Comodo 3.0.15.277

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Dieselman, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

No reason to submit if you knew what they were. Just purge them and move them to your safe files.

2. Chappy7777

Chappy7777 Registered Member

I went to the URL you posted above and read the posts. It seems like there is a general "Comodo is useless against hackers" attitude. I am not a hacker due mostly to the fact that I have better things to do than bother other people. I read in PG Mag that Comodo is the best Software Firewall available. That's good enough for me. I have been using Comodo for 6 mos or more w/o a hardware firewall. I am broke and can't afford a Router at this point. Also, I have only had DSL for about 2 mos. I always assumed that most people won't bother dialups.

Anyhow, assuming Comodo is worth the download and setup, my question is: since I am using 3.0.13.268 Re:3.0.15.277, is it so much better than what I am using to make the un/reinstall worthwhile? I have this thing working pretty well after mos of trial and error and learning (I used Zone Alarm for years) and would really rather not change it. Unless the concensus amongst the folks here is "DO IT".

Oh, to the "nay sayers" of Comodo, I went to Steve Gibson's site, grc.org,
    and ran Shields Up. It came back with "no PC detected". All my ports were running in stealth mode.

Thoughts? Thanks folks,

Chappy

3. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

Have you ever heard of anyone who was using Comodo getting hacked? I haven't. :cool:

4. Dieselman

I just say the file there. Pay no attention to what people say there. Some guy told me that NOD32 is the worst virus scan ever. I was like yeah whatever. I always used Comodo 2.4 and when 30 came out I really didnt care for it but I am using it now.

5. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

and tiresome o_O

6. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

That's one of the reasons why I decided to install it again. Besides running smoother than any other security software I can remember. I feel that having it on board along with another well running app like AVG Pro, and for now BOClean, will finally keep me satisfied enough to get some rest. LOL.

7. Dieselman

Your missing his point. He meant the program is tiresome cause you always have to be checking it. It was a negative statement not positive.

8. blackdog56

blackdog56 Registered Member

I could be wrong, but Chappy, I believe mine updated itself via the software update function. If it hasn't done it automatically, I would try an update manually.

9. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

But my point is Comodo is so good that it will help me stop trying out so many different security softwares, and therefore have no pending files. Right now my Pending Files have been at 0 for two days running. CPF is runs smooth, is unobtrusive on my PC, and I personally like the interface. Being free helps for me too.

10. Dieselman

You will always have pending files. Give it a week. I had around 3 till I updated Steam and WOW then I had around 800 pending files. Thats uncalled for.

11. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

What's uncalled for is complaining about a firewall you don't even use anymore. I have used quite a few myself, and don't have anything bad to say about any of them. It's just that I finally found one that I like best and works well on my PC. Also three days have now passed and both AVG and BOClean have updated and no Pending Files.

12. Dieselman

Dude.......AVG is an anti virus and BOClean is anti malware or so. Try updating a game or something. Do you have Steam? Do you play WOW? Then you cannot compare. NOD32 updated and I never had any pending files. Comodo knows there is a problem with the pending file thing. I always had 1 pending file and that was from Firefox and Flashgot. There appeared there no matter how many times I added them to my safe files.

13. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I agree there is a problem when a firewall needs the attention Comodo can cause for some users, but I'm just not one of them, that's all. I am simply at this point personally happier with Comodo than I was with ZAAS, OA Free, or PC Tools FW. It has helped me if only for a short time so far, keep my current set up and be happy with it. I may eventually change or get rid of BOClean, but I will keep Comodo and AVG Pro for good. ( well until my license for AVG runs out. LOL.) I appreciate your opinions on some things, but remeber for most security products it is a personal preference that many times is the factor behind what people use. Take care, and just enjoy your choice of firewall.

14. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

right...installed on fresh drive
    all running smooth so far :), passing every test, i like it :thumb:

the firewall not initializing properly is still a mystery though?!
    and the pending files is a pain in da butt :p

great firewall overall

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  15. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, fred22

Thanks for your in-depth knowledge. I just wish I had such an extra.

You know, average joes/janes would not have heard that system shutdown simulator, let alone test it against Comodo firewall.

In general, Comodo firewall as is now, IMO , is a relatively reliable application, safe for general public to use daily, although may not be that perfect in experts' views.

I will continue to support it unless otherwise, somehow, someday.

Take care.

16. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

If you really want to see some pending files try installing an OS service pack, as always I try out major things in a VM ..... luckily, the latest Vista refresh for SP1 gave me just under 11,000 pending files o_O . What do you do cross your fingers and hope they were all legit files from MS or go through them one at a time just in case.

17. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Just a FYI. No report of anything like this happening in the Comodo Firewall Forum. As a matter of fact someone from there using CPF 3.0 ran the test today to check and it passed it with no troubles.

18. Dieselman

Totally agreed. Its like Comodo is relying on users to make up there white lists. No other firewall out there has this pending file thing. Not Online Armor, Not ZA, Not Outpost, Not Look-n-Stop, Not Webroot, Not KIS, Not Jetico. So whats that tell you. There are a million posts about the pending file thing in Comodo forums. They are suppose to be fixing it in thelatest release.

19. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Its called "Innovation". Trying to make a feature that seperatres you from basic firewalls. Some people like it and some people don't.

20. Dieselman

"Innovation" is D+. Pending files is annoying. No need to baby sit a firewall. Fuzz said that also.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I tried the latest here for a day or two and found the whole thing annoying, not just the pending files situation, but everything. It's a nice effort, but just too much for me. I like to keep it simple I guess.. Maybe I'll revisit Comodo down the road and see if it improves with time....

22. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Four days gone by. No new installs, and zero Pending Files. Comodo just sits there unobtrusive and running smooth, and with no PC or Internet slow downs. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? LOL. As an average user if I can get by with this FW, almost anyone can. Plus, it's safe to say it's only going to improve. I do understand that it may not be for everyone though.

23. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

If you want to keep it simple, why not copy what I have done?

I disable that mighty Defense+. Then, Everything is as smooth as a silk. Try it.

24. Dieselman

Ok here we go again. Why disable a programs main feature just to make it work. They should have put more thought into things. OA is doing alot of beta testing so they come out with a well polished program.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Will have a look sometime Perman, thanks... for now I'm just using the router with LUA and some software restriction policies, along with Avira on-demand. The firewall was optional for me (due to the router) and I was mostly trying to see if I could stand D+ or not. As it turns out, it was too much for me....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.