COMODO Antivirus 6.3

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by escalibur, Dec 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

I dunno, maybe we should start talking about the product itself (and not comodo forums, or comodo bashers/fanboys or ....) before this thread gets locked:rolleyes:

Are there any news of a new beta or some such?

2. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

It will be locked:isay:

There's no escape the equation,
    Comodo thread=locked

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Good idea. Let's do that.

4. escalibur

escalibur Registered Member

Finally! Thanks mate.

Which settings you find to be the most effective? I've noticed that for some reason HIPS on Safe Mode is preventing Heaven Benchmark to run which has nothing to do with malware. :rolleyes:

5. Houley456

Houley456 Registered Member

wwwwwwait

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

50% of security program quality is:
    a) responsiveness to issues/problems/bugs
    b) responsiveness to user support requests
    c) lack of die hard fanboys

What good is generally decent program if the support is useless, problems never get resolved or it takes ridiculously long and even staff doesn't know when it will get fixed or they think they fixed it yet users report otherwise. Or that every single bloody time you ask anything on their forum which is btw the only mean of contacting company, that you get a flood of stupid defensive fanboys who just can't possibly admit that their beloved program is broken. Say whatever you want, i still stand by this statement, because i know i'm right and you know it as well.

For example, avast! from my observation only has problems with the b) and even that mostly through e-mail. The rest is fine and even fanboys aren't that annoying. But with Comodo, oh dear... The program is sort of good, has interesting ways to combat malware, but fails miserably on all 3 points from my experience and experience from most others.

With security software that's a very important factor for which users have to be prepared if they decide to use that program. Unless you like being in a Rage Mode when problems do happen (and they sooner or later always do for any software).

7. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

I do not disagree with you, too much of blind faith is never good. However and unfortunately, rehashing the same topic for too long (which again is valid) will not resolve anything and draw the same ****storm from "fans".

I think we can agree to summarize that support isn't responsive and timely, and their forums are lacking as a constructive environment. Those points have been made in the topic, I don't see any further need to emphasize on those problems. Why? Because it will derail the topic (and somewhat already have) and will probably result in a lock, which will prevent any constructive/informative discussion which may take place /is taking place.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Btw I use these settings;
    AV- Stateful,low heuristics, pups enabled
    HIPS-Sandbox disabled,clean PC mode HIPS
    Firewall-Safe mode with a few tweaks

8. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Choose Clean PC Mode, that way it will trust whatever
    is already installed in your machine. Of course I assume
    that your PC is clean.

Apart from disabling Sandbox and enabling Defense+
    The only other thing I did was to check Set popup
    alerts to verbose mode
    (HIPS), it will give you a more
    detailed alert along with more options.

You can also run Comodo's Leak Test to familiarize
    yourself with the explanations in the popups
    http://www.testmypcsecurity.com/securitytests/firewall_test_suite.html
    In Verbose Mode choose Block/Block Only
    so you can continue the test.
    If you choose Block and Terminate to an alert the app
    in question will be closed.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  9. siketa

siketa Registered Member

The topic is about antivirus, not the browser...
    ;)

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Agreed. Please stay on topic.

11. Emetic

Emetic Registered Member

I'm just thinking about moving over to version 6. I'm still on 5 at the moment. Seemed there was a few problems, but I guess it's all about as sorted out now as it's gonna be, till version 7.

For those that have tried both versions, how much heavier on resources would you say version 6 is compared to 5?

Also I understand that it all has to be set up again because the config files can not be exported/imported. Is that right? I spent a long time setting up version 5 and that is half the reason I haven't upgraded yet.

Could someone point me to some good resources for setting up version 6? I already know a few, but some geared specifically at the new version would be handy.

I run CIS at the moment with sandbox on, Defense+ in safe mode and firewall in safe mode. I usually have the AV off coz my music software will not start with it on (Presonus Studio One). I have lots of tweaks that I've gleaned from people here at the forum, but I guess I'm just going to have to go back and start again, as I can't remember now what half of them are supposed to do. It's worked fine and I've had no nasties. UAC has been more of an everyday pita than anything else.

I'm also looking to upgrade the rest of my system, especially EMET. I may even start a separate thread about it, because I want a system that can work with audio applications.

