Comodo CIS v4 Not Bullet Proof

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by The Source, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

My opinion is that CIS will get most of its bugs ironed out. As others have said that AV has come a long way as well. Given some time...who knows how long...CIS will be an excellent free security suite.

2. Ummmm...

Apps that are automatically sandboxed can DROP files, but they can not:

1 - Do any Admin stuff
    2 - Modify/Infect any protected registry key
    3 - Modify/Infect any protected file

So they can drop files but can not do harm to the system. Right now, Automatic Virtualization is not enabled by default so Defense+ is tweaked to block file system/registry access for sandboxed applications. This is why Malwarebytes can still find dropped files, but these files aren't active and doing anything malicious.

3. The Source

The Source Registered Member

Thats the way it is suppose to work but it doesn't work that way with Comodo at present. Maybe they will get it figured out for there users soon.

I'm out of here, I have a long ride in the morning and then a 4 hr. flight tomorrow afternoon.

Regards
    T. S.

4. So if that's not how it works... What has been observed malicious against CIS?
    Has anyone observed system malfunction? Pls post.

5. ratwing

ratwing Guest

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Very nice reference. Rain drops on a t-34 tank. The comodo Kool aid. MMMmmm

7. Your joking right? Bringing back the past?

I will quote what I said about this on the Comodo Forums.
    http://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cis/this-says-it-all-t55006.0.html

And yes... Comodo is now back on Softpedia. And a understanding of how domain validation works further helps (These certs can't be verified), So any malware author can buy one as long as they pay cash. Verisign and BigDaddy are NO different, and are in the same boat.

8. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

You mean GoDaddy and those two don't distribute security products as well. :rolleyes:

9. Off course they don't.

My statement was made referring DOMAIN VALIDATION Certificates. GoDaddy etc distrbute those certs just like Comodo, just like Verisign. And these certs cannot VERIFY the owner of those certs (Fake AV people can buy them no problem and SSL there site)... Unlike Extended Validation Certificates - Which is the new standard with proper and acceptable procedures in place to verify a EV Owner.

10. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Ah! T-34, you are a tank connoisseur. Well I'm more of a heavy fire power kind of guy; thus I'll go with the IS-2. :D

Thanks.

11. ratwing

ratwing Guest

@Dragonjosh:

You can believe/defend what you choose.

"2) Softpedia: If you search Softpedia, COMODO Software is back on there now, Since Comodo won legally over them saying HopSurf is adware. Comodo made them change the terms and they did."

Absolutely!! And O.J Simpson was found not guilty of murder.

@CogitoTesting:

yes that mighty gun,and low silhouette of "The Uncle Joe" (IS-2)
    makes for a fearsome beast. It had a little late WW2 service didn't it?

@ALIV who said:"You mean GoDaddy and those two don't distribute security products as well."

That hits at the heart of the matter my friend!!

rat

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2010
  12. lol Defending/believe what I choose? Do some research on Softpedia..

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Security-Related/COMODO-Internet-Security.shtml

COMODO won legally over Softpedia, made them change there term AD-WARE to AD-SUPPORTED, and now Comodo are back on the site. The facts are right infront of you mate.

Don't worry... We all make mistakes. ;)

13. ratwing

ratwing Guest

"Don't worry... We all make mistakes."

Indeed we do. Some of us even learn from them.

respect
    rat

14. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Mistakes that even cost people lost time,money,aggravation because of problematic software like Comodo Time Machine :thumbd:

Instead of worrying about what people are saying about firewalls and defending yourself,etc,you and the developers have a bigger issue to tackle,since this is causing people to have non-operational PC's with this garbage.

15. 1) I'm not a Developer. So yes I'm good to tackle misleading half cocked BS.
    2) I have CTM installed on many friends and families PC's and it works fine.
    3) Pls post the issues your having in the Comodo Forums, with system details so the devs can see exactly the issue.

16. I'm glad you learnt from your mistake and finally realized that Softpedia now has Comodo back and the fact that anyone can buy a domain validation certificate and SSL their site. ;)

17. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Dragons Forever:

I was not talking about softpedia at all.
    I was talking about a security product vendor distributing security certs to malware domains.

the mistake I have learned from is the pointlessness of debating you guys.

I also thank there are three kinds of core,Comodo users:

1. The noobie,thrilled with a "comprehensive" security suite
    and cornucopia of nifty software for free,and charmed by Comodo TV and Melihs "Pied Piper Of Security" antics,and the "Mouseketeers" nature of your Forum.

2.The dyed in the wool,hard core, (I have found meaning in my life!!) Comodo fanboi.

3. And the some what more cynical,street wise user that likes the software,while being willing to over look the shady nature of the company.

Which one of those three groups are going to be open to discussion?

So,yes Sir,my mistakes have taught me a few things.
    I am wasting breath.

rat

18. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

and ur wasting energy typing ;)

19. subset

subset Registered Member

So what?
    It's no secret that distributors of ad-ware prefer the term ad-supported for their software.
    But does this make any difference for the users or related to the fact that it is a source of revenue for Comodo?
    Keep on dreaming.

Cheers

20. What the hell are you going on about? Off course it's not a secret. I didn't say it was a secret. Softpedia made a mistake and marked CIS as adware, removed CIS from their site, after legal battles, Softpedia finally changed their terminology and it's now "Ad-Supported" and CIS is back on. That's all there is too it. I have no idea where you got revenue from.

@Ratwing: You referenced a LINK that contains so called "Comodo giving certs to malware authors" and "Softpedia has removed Comodo from their site" And I don't really have to repeat my self. And NOW you say your only talking about Certificates? Okay. As I said before:

1) Domain Validation Certificates can NOT be VERIFIED! As long as you have money in your pocket, anyone can grab such certificates. Hence why some people can see Fake AV Sites with SSL Encyption because they are using Domain Validation Certificates, provided by not just Comodo, but also by GoDaddy, Verisign etc who still sell these certificates. There is no vaildation for these certificate.

2) Extended Validation Certificates, introduced in 2005, are the new standard and PROPER procedures are in place to verify whom is the ownership of this certificate, this involves a legal letter too for proof. This is why Domain Validation Certificates are still on malware authors site. Can't verify them. It sucks big time, but nothing can be done about it and malware authors continue to get free trials/buy these certificates for their site.

Read this, it outlines well why DOMAIN VAILDATION should NOT be trusted: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/17/domain_name_problems/ See at the beginning it mentions: An incredible 77 per cent of internet domains - nearly 90 million internet addresses - are registered with false, incomplete, or unverifiable information. - A good chunk of this is malware sites!

Hope this clarifies!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2010
  21. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Softpedia made the right call,and then backed down.

The reason is a internal Softpedia mystery,that I have no
    knowledge,or ability to plumb.

22. And why do you think they backed down? Because they actually knew in the first place accusing CIS of adware was wrong, and they changed their terminology and put Comodo Software back on the website. ;)

Did you read my above post and the link on Domain Validation Certificates?

23. ratwing

ratwing Guest

I do see Josh,and you are 100% correct.

rat

24. Thank you! Debate over.

25. subset

subset Registered Member

Ad-ware and ad-supported (software) means exactly the same.
    Great victory. :p

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.