Comodo Firewall, D+ verses other HIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ssj100, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssj100

ssj100 Guest

First Comodo is completely free. Secondly, it is probably the most user friendly, and yet can be configured quite specifically for advanced users.

I'd just like an opinion from our more advanced users (that's right, I'm talking to people like you EASTER!) about why they don't use Comodo? Is paying that extra 30 or so bucks for eg. Malware Defender etc really worth it?

Thanks for your comments.

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

comodo is good but MD is faster than comodo plus in my case i love to help in developing this wonderfull softwares to kill malware:D
    note:in my case i dont like to install or use any antivirus at all:D

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

well here using xp and very smooth like silk,the only thing is that MD generates alot more pop ups than comodo with normal mode on:)
    comodo is not under rated here alot of guys here use it and i tested and really impress me alot:thumb: the defense+ feature of the app is what i like about comodo and with out it comodo will not be comodo(comodo in spanish means confortable;) :) :D )

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

only one chinesse guy:D

5. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Can Comodo D+ and MD be used together?

6. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I've not used MD personally but it performs the same function as D+ so I wouldn't recommend running both together.

7. curious george

curious george Registered Member

Personally, if i was actually the download freak i was a year or two ago, i'd use Comodo. Its an awesome product, and its D+ is good too....its not underrated...at all.

8. sded

sded Registered Member

When I was using D+, thought it was as good as any (used it for a year or so, but not since October). Logging sucks (can't log successes, selectively logs failures, other quirks) but not critical for most users. Also didn't always update the permissions tables based on your inputs. See the Comodo website for a host of other nonfatal issues. Popups are really an initial nuisance, but after running for a while you don't see anything except responses to new programs. Haven't really used the CIS version, but since most of the effort was going into the AV probably not a lot of changes. Like the OA HIPS just as well, BTW, and find it has fewer annoyances. Perhaps OA is not as configurable, but D+ was enough of a PITA that I never migrated it to my other computers-too much maintenance involved, even though I had used it for a year. Also, if you are using the Comodo firewall, D+ is designed to complement it and fill in things like proxy holes, DDE and SPI issues, ... to make the package complete. So using something else along with it makes a lot more sense than trying to replace it. But a very good classical HIPS if you spend some time with it. :) If I were using Comodo D+ today I would probably try adding Prevx Edge to the mix, based on the extensive discussion at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=225190 and my own experience with Edge over the past few weeks.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes you can i tried both together as testing purpose but they do same thing so i have to choose and it was malware defender:D they both very good;)

10. 3xist

3xist Guest

Disagreeing with sded. Seriously if OA people or whatever have nothing nice to say about Comodo, then don't say it at all.

ssj100 - D+ Will suite your needs very well. Even CIS is very powerful and light & fast and configurable. You do NOT need something else running aside it, Best of all it's 100% free and don't need to pay for a version for extra features or stronger protection. Use "Proactive Security" in CIS and say goodbye to malware! Wait for v3.8 next Tuesday! :) (Fingers crossed).

Cheers,
    Josh

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool;)

12. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

As far as HIPS go, and I've used them for years, I find Comodo's D+ a bit of overkill.

I don't need their AV, I use Vipre, I don't need their firewall, I'm behind a NAT SPI router and as for HIPS I use EQSecure, with Alcyon's rulesets.

You think Comodo is light then you ain't seen nothing until you see EQS!!

I have nothing bad to say about D+ just personal gripes; the GUI is far too over complicated for me, it doesn't engage Proactive Defense automatically, so the average home user isn't properly protected straight out of the box and having to constantly review files is a chore especially as most people I know who have used it don't have a clue what its for or why!

It's a fantastic free offering but I find EQS faster, easier to view (GUI) and understand and so easy to create rules, it's also free.

I do recommend Comodo to home users when I setup systems, usually coupled with Avira's free AV but usually with the HIPS turned off as I constantly get emails and phone calls about pop-ups that they don't understand. The downside of HIPS!!

:thumb:

13. sded

sded Registered Member

Josh, I think I said that "D+ was as good as any" and that " it is a very good classical HIPS if you spend some time with it". I even said that the popups were only an initial problem that went away. What's not nice? Do you disagree with these comments? Generally I liked the product and said so. Is every discussion "Comodo against the world"? Or just against OA for some reason? I also have used and liked Zone Alarm and Kerio/ Sunbelt and others, (longer than OA) but have no basis for comparison of the HIPS recently. Does that make "Zone Alarm people" and "Kerio/Sunbelt people" against Comodo? Or PrevxEdge and Avast! people? I observed a few things as a year long user that I think should have been done better but weren't; maybe they are in the new version? Just stuff anyone could read off the Comodo forum website. Along with the current buglists and wishlists, which I haven't read. Continue with your Commercials for Comodo if you wish, but don't expect everyone to avoid discussions of actual experience with the product.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Disagreeing with 3xist. "If nothing nice to say... then don't say it at all". Huh? Try imagining what this forum would be like if that was the way people operated. ;)

15. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I think there's more in here than simple diverging opinions... Let's put it this way. Sded was a mod in Comodo forum (i only found out today). 3exist is a mod in Comodo forum. Sded at a point stops being a mod in the Comodo forum (who knows why, i bet it would be an interesting story) and soon you find him in OA beta test team. I am sure, the rest becomes self-explanatatory, specially if one goes back in post history time.

16. sded

sded Registered Member

Actually I was a beta tester for OA for Vista well before I stopped being a mod for Comodo. After all, I have more than one computer and don't use them all in the same way. I also stopped being a Comodo user before I stopped being a mod there. And never made a secret of it, and that I was waiting for the Comodo standalone firewall/D+ that was promised before I reinstalled Comodo on my main computer again. Still hasn't happened, but moved along and stopped waiting. I am/was also a beta tester for things like Avast! and Prevx Edge that I also use. I will repeat: I liked the Comodo firewall/D+ in spite of some issues and used it for a year, and said so in my posting. And felt free to be critical while I was still a user over some of the same issues. So what is your "self explanatory" point, Fuzzfas? That only fanboys can use a product, or ?

