Comodo Cloud Scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ibrad, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progress

progress Guest

Hehe, well done Comodo :D

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Well Blue, You might as well admit it, you need help.

So why not get it from the best, from Melihhhh

Luckily you are not the only one with lots of infictions, read the post of Dch48 (a Comodo Hero), all his hardware related stuf was considered malware

He made the same decision: uninstall comodo cloud scanner

On seconds thought, maybe it is really a brilliant marketing scheme
    a) first you provide security for free
    b) next you offer paid on-line help
    c) bummer the security software you made is so good no one wants your paid help service
    d) then: add a new service which trashes your PC
    f) now they need your help
    h) that will teach them
    i) blame it all on http://www.comodo.tv/home-computing/avoiding-viruses-from-adult-content-sites/

Cheers Kees

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That made me crack up :D It sure seems that way though, doesn't it? I don't know what's going on over there. Whether it's their brilliant boss (I say that incredibly sarcastically) trying to be the next Steve Jobs, with all the creativity and cracking of the whip but minus the common sense. Whether they are trying to be a "one-stop shop" (in which case they better start making sure more than 1 out of 10 products they cook up are actually decent).

I don't know which reason it is, if any, but they, in my eyes at least, are are a little too quickly becoming non-reputable, and, in fact, laughable.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well, if it's a beta offering, it should be labeled as such. There are no indications that this was released as a beta pilot, it's clearly labeled as a "public release".

That said, I do tend to cut developers slack on initial field releases. The computing ecosystem sampled on initial field release is generally a lot broader than that encountered even in extensive beta testing. However, there are certain performance floors that a developer should be obligated to meet. This product doesn't meet even the lowest thresholds that I could imagine.

The fact of the matter, if this application were not associated with Comodo but had instead released by some newly appearing and unknown website, it would have been immediately dismissed as a rogue application. That speaks volumes regarding the technical quality and underlying issues of this release.

Blue

5. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Wow...

That's brutal. Kernel32.dll, comctl32.dll, just to name a few? If any of these could be removed or deleted, many apps wouldn't even work anymore. I'm sorry, but shame on you Comodo.

6. Hello Guys

I have to say this release was a bit disappointing my self. However, It has now been renamed to BETA based on user feedback and I also created a beta corner for it so only registered comodo forums users can see it. This is going to work with CIMA, (Comodo Instant Malware Analysis) it will have that functionality in this cloud scanner, as well as the cloud signatures.

Sorry for any inconvenience. CIMA issues will be resolved hopefully next week.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
  7. Kees1958

Hey 3Exist,

I know a little of branding/identity management (the marketing not security version), I can save Melihhh a lot of money with a consult of less than 1 hour. I will give you a hint (Dutch saying):

"Reputation is build on foot, but runs away on wild horses".

Especially when your opening line in the about us is "The Comodo companies are leading global providers of Identity and Trust Assurance services on the Internet .

By the way: the new all red identity looks great, also the photo's are well chosen and photo shopped. No matter what all wheenies on your forum say about the identity. The colour red is well chosen considering the country of birth of Meligg (Turkeys flag colours) and associations of the Comodo dragon of Indonesia (although the name was chosen badly in the first place: the Comodo dragon has so much bacteria / virusses in his mouth that one bite is lethal for most people when untreated, but there is allready so much capital build in the name that this can not be changed anymore).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  8. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi Kees

Your comments are valid if a little gentle on Comodo/Melih.

The fact is the way that Comodo is performing is approaching that of a circus. It does not give the feeling of considered solidity.

It appears to me that too many projects are on the go at once, some introduced too quickly and without a great deal of thought.

The one outstanding product, yet still not complete in the sense of its user friendliness is Comodo Firewall. I would like to use other Comodo products but I simply don't trust them.

They do do need someone at the top who does not bounce around like a clown. Chief Executives/ Chairmen are supposed to add thought processes coupled with gravitas as well as pushing projects along.

Comodo needs to scale down its offering until those that continue have some form of robustness.

Terry

9. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Fair point there.The current situation is like those stage performers spinning plates on poles.More and more spinning as the act progresses but a bit embarrassing when one smashes.

