comodo av database update causing problems

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by scott1256ca, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

2. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Wow! Just like the old days with the dual-scannered Comodo 2.0 Beta which, well... it just locked up your PC. :argh:

May I just say with simultaneous respect and contempt for both vendors, I don't believe you are now "testing" MSE to the same extent as you ever were with Comodo. :D

3. sded

sded Registered Member

You convinced me to at least take a look at the issue, although I have never used Comodo AV, just the firewall/D+ long ago. And http://forums.comodo.com/feedbackco...ith_the_latest_virus_db_updates-t46150.0.html seems to show a large number of outraged users, especially in the commercial sector, who have had their systems and businesses severely impacted and wonder why Comodo has not announced anything to the world or made any statements in response to all of the damage that has apparently been done. Wilders should certainly have been one of the places for an announcement, just like for a new version, but nada.
    For other free AVs, MSE is a pretty good solution based on my experience, but I think the new Avast! 5 Free AV will be an excellent solution, based on trying out the beta for a bit. Still a few bugs, but very usable. They are very responsive and there when you need them. Problems are expected; denial and avoidance are not. Though now that Melih has apparently dealt with the lowest level subordinate, perhaps all is well-even without policy changes or announcements to the impacted.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  4. It was a human error guys...

That person did not test a signature properly that he released, And caused this extremely frustrating issue. He has been deal with accordingly.

5. SammyJack

SammyJack Registered Member

Oh my!! that sounds sinister,"He has been deal with accordingly"!!

He didn't have to change his name,like Toggie,did he?

6. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

Even if someone did not test out a sig. properly, it still seems to me the AV component should not wind up locking up my PC.

Also, my decision to stop using Comodo AV came after:

My PC locked up and was all but useless for an hour (as I tried to figure out what was going on and get SOME response). When I say useless, I mean for example, CTRL-ALT-DEL would bring up the screen to launch task manager, but 5 min. later task manager still would not be launched and I would be unable to get the start menu to open quickly or even shutdown or logoff.

Finally removed CIS and re-installed (still not knowing that it was a signature problem).

Went to report the problem on Comodo forums and found the thread posted above.

Removed CIS again, when I saw that my CPU usage was still over 95% and the PC sluggish, but usable (and wanted to wait for a fix).

Saw a proposed fix, so TRIED to reinstall CIS again. At the end of this reinstall, it asks to reboot the PC, so I did. THEN:

1. Saw an error about a component not starting after the reboot.
    2. I couldn't connect to the internet, although I was getting an IP address from DNS.
    3. I stopped what I could of Comodo processes.
    4. Saw the install of CIS was not complete
    5. Tried to reinstall (or remove, same utility) using CIS installer. It said it was already installed but would then just die with no warnings or errors.
    6. Tried to uninstall with Windows normal admin tool
    7. Tried to remove files from the Comodo dir. Eventually removed or moved them all
    8. CIS install still told me it was installed and refused to run.
    9. Still couldn't connect to the internet.
    10. Gave up and ran a restore.
    11. Goodbye Comodo AV.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  7. SammyJack

scott1256ca said:

"comodo av database update causing problems
    Even if someone did not test out a sig. properly, it still seems to me the AV component should not wind up locking up my PC."

No,but it is much easier to place the blame on some poor,unnamed,bottom of the barrel Shmuck,than it is to admit that designing an AV is not as simple as
    cobbling together a HIPs+Firewall,and that Comodo software is in constant BETA..

This is hardly a surprise to Comodo watchers.
    Par for the course.

BUT IT IS FREE!!! YEEEE-HAWWWW!

8. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

Yes! 'Free' from the responsibilty of a commercial contractual relationship.

9. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Free but what is free about it? If you having issues remove it and use something else. AV module useless. I wonder how good the CIS Pro is in comparison?

10. SammyJack

Melih say good.Melih say real good.Trust Melih!!

24 hour "tech" support!!
    Just like your ISP!!! We all know how great that is!!