But as far as Comodo is concerned, it has done me proud. I'm fairly sensible anyway. If I want to walk on the wild side I'll use one of my virtual machines in virtual box on linux mint (debian edition).

As for the Comodo forum, I'm a member but don't get involved. The way they treat people who take the time to question things is often quite rude. But hey, that's all been said. I'm seriously up for a bit of learning here and would love to pick your brains if I may.

Anyone got some good advice for me for upgrading from 5 to 6? It's now or never.

:)

12. spywar

spywar Registered Member

What do you mean ? Is it detected by AV component ?

13. Emetic

Emetic Registered Member

I mean that when I start Studio One and the Comodo AV is set to on, be it stateful or on access, that Studio one hangs at the initial start up where it loads different components for the program to run. Studio One is unusual in this respect as it gives you a visual real time list of components being added as it starts up. It hangs pretty early on in this process, but if you turn disable Comodo AV it just carries on its merry way and starts no problem. Even if you do this as the program is trying to run. No restart needed.

But, no, it is not detected by the AV as malicious. There is no blocking going on from the AV side, I don't think. It seems to be a prerequisite of running this program. They advise to run it with all AV off. Not uncommon with Audio Software.

Btw, and slightly off topic, and I think I will start a new thread on this, if only to test the water, but most Audio Software _expects_ you to be running as Admin. An awful lot of the installers from the major manufacturers do this. And so, when you install your expensive new software, it has added all your presets to your Admin folder and you can't find them from your user account. I will explain this in another thread. There are some very very long and involved threads on this subject on some of the biggest music/audio/producer forums. They go into great detail and great debate. I will link to them later.

For now, I just turn off the AV on Comodo and everything works perfectly. It does not flag anything from the program as malicious, if that was your question.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  14. Emetic

Emetic Registered Member

Btw, Comodo AV seems to be the only program that will physically stop Studio One from running. And this does not happen with any of my other half a dozen or so DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations), or AV/AM in combination.

It actually took me a while to figure out. And you can forget customer support. It just does not exist. This is also very common amongst the developers of certain Audio Software. In fact, the more you pay and the bigger the company, the worse the support. That is why I try to support the little guys with my money. But some things are standard and essential to professional production.

iZotope Ozone for example. One of the biggest companies in the game, with no idea of people using anything other than an Admin account. They just do not take it into consideration and treat you as a paranoid time waster.

Then again. They can do this, because I don't know if you realise, but the vast majority of people running Windows OS are running on full Admin. Certainly in the Audio domain. They have too much on their plate (the audio devs) with making x64 and Mac support available. There is no way they can realistically provide testing or support for 'malcontents' that do not run on full admin privileges.

I'm going off thread now. But this is a massive can of worms which I aim to write a long post/essay on and post here at Wilders. I don't post much, but I read a lot. I want to give something back. But more, I want your expertise on the matter.

Ok, enough off thread. I've decided I will write that up and do a post on it here at some point.

For now..

I had a look around the Comodo forum and views seem to be split pretty much 50/50 about whether to run version 5 or 6. I think I will leave things at 5 for now. I have so many layers of security anyway. And CIS is very light and stable on my system at the moment.

I really do not want to mess with this if I have to. This laptop is pretty much end of life now, anyway. The HD is pretty much full (I have to leave a lot of space for Audio files which are massive). I have put in a new WD Black 750GB and 8GB of RAM, but the CPU is lacking and old. So that is that.

I'm going to be getting something new and want to keep this one in a good functional state, to occasionally work on and for legacy, exporting to new systems.

This is not my main DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). Btw, DAW can mean either the software DAW (Presonus Studio One), or hardware DAW (Computer), just to provide those of you who don't know, with a bit of the terminology and jargon.

It is a machine I have used to experiment on the last 2 years. Running Audio Software _and_ being connected to the net. A no no usually. None of my other DAWs have internet access.

It has been a very interesting experiment, but very frustrating none the less. But again, I will cover that in another post.

So..

Unless someone can give me a good reason to upgrade my CIS to version 6, I think I will stick with 5. There doesn't seem to be any major security issues by doing this. Unless there's something I don't know.

Your thoughts are more than welcome.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.