They need to slow down and work on making CIS4 and CTM fully stable and keep the other stuff to in-house beta testing until ready for prime time.

10. sded

sded Registered Member

Certainly seems like a strange way to instill confidence in users already conditioned to fake AVs and such. How can this be called a beta when it is not even close to something that could be tested by the outside world? Or is it just a test of the paid interface?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  11. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

"Your computer is at risk!" + pretty GUI reminds me of... :ninja::argh:

@Kees1958
    The comodo dragon part made me thinking. Any other AV/FW company named after an animal aside from Panda? Giant Pandas spend most of their time eating. Same for Panda vlab? I guess so. The vlab spends most of its time eating malware. :D:D

12. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Guys, i guess this product is Beta Release or Alpha Release, As we know that Comodo Group has some sort of good reputation in Cyber World. They won't do such a huge mistakes. Might be they marked it wrongly.

Lets not get into any kind of result, we should wait and watch for further developments. I am sure that at least they are aware of this problem and soon they will gonna rectify it.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Kees, Terrywood and Andyman.. Very good points and I agree with you but you know what is my guess? I guess Comodo will continue to act like this. I don,t think they will be ready to learn from their mistakes. It,s just my guess based upon their past history. i will be really happy if they can modify their approach.

It,s much better for them to just concentrate upon CTM and CIS at the moment.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s not beta, not even alpha. It seems just a joke, sorry to say.

15. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

They did not mark it wrongly because it was released to the public, if it was supposed to be a beta it would have only been available in there forum for registered users. Here is a statement that Melih posted Yesterday-

"Guys
    We have noted the issues..
    the biggest issue is of reporting some files as suspicious which is clearly wrong. This is due to CIMA not working. We are working on getting it to work, hope to get it sorted early next week. In the meanwhile, the worst can happen is we have more users claiming their 30 day free support from us! So this actually costs us money Sad
    Anyway, once this is functioning as it should, then it will be a very useful tool for extending CIMA functionality very easily to any PC without having to install an AV etc.
    I have renamed the release to a BETA release status until CIMA is sorted."

Melih

I am glad that they named it too a BETA and hope they get it worked out. A lot of users seem real dissapointed on their forums.

16. sded

sded Registered Member

Some (including Comodo) need a little more understanding of software life cycles: alphas, closed betas, open betas, release candidates, ... so as not to confuse so many of the potential users. I agree with Aigle; this is just a frivolous public release with some unknown purpose.

17. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

I don't really fancy the new color scheme... makes the company look like a rogue, imho.

And this result is bad for their company image.. even if it was BETA, they should've at least released a "working" BETA.

Now I have a grudge.. something clearly isn't right here.
    And the fact that it's a cloud-based scanner makes me more worried.

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah, we like to complain a lot!!

BTW, i may try this on my other pc :D

19. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

Im gonna try it again when they get CIMA working and see if that makes any difference. I have no use for a program like this but I want to know if it at least can work correctly.
    And if we didn't complain we would not have much to talk about.

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm not sure what you could possibly expect people to do when a product is released in the condition this was. I mean, really, based on your previous posts, I HAVE to ask: Have you even bothered to try the thing on any of your systems yet, or are you just saying what you are because, POS or not, if a program is free, you want it? When a company is as lazy as Comodo was to pull a stunt like this, and I get told half the files that allow my system to even turn on are "suspicious" or, god forbid, malware, you're damned right I'm going to complain about it.

No matter now anyway, they put it back in the lab where it belongs.

21. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Agree 100%

Just another reason I dont support comodo software,period.

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Oh well, you caught me :D

Yeah, the program should have not been released with all these faults. :gack:

:thumb: :thumb:

23. dlimanov

dlimanov Registered Member

I just looked at it again and it looks like a rogue A/V. No thanks.

24. Kees1958

I really appreciate Comodo FireWall and CTM. The comments were made with best intentions. I share your remarks.

25. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

It's a good thing they've got 'reputation' to back them up.. namely their online certification and their software firewall suite. ;)

If this was made by a rather unheard developer, it would be quickly dismissed as a rogue by most (if not all) Wilders members. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.