17. Fuzzfas

In my view, by looking your past posts , the point where you stopped being Comodo mod is becoming rather obvious. There is a bitter "touch" about Comodo in your posts. Just my imagination maybe, after reading your post history in Wilders'. How can i say it, i think lately you discovered a whole new "negative" world in Comodo and not so in OA. You seem to be interested very much in OA and Comodo with a standard pattern on whether you will say a good word for each. Just my impression.

Honestly, your critisism lately towards Comodo would have NEVER made me guess that you were once a mod of it!

I especially liked this one:
    "Gee, the OP and many of the other posters are Comodo users, trying to figure out whether they are happy with some of the Comodo decisions. I am happy with what OA did, consistent with Aigle's study, but there are lots of other solutions out there."
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1392648&postcount=62

I must say, Sded, for someone that notes that others are Comodo users, you shouldn't be shocked when someone notes that you were a Comodo mod. And apparently not harbouring so many good feelings about it since you parted... Is there a SINGLE time since you stopped being mod in Comodo when you posted about Comodo to actually say something good? Just curious.

As i said "see post history" gave me an idea. I bet if i search when you were a Comodo mod, you would speak better for Comodo then. I love it when people find all good things for their "new product of heart" while you only find them posting all the negative on their "ex loved product". Specially when they stopped being mods of the one.

By reading your post history, i would have never guessed! :D

18. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Things change, people talk, product evolved, some folks moved on.
    Live and let live. Peace and all that :)

19. Fuzzfas

If depended on me, next to the "AV A vs AV B" is prohibited rule, i would add a new rule:

"Members involved in Comodo and OA projects are prohibited to comment on the other product".

I 've had enough with the Comodo vs OA wars saga. Having the simple users is enough. Having also "current vs ex mods" is getting ridiculous.

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

or we can get some boxing globes and start hitting each other:cool:

21. Fuzzfas

Maybe we can arrange a boxing match Mike Nash vs Melih :D The followers of the loser won't have the right to attack the "adversary" program for 1 year. :D

My money is on Mike Nash (haven't seen his photo, but have seen Melih and i don't think he can take much beating).

No, honestly, i am fed up of walking into "OA threads" and seeing bashing, then looking at signature of the basher and find "Comodo" and the opposite going for "Comodo threads". Not just in here! The phenomenon is international. Happens in every country's fora. You see a topic about Comodo? Sooner or later, someone with "OA" in his sig, will go to bash Comodo or go off topic just to say "how happy he is about OA" and the opposite in "OA threads" with "Comodo users" just go to say that "Since i used Comodo i never looked back". (sounds like a washing maching cleaning powder commercial).

The worst is when some unaware newbies go into a forum and start the "thread of HELL": "Please help me choose. Which is better? Comodo or OA?" Then it's when the horsemen of the Apocalypse are unleashed and the nuclear forum war begins! :ninja:

22. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Just the way i like it :thumb:

23. sded

sded Registered Member

Actually my criticisms of Comodo when I was a mod usually got me in trouble. :) Pretty much the same as now if you go read their forum. I remember the quote-think the posters were accused of not appreciating Comodo and being jealous that it was free, while ignoring that many of them (including AIGLE) use Comodo, not OA or some other product, And to repeat again, I used and liked Comodo FW/D+, still think it is a very good product, as I said in my original post. Are you looking for unconditional love, perhaps? I rarely identified myself as a mod here while I was, still sometimes mention it where appropriate now. But usually irrelevant to the discussions. No more than if Josh identifies himself as a high school student.
    If you do a Comodo search, try things like "logging sucks". ;) Or look at my comments about the Scot's blog bribery fiasco, the attack on AV Comparatives, the deal with PC Shield, the SSUpdater saga, or ... But I spent most of my time helping users work around Comodo issues, and tried to avoid most of the Social Networking and Marketing aspects of the forums. And did the same thing here on Wilders, vs now mostly warning about the issues.
    I do usually beta test the products I think I might use to get more familiar with them, and then support their user forums as kind of a payback-that is what I did at Comodo.
    So to more directly respond to the original poster, I think he should keep D+ and the Comodo firewall, and also take a look at Prevx Edge as a supplement along with Malware Defender, which I just haven't used.
    And Melih personally told me he doesn't care about OA, he is after the big boys-Symantec and McAfee, so why all the commotion o_O

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thats true

25. Fuzzfas

As i said, i looked in your post history and saw a clear pattern. Old posts, positive about Comodo. You were even helping a user to understand the "many intrusions". Now you post about the "intrusions" to bash Comodo about it.

In OA you post like you used in your old Comodo posts (always good things). Nothing more.

I just find it weird for someone that has been Comodo mod and in 2006 was saying it was "excellent product", to post now only to point its negative aspects really and even have fun on "Comodo users". I 've seen various times ex mods that at the end became the worst attackers of their old product.

P.S: If one day you abbandon OA beta test team and the product alltogether and start finding only negative things about OA, while adding "it's a good product", i will say the same about OA. Personally, i know that both Comodo and OA have their weak spots and each user has different tastes. If i were to bash them, i could effectively bash BOTH of them, as i have bashed Comodo for Melih's actions against Nash and for including the Ask toolbar.

I mean, i can start bashing selectively and persistently OA while adding "still, good product". And always praise Comodo and propose it to users. That WOULD make people somewhat suspicious, wouldn't it, specially if i also happened to be former OA mod and currently Comodo beta tester.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.