11. smage

smage Registered Member

So many people hate Comodo, they all pretend not to use the AV component, yet these same people have been affected when this problem started. Strange!

Glad I was using KIS 2010 at that time.

12. Vladimyr

Perhaps the gushing, rose-coloured glasses viewed enthusiasm of some just makes the indifference of others seem like hate.

13. SammyJack

smage:
    Is it your opinion that the only people who comment on an issue on
    this, or any other open forum, are those directly effected by it?

If this were the case,you as a KIS 2010 user would be disqualified
    from speaking.

A check of signatures will show that it is quiet common to comment on
    on software's the poster does not himself/herself have installed.

14. smage

smage Registered Member

Hi sorry but I do not understand your post.

The point which I am making is that although many users here claim that the AV is poor and weak and that they'll never use it, I am quite surprised to see that so many other users elsewhere are still using CIS and have been affected. Some are even using it in commercial environments!
    And the fact that I am using KIS currently is totally irrelevant. I am not attached to any product or company, so I change products when I am not happy with them. I also watch with an open mind to see which products are performing well before I shop around. And of course, any free product which can eventually improve itself to suit my needs will be welcomed. MSE is a good example of it.

I must have wrongly expressed myself in my previous post.

Back on topic, hope that Comodo will improve its control processes to prevent such problems to recur as this is very annoying and cause a lot of difficulties to users.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  15. smage

smage Registered Member

No I do not consider CIS to be perfect, otherwise I will have been using it.
    These threads relating to Comodo always end up in a flame, so it is difficult not to notice what people think about Comodo.

16. SammyJack

17. JamesFrance

JamesFrance Guest

So why do we always have to end up with offensive personal insults?

I don't post much here, because I find some of the aggravation unpleasant and unnecessary.

SammyJack I see you use a program called HitmanPro which I am unfamiliar with, but it sounds appropriate.

To get back to the issue, I am just a 71 year old pensioner who has followed the development of Comodo as a retirement hobby. I know nothing at all about the technical side of computers, but when I had this problem it took less than an hour to get back to normal. I am using a laptop on a boat, so could not look for answers in their forum as no other connection was available available. It just needed a bit of thought.

I am now reading about computer technicians taking 12 hours to sort themselves out and going on as if the sky had fallen in.

Of course this should not have happened, but humans are fallible. You can be sure that this corrupted database will never happen again.

18. smage

smage Registered Member

@ Vladimyr, this is what I call hate.

19. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I guess I'll end up dying before I can understand why all this harshness towards Comodo :cautious:

20. I'm sure you have relevant evidence/facts to back these claims of yours up?

21. Vladimyr

Yes, it's certainly more serious than indifference.

22. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Folks,

Let keep the discussion centered on technical items and products, not member or other personalities. There will be still oodles to discuss and the discussion will be much more productive.

Blue

23. webweweave

webweweave Registered Member

Blue, thanks for the voice of reason. Here's my FWIW:

Sadly, I'm now testing giving up CIS as not-quite-ready-for-prime-time since problems started in earnest about 3 days ago. rundll, nvcpl, shell32 etc etc would not run...system was dragging, grinding to a halt (not a full lockup but might as well have been for all the use I was getting).

I've now uninstalled Comodo Internet Security (free) and Vista 32 works once again...well behaved, etc.

I now realized my CIS problems started quite awhile ago...I was running v3.5 and happily watching it update itself regularly (many times per day). Man, what a great app keeping itself all updated and such! NOT! I MANUALLY installed 3.12 recently and that's when my system problems started. So, I'm torn. Keep an old version that may or may not be compromised or run a new version and watch my system fall to its knees/face?

I so loved CIS :doubt: :doubt:
    Regards

24. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

A number of off-topic posts removed and a few others caught in the undertow since they didn't really make sense standing alone anymore.

Naturally, a number of you just couldn't help yourselves despite my prior request...., time to either grow up or find another locale to frequent.

That said, thread closed.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.