Comodo BOClean and Restricted Zone

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Vietnam Vet, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Recently installed this app to try it out. First notice of trouble was with SpywareBlaster. At random, checkmarks for restricted sites would become unchecked, usually 1 or 2 items, no particular pattern. Used ZonedOut and really was impressed by its list. From a fully populated list of 25,208 items, each time ZonedOut is refreshed, the number changes dramatically: 12,059, 11,357, 12,045, 8,439, 13,018 items...you get the idea.:eek: I should mention that I use IE-SpyAd as well as SpywareBlaster.

I am not sure whether or not the items are actually removed from the restricted zone, or if CBOClean is somehow interfering with the ability to see the true number. Opening the restricted zone is much faster as if the number of items listed is much smaller, but upon closing CBOClean, the list is fully populated again, without any input on my part.

This behavior is on a 98SE system, and although I have never used this program before, I know there have been some problems with older versions of BOClean on some Windows 98 systems due to the operating systems shortcomings.

Would like to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this or did I just get lucky?

Best wishes,
    VV

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

3. Vietnam Vet

Hello innerpeace,

Using version 4.24. I went to the Comodo forums right after posting earlier and read through some of their posts. Win98 problems seemed to be more numerous than I thought, but didn't see anything like I have (quick look, maybe I missed something). Will look around some more.
    The program wasn't causing anything noticeable on my system, except for the aforementioned restricted zone, and if a couple of the entries hadn't been put there by SpywareBlaster, I might not have even realized that was going on. It doesn't seem logical that CBOClean was actually removing entries from the zone, as they are all there after closing the app.

Thanks for the reply,
    VV

4. innerpeace

Sorry for the dbl post. BOClean has an option to clean the zones if malware is found. You could try unchecking the box mentioned in the quote below and see if that helps. http://www.comodo.com/boclean/supboc.html#bocconfig

5. Vietnam Vet

Hi,
    Yes, I had already read through the config options. etc., etc... The problem is the box was unchecked because I did not want the program to remove the entries and there was no malware found anyway. Unless I am misinterpreting the way this app works, there should not have been any changes to the zones under those circumstances.
    I also read some more threads over at the Comodo forums, including one in which you participated, which cover what happens when the box is checked. But that is not the case here. No checkmark, no CBOClean involvement in those zone entries, at least in theory.

Thanks again,
    VV

6. innerpeace

Hi,

I was just guessing about the setting. Your right, in theory, unless malware is found, the program shouldn't clean anything. I didn't mean to imply that malware was found. One more guess and I'll disappear. It could be that BOCleans signatures picked up the entries and is causing the problems (again, this is a guess) I'll step aside and hopefully someone else can help. Best of luck.

Take care, ip

7. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i don't think BOC has anything to do with items in your "restricted sites" zone.. maybe i am wrong, but..

there are problems with adding sites to the "restricted sites" zone with IESPYAD, "zonedout",and with "spywareblaster", and maybe with "spybot", too, where items that are in a "abc.xyz.com" format, as opposed to a "xyz.com" format, will not have the star in front of them and so they are not properly "restricted".. (to have the sight "restricted", it should be like

" *.abc.xyz.com "

if BOC did do anything with the "restricted sites" zone, i think it would be removing all of the items there, not just a couple of them..

as for "spywareblaster", i never notice that any of the "restricted sites" there are unchecked after BOC runs its cleaning process..

the items in spywareblaster can start to appear as being unchecked if you modify some of the entries from within IE's "configuration"..

8. Vietnam Vet

Hey, no reason to apologize, innerpeace, I didn't take anything you said to imply anything! I appreciate your input.

Concerning the signatures, this problem occurs right out of the box, so to speak, with or without updating the app and if they were at fault, I expect there would be more people asking questions by now.

Anyway, thanks again.
    VV

9. redwolfe_98

vietvet, i misunderstood what you were saying.. i didn't understand that you were talking about spywareblaster until at the end of my post.. i should have just started over with my post..

i thought you were talking about how some items in IE's restricted sites zone don't appear to have the star in front of them, as they should.. if you modify those entries, at least in some cases it will cause some items in spywareblaster to become unckecked..

one time i spent some time going through all of the items in the restricted sites zone, modifying them, and, afterwards, i think i had about 35 items in spywareblaster that became unchecked..

several of the items that spywareblaster adds to the restricted sites zone are not properly added to it where they will not have the star in front of them, like " *.abc.xyz.com "

10. Vietnam Vet

Hello redwolfe_98,

If it has nothing to do with it, why does it only happen when the program is running?

