Comodo Firewall, D+ verses other HIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ssj100, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

Kinda think this thread has lost its way somewhat and simply has descended into a tit for tat slanging match.

Probably best if a mod locks it down.

:rolleyes:

2. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Unbeatable demagogy trick. People like it very much :)

3. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

So just stop being ridiculous.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

*Ahem*, no one gives a bag of doggy doo who's in what school. Stick to the topic, which just so happens to be "Comodo Firewall, D+ verses other HIPS". That is all.

5. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

The topics like "A versus B" are a blind alley. If you haven't run a lot of tests in a proffecional way all you can say is just "I like it" or "I dislike it". The proper name for the thread should be "How much you like A, B, C versus other A, B, C".

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I do agree, which is why I'm surprised the thread has lasted 3 pages.

7. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

No surprise. People like to communicate :)

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

This is really fun, I am adding Melih's blog to the my Chrome's taskbad favorites. Oh :blink:

9. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Yeah, when i read him, i often think that, if he wasn't a software engineer, he could do the politician! He is great in giving speeches, he uses colourful expressions, he is good to sell ideals and most important, he can turn the tables to his favour!

I mean... Let's see it his way:

- What's the detection rate of Comodo?
    - 100% of the malware in its database.

- What's the detection rate of Avira?
    - 100% of the malware in its database.

Hence, Comodo's AV is as good as Avira's! :D :argh: He really cracked me up with that one! :D

10. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Also Melih "argues" its AV comparatives duty to give ALL their malware samples to AV vendors hence enabling comodo to improve their crappy AV!

If Melih doesn't care about money, why does he include the ask toolbar? Why did he agree to allow a 3rd party to repackage cis and sell it to unsuspecting users?

I also find Comodo's representatives overly aggressive and somewhat deceptive in pushing their product. No other rep here at Wilders is as aggressive. Personally I think Comodo is interested in only one thing, market share!

11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Well, to be fair, they (Comodo reps) aren't even here at Wilders to hawk their products. Whatever they may be doing, at least they're keeping it at their own forums.

12. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

First, allow me to say that I'm quite shocked to see the path this thread went.

The way it went shows only one thing: Lack of respect to the user who started this thread and to any other user who may have felt curiosity in reading it (such as me and who knows, new users coming here at Wilders).

I believe the user starting this thread, meant no harm, but only to know why would someone use a equivalent paid product, when there's such a great one for free. (I won't discuss the toolbars or paid versions, as it is pointless in this specific thread.) At some point, I also had my questions. What's the catch. Such a great security tool for free? Come on, there has to be a catch... All those questions...

To the user, who started this thread, I can't tell you why some would prefer to pay over a free product, which does the same job, either at the same level or better.

Perhaps, some, in their past, tried it and didn't like the way it works? Or caused them some problem? I've had a few issues in the past with it (not so long ago) and I went to Outpost, but now I'm back on COMODO, as I can't afford to spend extra money on a new license.

So, I can say that Outpost (HIPS module) never gave me the problems that COMODO (Defense+ module) gave me. I'm now back on COMODO and I hope that the problems I related on their forum gets solved somehow, as I need to operate with the tool, Defense+ conflicts with. I even gave them a suggestion... No feedback from a developer yet, but I hope for an answer to see if what I suggested is worth trying. It will be better than not doing nothing, since no else could reproduce my problem.

So, it is a matter if those users just didn't like how it worked or if it caused any conflicts, and since they didn't find any other free alternative as great, they went to paid products... That's my guess.

Now, if someone else saying that X is great and that Y is not that great, although they never actually used it... Well... Just don't listen to them.

My advice: If you know how to interpret a HIPS alert, then test a few and use the ones that you're able to deal with better and that gives (if any) less problems.

Hope this helps.

Regards

13. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Amen!

Ice

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

A few off topic posts removed. This thread is not helpful or productive and is now closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.