Comodo Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheIgster, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

So who here uses the antivirus engine in Comodo for their AV protection? I know a lot of folks use the firewall and D+, but the AV engine in Comodo has gotten a bad rap from what I can tell. I've seen lots of tests out there and it seems to be performing very well in v4.1 of CIS.

Just curious to hear other experiences with it. I was considering loading that along with the Firewall and D+ that I'm running, so opinions would be appreciated.

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I have tested CIS 4.1 four times, and CAV(no D+, sandbox, etc.) once. In all test, the AV catches just as many of the threats as the other old school AVs do. Stuff can get past it, and thats why I would recommend a second line of defense, but the AV by itself keeps surprising me. IMO it is on par with other free AVs.

In a test today it caught some 0 day stuff that got past some big name, well regarded programs. :thumb:

3. TheIgster

Thanks for the response clocks. I've seen a lot of YouTube tests with zero day malware links and it looks like the AV has gotten A LOT better than it used to be. I always run MBAM in real time as well, so the two most likely would do just fine. Just not even sure I need NOD32 anymore and would like to try the AV along with the rest of the suite to see how it does.

4. mhl6493

mhl6493 Registered Member

I would be curious about this as well. I've been running NIS 2010, and I've really been pleased with it. But if I can get a free security suite that does just as well, I'd love to save a few bucks every year.

5. clocks

clocks Registered Member

When testing CIS 4.1 against 0 day stuff, I would estimate the the AV portion alone caught 70-85% of the threats. It is not that often that they get passed it, on to the sandbox.

I have been pleasantly surprised, because in the past I have read it is bad, but I have found the opposite.

6. TheIgster

Hmmm...the tests I've seen lately have been better than that. In fact, a couple of them had the AV in CIS catch 100% of the threats.

I think I'm going to install the AV portion this weekend, either uninstall or disable NOD and see what I can do with about 20 - 30 zero day malware links. Might be interesting.

From what I can tell though, CIS so far, is a very solid suite...especially for free.

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

100% against zero day is doubtful. 100% for CIS is possible, but a tough task for a standard signature/heuristics AV.

CIS is one of three programs I have not been able to infect yet. If you can withstand the popups on known programs, it is fantastic.

8. gery

gery Registered Member

no pop ups here for a long time since it learned my system.
    this suite is getting better in many terms :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

9. TheIgster

I've had Nod and Avast do 100% against zero day malware in testing. Now mind you, that would only be between 15 - 30 links, so small sample size, but still, I have seen it.

And as for pop ups, I personally don't mind them. I like to know what is happening on my system at all times, so I consider pop ups a good thing. Keeps me informed...:D

10. TheIgster

Why does your signature say Kaspersky then and you have a Kaspersky logo as an avatar...lol.

11. gery

gery Registered Member

i hate changing a lot my sigs

12. TheIgster

Ah, gotcha...

13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

If a program catches everything, I retest it again a few days later until it fails. I have only found two that have yet to fail, CIS being one of them.

There is an AV that was perfect a few days ago. I tried it again today and it failed bad. I have lost faith in old school AV programs, and now prefer something like CIS, or Norton which has a heavy mix of behavior blocking, cloud scanning, in addition to signature, etc..

14. TheIgster

Yep, you are right there. An AV can do really well one time and then fail big time the next attempt. Avast Free did very well for a long time in my tests and then failed. Not poorly, but it did miss a few things. Nod32 has done poorly and then very well the next time. It's really hit and miss.

I do like the combination of firewall, HIPS and sandbox in CIS. Along with AV, it might be close to a perfect suite. And free, which is amazing.

Now I'm waiting for those that don't like Comodo to speak up...I'm sure they are on their way here...:)

15. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Start the count down. haha

16. guest

guest Guest

Comodo AV is not one of the best ones but with the security provided by the sandbox and D+ the AV goes to a second level, many people uses Comodo IS + sandboxie or other apps without any AV.
    If you want to use an AV I would recomend you avast or panda cloud.

17. TheIgster

Well, I'm already using Nod32 which I believe is better than Avast and especially better than Panda Cloud.

I would like to hear from those that use the AV in CIS though and their experience with it to date.

18. clocks

clocks Registered Member

With CIS, I would save the resources and just use their own AV. I don't think adding another on will make any difference.

19. guest

guest Guest

I used it and I never had any problem, It never detected anything because never had the oportinity and it never gave me a problem with the FP's

20. TheIgster

Good to know...thanks for the post!

21. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

They all switched to Comodo Internet Security Complete :p :D

@TheIgster , you may want to install CIS4 Complete, you can get free license here : Link

You'll receive license in minutes.
    I must say that I'm very happy with their Online Backup and TrustConnect (works awesome) that comes with that package.

22. TheIgster

Thanks for the link. I've seen the differences between editions and I really don't need the support or online backup, so I'm OK with the CIS Premium. Thanks though!

23. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I don't need it either. It is supposed to be for people that can't afford it and need the support, but I suspect it is being abused and everyone is asking for it.

24. TheIgster

Does anyone know if there is a setting to get the scan window to not always be on top of every window? You can minimize it, but it just goes down to the left hand corner of the window above the Windows task bar. There has to be a way to make it not on top of all windows.

25. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Not aware of one, and it is an annoyance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.