Would seem logical to me as well, but the fact remains, it is happening and over 17,000 entries is just a little bit more than a couple.

I'm glad it is not happening to you, but the fact is, I can reproduce this phenomenon at will. It is random, but nevertheless, happening. I can refresh Zoned Out until I am blue in the face and the numbers will be different every time with BOClean running. Stop it from running and the number will always be 25,208 entries.

Not quite sure what you are saying here, but the only change made to anything was to install Comodo BOClean. Have never had a problem with items becoming unchecked before or since. Only when BOClean is running.

While I will agree there is a problem with Spybot's immunization on a 98SE system, I will let you explain to javacool or Eric Howes as to what they can do to change the error of their ways.

Whether "Comodo's app" is causing the problem or is the catalyst for some heretofore unseen goblin that has been languishing away on this system just waiting for me to try the program...the point is, I am just trying to find out what the problem might be and correct it if possible. Any help towards that end would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    VV

11. Vietnam Vet

redwolfe_98,

Sorry, you posted while I was composing my own post. Hope you now understand what I am saying.

VV

12. redwolfe_98

vietvet, to fix the "problem", in BOC's "configuration", try unticking the "reset security zones" option..

13. innerpeace

Your welcome VV. I just didn't want you to think that I was saying you had malware. I knew that you didn't, but I was thinking that BOClean may had inadvertently cleaned some of your entries. I was mainly guessing from my limited knowledge of BOClean. I'm out of ideas, but I'm sure someone else has more. Redwolfe makes a good point about different 'immunization' programs clashing with each other, but if only certain entries become unchecked when you turn on BOClean then that seems suspect. I've read that when I enable protection for my Spybot S&D immunization that I should check any other programs that does the same thing, ie: Spyware Blaster to make sure that protection was still on for them. I don't think that its your problem though, it seems to be a BOClean problem. I do hope you find a fix :).

Cheers, ip

14. innerpeace

See posts #4 and #5. It is already unchecked. That's what I first thought of.

15. Vietnam Vet

I think that any problems that would occur for you would come if you were to remove the protection, not when you install it. There is overlap between the different programs, in other words, they will have many of the same entries in their respective databases. For example, when you remove, say, Spybot's immunization, you will be removing some of the protection placed there by SpywareBlaster.

Back to my situation, I re-installed and spent some time playing around with the BOClean app, including checking and unchecking that infamous little box for the security zone reset. Reacts the same, either way.

Looking in the registry, the entries definitely are missing, just as Zoned Out indicates. Where they "go", I do not know, because they are always back whenever I turn off BOClean. Indeed, checking the registry many items will be MIA, close regedit, reopen and some of the missing entries are back. That makes absolutely no sense to me. As said before, totally random.

Went back and removed IE-SpyAd's protection as well as SpywareBlasters and ran Deldomains.inf to make sure nothing was left. Reinstalled the protection from both programs and tried BOClean again. Went from 25,000 entries to 6,000 entries. This doesn't feel like fun anymore, believe I will give it a rest.

16. redwolfe_98

vietvet, you could try uninstalling BOC and then reinstalling it, making sure that there are not remnants of BOC 4.22, 4.23, or 4.24 left on your computer before reinstaling it..

i am not seeing the same problem that you are where BOC causes the number of restricted sites in "zonedout" to be reduced or for items in spywareblaster to appear as being unchecked..

17. Vietnam Vet

redwolfe_98,

I have installed this thing multiple times, same results everytime. As stated in my first post, never used product before, so no remnants issues. Computer(Gateway) came with GoBack installed and each time it was used to go back in time, so no uninstallation leftovers to deal with either.

I am not suprised that you do not have the same issues I have with the program. There is no doubt in my mind about the quality of BOClean, it just isn't playing nice with my system and that is not necessarily it's fault. I am going to install the program on someones computer in the near future and I wouldn't do that, if I thought it wasn't a good program.

I appreciate your efforts to help and welcome any further input if you come across something in the future, but from a personal standpoint, I am not going to lose any sleep over this issue.

Thanks,
    VV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.