Comodo DACS (Distributed and Collaborative Scanning)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guest, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

DACS will see if the AV detects it or not, what you get back as far as I understood is the result of the AV installed in the collaborator's computer, the comunity user just concede the bandwidth and computer power to do it.

All this probably will be done automatically I mean, there will not be a person clicking on 10,000 popups a day.

2. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

This is the much-anticipated DACS?

Where to start... Comodo admits failure to provide a liveable AV product by introducing parasitic network analysis.

Comodo talks about empowering users but walks about wanting to be the focus of attention in the AV industry. If infamy is really what they want, this should do it.

3. malexous

malexous Registered Member

As soon as I open Hitman Pro, I see the names and logos of Hitman Pro's partners. When an engine detects a threat, the logo of that engine is displayed in the drop-down.
    In SurfRight's shop, you can buy bundles of software with the Hitman Pro's partners' products.

4. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

Well if i read what Melih said then its not automatic:

"Its the end user who decides to scan a file and tell the result to the community.

Melih"

5. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

So due to Comodo's incompetence to keep their AV on par with the latest threats they expect the end user to become a "virus analyst" and do the work for them by helping them in blacklisting bad files?
    If they already have CIS default deny why bother with this?

6. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

the cloud scaning is gone from comodoo_O

8. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I have to admit. As an user of comodo and anticipated release of DACS, I'm kind of disappointed. I was expecting a new technology that was going to blow the lid of the industry. Instead we get a program that leeches of another companies efficiency and skill. Unless I'm missing something because I haven't read the whole blog yet. This sound similar to the "community" concept that immunet uses. Just at a maybe larger scale and automatically.

9. guest

guest Guest

It's not just Comodo incompetence is the whole AV industry.
    The user dont need to become anything, the AV scann the file and you get the results back that all. The user just decide if he want to share the results or not. Anyway we are speculating here, the important thing is how fast it is, I think we will be testing the beta soon.

In order to improve the detection, to help the people to have their computer clean, providing them for free with the best on-demand scanner, even if the have Comodo, Norton or any other AV.

The Cloud Scanner will not disappear will be working as always on CIS, he is talking about Comodo Cloud Scanner, a stand alone app that will be back with DACS.

10. 3x0gR13N

Sorry, but a 3rd party application cannot read/decipher another AVs processes/files to obtain results from it, for it's own (DACS') detection rate efficiency increase:
    -due to self defense of the AV and particular encryption they employ on their files/program resources (well, they could, but it would be a hell of a big job to do)
    -it's not legal.

So it can't be an automated process, it must have user interaction. Have you read this quote?
    Why would I even bother myself with this in the first place when there are ondemand scanners like HMP and Wuzzup which do the job for me (i.e automatically classify files' status in the cloud backend and serve them to me)?
    DACS is highly dependent on the number of users, because for it to have the best detection rates it must be installed on a number of different machines with a number of different AVs with as much "unknown" files flux through those mentioned machines. Given that, it's also highly likely that there will be some results poisoning.

Comodo complains about AV comp. not sharing samples. They do infact share them, to some degree. There are also malware analysis and sharing sites. There are users who send undetected samples. There is a feature in CIS to send unknown samples for analysis.
    And hey, there are independent testing organizations like AVC (AMTSO compliant) who send undetected samples to vendors. How about Comodo participates in such tests and receives a plethora of undetected samples?

11. guest

guest Guest

1st Do you know what is an OCR technology?, can be used for many things not just to recognize documents, you can recognize almost anything even faces, shapes, for this thing is not called OCR but the idea is the same
    For automate almost any task http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/index.shtml
    Then 5 minutes later the user can click on send all the restults back, and still there is user interaction.

2nd You are making up things that we don't know yet
    I think you missed this quote from the first post.
    So all the problems that you are pointing are already gone

DACS will also do that, the interface will be something like this:
    http://www.freeantivirushelp.com/news/content/binary/comodo_cloud_scanner_scan_results.jpg

12. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

The evolution in time:

2009 (The Rebel Spirit) (AkA "D+, my true love")

April 2010 (The Legend Lives On)

October 2010 (The Return to the Origins)

13. 3x0gR13N

Which part? Probably because the provided quotes aren't clear and in some cases partially contradict themselves. But, aren't you making things up as well then? like=>
    lol Good luck with that...:rolleyes:
    ...apart from that then there's nothing "revolutionary" or "groundbreaking" about it. It's just another ondemand cloud/community scanner. And it will remain such unless I see something worth bothering and installing it for.

