Comodo Firewall Configuration

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tekkaman, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

Well short intro ^^. I started working in an office recently. I used to bring my laptop to work but now they bought me a desktop at work so now I don't really have to bring the laptop with me unless necessary. In this new desktop I decided to try Comodo again. Last version I used was 3.x so I wanted to see what's new. The thing is I never see Comodo Firewall blocking anything. And I'm talking about the firewall perse not Defense+. My laptop has Outpost 7.0 and I'm used to seeing it blocking port scans when I bring it at work. But with Comodo in the desktop pc I never see anything in the logs. This is not an A VS B thread. I just want to know if it's an error in my configuration or if there is an explanation for this. Thanks in advance ^^

2. Clench Tightly

Clench Tightly Registered Member

Have you enabled logging??

If logging on your inbound block rules is not enabled, CIS will block but not record the event.

CT :)

3. tekkaman

It's enabled. And I should edit that it it does display warnings when a new aplication wants to connect. But what I don't see is alerts about inbound attacks like port scanning.

4. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Like he said, you have to enable logging on your incoming block rules.

5. tekkaman

I'm going to check and post a screenshot of the configuration. But I'm starting to think that the firewall component of Comodo only blocks outbound and not inbound.

6. Espresso

Actually, I don't have any incoming block rules and I get dropped packets logged. Maybe you could try the Stealth Ports Wizard.

I run Custom Policy with Alert settings at Very High and all checked except the Internet Connection gateway option.

7. tekkaman

Here are the screenshots. Anything I should change ?

Attached Files:

8. Espresso

That's alright. What are your alert settings like? If your Alert Frequency Level is below Medium, you will not get log entries for blocked incoming packets.

9. tekkaman

They're in the default "low" I didn't knew that had to do with the logs. I'll try it and post back.

10. Espresso

That's your problem. Set it to Medium and you'll see log entries.

11. tekkaman

Still no logs about firewall component.

12. Espresso

Strange. Try setting it to High then. Medium works for me.

13. tekkaman

ok since the computer is in the office I need file sharing enabled to be able to connect to an Access database. For that it asks if it's a trusted network or not. It asked that when I first installed it. Could it be that if it's set that way it lets everything pass ? In Outpost you can set to enable only netbios. But I still get a lot of things blocked this way in the packet log and occasionally I see port scans that get blocked. So I think that in Comodo if a network is trusted for file sharing then it just lets anything through.

14. Espresso

It shouldn't. I assume you're behind a router so that's probably why you're not seeing anything, as the router is blocking all unrequested packets. Change one of your firewall rules (eg. web browser) to block and set logging for the rule to see if it shows up in the log.

15. tekkaman

You mean blocking a local program from network access ? If that's what you mean. It works and it shows up in the log. It's a 2Wire router. I think it has interesting features the router perse. When there's a virus it stops internet.

16. Espresso

Your router is blocking everything. If it has a log for dropped packets, you can check that. I have my computer in the DMZ on my router so I get everything passed to my computer and blocked/logged by Comodo.

17. Persian Boy

Persian Boy Registered Member

Look at the screen shot.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

18. zakazak

zakazak Registered Member

why do u only have 4 rules? :eek:

i have way more.. also added your rule which u descriped.. so basically this rule is there to log the ip of every blocked incomming connection?
    (added screen of my network policy)

i also have a question about ports: there are some ports in the port section listed. these are the ports which are open & allowed right?
    So everything else gets blocked? So e.g. if i want to use torrents, i would add the torrent port to the list in comodo.. but the thing is: i didnt and still my torrents work fine?

Attached Files:

19. Persian Boy

Persian Boy Registered Member

I didn't change the default settings. Maybe because I use "Proactive Security" mode in Configuration.

20. Espresso

I only have 1 rule and that's for ICMP. I have all blocked packets logged.

IIRC, global rules are applied first to incoming packets so if you have a block rule for all incoming packets, nobody will be able to connect to any of your listening ports (eg. bittorrent, emule, etc)

21. zakazak

@persianboy: i have proactive security too
    @espresso: so what exactly is that rule doing which persian boy added with his screenshots?

anybody knows why i have so many rules? :eek: is smth wrong there? i didnt change anything

22. Espresso

persianboy has a global allow rule that appears to allow all outgoing connections unless it is blocked by an application rule, not something I would do.

He also has two ICMP rules which are made redundant by the preceding rule which covers all IP, including ICMP.

His last rule is a block rule for ALL incoming connections, which is ok if you don't have any programs that listen to connections but it will block programs like emule (lowID) and bittorrent.

You have a couple sets of allow rules for VMWARE zones and one for your home network, and the rest are standard ICMP rules that may be default or are added by the stealth ports wizard. Nothing to be concerned about.

Rules in Comodo are processed as follows:

Outgoing Packets --> <Application Rules> <--> <Global Rules> <-- Incoming Packets

23. Jav

Jav Guest

If you go to "stealth wizard" and choose "block all incoming connections" third rule. You will have the same rules as him.

And regarding the rule he changed: He just enabled logging for blocked incoming connections. Now logs will show all blocked incoming connections as OP wanted.

24. zakazak

So is his last rule blocking all incomming connection or just logging all blocked incomming connections?

i added the rule to mine and utorrent works fine so far :)

25. Espresso

His last rule BLOCKS and LOGS all incoming connections. uTorrent will work but you are esentially in firewalled mode so you have to connect to other computers, they can't connect to you (less efficient, overall). If you use emule, you will see that you get a lowid when connecting to servers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.