Comodo 3.0.16.295 is out.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Fuzzfas, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I am keen of testing it. Hopefully the switch to installation vulnerability is removed.

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I must say, i was surprised too about this and i still can't say if positively or not. I guess as long as it doesn't phone home automatically it will be ok for me. I will install the new version soon.

At least, now it makes more sense. They made a free product and decided to "step on it" to sell a paid service.

This is almost a political manifesto-declaration here by Melih Abdullahyoglu. A quite interesting one, that could shake the whole market, although a bit dramatic in tone.

http://www.melih.com/2008/02/04/eno...untability-for-the-desktop-security-industry/

I do think there is a change of policy. Originally, in the "why free?" question, part of the answer, was:

"And this will help us sell more Digital Certificates and other services we have as we will have a big brand!"

"Because we will provide them all of the security products they will need, for free, we are hoping that we will gain our user's trust so that we can be a big brand and this will help our other services that we sell to enterprises!"

http://forums.comodo.com/melihs_cor..._catch_how_does_comodo_make_money-t764.0.html

Well, apparently, now they decided that digital certificates and services to enterprises aren't enough, when you can sell services to the end home user too.

Anyway, as long as i can keep it updating manually, i guess it's good. But i kinda have mixed feelings about this. Not for anything else, but because i feel that now they reveal a part of their plans that weren't revealing some months ago.

On the other hand, it could have positive conseguences for the home user in general, if other software vendors, were forced to give for the price of their product a "cleaning insurance" too.

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Good to see D+ evolving

Please help me understand, the release notes

Defense+ has been modified such that it is not going to report any pending files if it is not in clean PC mode.

So it will report pending files when in clean PC mode? Should be logical because clean PC assumes a clean PC. When files are changed you can not trust them to be clean anymore.

So it is now n=more rewarding to leave comodo in training mode (or train in safe mode) and then put it into paranoid mode. Is this a correct conclusion?

Regards Kees

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

So basically it's not even working under Vista? Yey...:rolleyes:

5. jtcst

jtcst Registered Member

It appears to be a quick & easy money grab, IMO, like the product service plans offered by major electronic stores. Chances are, most people will never need (or bother) to claim their warranty plan. (especially with this new comodo warranty thing, because, after all, they've been hyping their new firewall as the second coming in PC security!)

As for the latest version, it is running smoothly for me.

6. Fuzzfas

During booting at Windows? I hope that it does NOT do that, when i have checked off all auto-update options and removed the Comodo's own rules in the Network security policy.

I don't like one bit the idea of something calling home while i still can't see the desktop.

7. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

How does the virus protection in Comodo work? Does it cause problems with already installed AV products?

I haven't installed Comodo on my box yet because I was waiting for the new release (all the Defense+ threads are overwhelming to say the least). Does the AV protection of Comodo also kick in when you opt for the 'firewall only' installation or is the AV protection part of Defense+?

Then again, what happens when one decides to activate Defense+ later on?

8. Fuzzfas

It's on demand only. No conflicts here with AVG Free. Since it's not resident, i don't think it will create problems with most AVs.

I don't know about the rest. I installed it with D+ and it was there.

The only observation is that i can't see a signature version number anywhere and i am not sure about how it updates signatures.

9. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Perhaps this has nothing to do with "your" specific issue virtumonde, however heres my two bits:

Most installation programs problems are simply related to memory and disk fragmentation...

Before installing a new program: Either reboot your computer or defragment the memory with some type of RAM recovery tools. AWC2 has a nice one greatly improved actually for free. Also It is always good policy to run a file cleanup scan and to delete all the junk, then to defrag your hard disk...

Only then should you be able to install applications in complete safety...

10. _ab

_ab Registered Member

question about anti leak feature

Hi,

i am using SSM for the HIPS part of my security system, so Defense+ is turned off. I read some posts here & wonder if the anti leak is active, when defense+ is off. If so, maybe i should activate Defense+ again, with the anti leak option only been checked. Does anyone know, which module would be needed to be activated in this case?. Is that possible? Or is the anti leak active anyway, even with defense+ turned off?

11. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I use diskeeper,and i have ram saver also,But i will ceratainly follow your advice from now and reboot before installing any important security.Winamp was running during the time,and i didn't look at cpu usage before starting .The ram was ok 700 available at that time,but i think i should had closed winamp,as it continuosly reads from the hdd.I'm still impressed with how light the pc is now,and finally my pending files are gone:)) D+in train with safe mode . Thanks

12. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Running it right now. Definitely an improvement over the initial release. Very low CPU usage. Still a bit on the noisey side. I set it up with medium protection and added keyboard monitoring.

13. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

_ab, It has been configured such that the protection is mostly targeted to the network related activities.

For example: Screenshot or keylogging protection(except windows hooks) are disabled. You should not see D+ alerts for the applications started when you double click and start them.

Protected Files and Protected COM Interfaces are modified accordingly.

But still D+ will be learning things. After some time, it should get silent. I downloaded selecting Basic firewall with leak protection myself. Leave the settings default and so far all is well. I have SSM paid also.

14. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

I installed 295 over top of the other version. It will not pass PCFlanks leaktest. Does it pass for you? I do not use D+.

15. Hermescomputers

I cant try too many layers for something like this on my system:

Attached Files:

16. Hermescomputers

Tested the Firewall with several of the "Basic" Online tests and so far 100 % protection!

I may try later with Nessus...

Attached Files:

17. Fuzzfas

It won't work like that. You need to make clean installation. If you install it on top, the antileak-protection won't work. It is explained in Comodo forum.

You must do fresh install, select "only firewall" and make sure you leave ticked the "antileak protection" box that will appear. Only then you will have the new feature.

Also, i think i have read that there is an installation bug, where you need to reboot twice instead of once, for all your rules to be remembered correctly.

18. BuzzStone

Thanks for the replies. I'll do a fresh install.

19. Gren

Gren Registered Member

Yep, Thanks for that Fuzzfas.

Am also using CFL with D+ deactivated as I'm using ThreatFire. The leak protection is certainly welcome so will look to do a clean install.

20. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

No need for TF if you use Comodo with D+ active.

21. BuzzStone

A clean install did the trick!

22. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

It's running well for me on XP home + Avira PE Premium & Comodo BOClean.
    Boot and shut down times are good. It's not noisy if you disable balloon messages!
    Early days yet, but no bugs here.

23. Gren

Gren Registered Member

True but I'd heard a few negative comments about D+ (mainly about how 'noisy' it was) and I like the fact that TF is quiet and light.

D+ could though be a more elegant solution as it's all part of 1 package. It's only the flick of a switch and a restart to activate it though so I'm just keeping an eye on opinions.

24. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Not noisey for me. Let it learn for the first week. Just like any other firewall. Once all apps are learned then no more pop ups.

25. Fuzzfas

Threatfire is quieter, no doubt. But Comodo, set to clean pc mode, isn't very anoying. Pending files is the most annoying part for me. The pop ups aren't many. The only setting that i disable in D+ is file protection, because even when i download a setup on the desktop it asks me if Opera should be allowed to create a new directory, which i find annoying and rest of security provided is plenty enough anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.