14. sded

sded Registered Member

From the RSA2011 conference agenda:
    "TECH-403 - Is it Time to Put HIPS in the Recycle Bin?"
    Time for a new story? Or DACS is actually a bunch of stories depending on where you read and where in the timeline the statements are set. Even "on demand, requested by user" vs "fully automatic when detected by DACS" to "on access" seem to get their day. Just a question of bandwidth and computer cycles, after all. SMOP. But "Lord DACS" was/is really over the top, even for Comodo hype.

15. guest

guest Guest

If you want the context of the quotes go to the source, Comodo forum, if you have any question ask in the forum, I only can tell you what I read in the forum.

Don't worry about the OCR, I know programers that have done things more difficult than that, what you can think that is complicated for other people is not.

In fact I see everybody worried about this can not be done, but this is already done, the mods have been testing it for weeks, and soon will be avaliable for free for everybody, so you will be able to test it to see if it's what you expected or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2010
  16. 3x0gR13N

My point is that it cannot be an automatic process of gathering by the DACS program itself what another AV says about a certain file- it's illegal because the program itself is directly harvesting other AV results and detections (w/ or w/o user consent, doesn't matter). I never said it's impossible to reverse engineer AV software, but does IObit ring a bell? Read you own quotes in the first post:
    "The user" not "DACS", hence the manual process/user input is required.

17. guest

guest Guest

So what?
    I don't care what you think becuase you have the same info that I have and you are making things up like I'm, also I don't care how they do it.
    But here are the facts, what I really care:
    They say that with 80 contributors can easily handle the whole input...
    Actually comodo has around 35mill users according to them, they say that DACS is ready to handle this input (remember that the actual version of CIS automatically upload the unknown files to the cloud) from this users and much more.

I really don't care how they do it as soon I get the results back quickly.

If you want information about the process don't ask here because nobody could help you, ask in Comodo forums.

18. 3x0gR13N

If they already have submissions of unknown files from 35mil. people using CIS why would they even need those 80(+) users telling them what verdicts other AVs have on unknown files. After all, they already received the unknown files without DACS and it's up to their Virus analysts to add AV detection for malicious ones (instead of relying on the (handful of) users; see post 30). Simply release a standalone on demand (cloud) scanner like Comodo already had in the past- there's no need for "user feedback" part of DACS. :)
    No matter how I slice it, I don't see anything revolutionary from what has been laid out here and I doubt I'll be "blown away" when I see the actual program. But then that's marketing for you.

19. guest

guest Guest

I really dont care if Comodo AV is the worst in the word, I just want the best detection for free and Comodo is gonna provide it. So you can continue attacking Comodo, or saying Comodo AV is soo bad that... I dont care.

Oh!, of course this is nothing new, could you tell me please where I can scan my computer with 40 av's at the same time for free?

20. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

A fundamental misunderstanding. Comodo is not going to provide "the best detection for free". Other AVs are going to provide it. As others have said Comodo has produced a leeching application. If it all amounts to nothing then other AV companies will ignore just ignore it. If it starts to become 'popular' watch for a change in the EULAs, bringing it to an end.

21. guest

guest Guest

Ok, Comodo is not gonna do it, a misterious company will make a misterious app that will provide the possibility of scan your computer with 40 av's from other misterious companies. The history can be written with the taste you preffer :D

22. guest

guest Guest

HERE IS THE "SECRET"

About the EULAS:
    1st post updated

23. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

Well the dacs response time must be quicker then of CAMAS because the default timeout setting is 180 seconds. Killswitch gives you a nice view of whats going on on your pc.

24. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

guest,

you do know about virustotal, right? ;)
    If yes, why all the excitement?

Panagiotis

25. guest

guest Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.