Commercial A-T Commensurate w/ TDS Glory Days?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by mallen1, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mallen1

mallen1 Registered Member

Does commercial or commercially affiliated* anti-trojan software exist that is commensurate w/ TDS (Trojan Defence Suite) back in its glory day?

The list seems to get shorter by the month. Which product shines in terms of:
    1) efficacy (sensitivity and specificity)
    2) daily updates every day
    3) ease of use (anyone remember "if it's red, kill it")
    4) customer service/corporate stability

*by commercially affiliated, I mean freeware produced by a software corporation that sells most of its products and is motivatied by its profit margin.

Thanks,
    -Mark

XP, Prevx1, Eset NOD32, Webroot Spy Sweeper, Windows Oneway Firewall, Ella Spam Filter

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You could try AVG AS?
    BTW, it is a bit difficult to compare the older days with now, as some things have changed a bit...
    Mrk

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I don't think you will find anything right now that has the versatility and tools of TDS-3.

4. mallen1

That I know, but help me out with second best.

5. mallen1

NoAdware
    asquared
    XoftSpyXE
    Trojan Hunter
    Ewido
    Spyware Doctor
    BOClean

Anything, something must work !!!

Please . . .

6. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

7. mallen1

EliteKiller,

Thanks for taking the time to write. I read the thread you provided and the product has dedicated and educated proponents.

THEN I FIND

"SAS Pro failed to detect any of the five commercial keyloggers I tried and in fact couldn't detect any of the four different keylogging techniques used by keyloggers. It also couldn't detect process injection, nor process memory space violation, (two common malware techniques) nor could it detect the installation of a trojan server." -CastleCops

"Perhaps most seriously, SAS Pro doesn't protect itself from termination by a hostile agent." -ibid CastleCops

"In testing, did poorly at blocking malware installation. No protection against commercial keyloggers" -PCMag

ON THE OTHER HAND

"SUPERAntiSpyware will remove ALL the Spyware, NOT just the easy ones. Easily remove pests such as WinFixer, SpyAxe, SpyFalcon, and thousands more!

SUPERAntiSpyware Professional features highly advanced Real-Time Protection to ensure protection from installation or re-installation of potential threats as you surf the Internet. Used in conjunction with our First Chance Prevention and Registry Protection, your computer is protected from thousands of threats that attempt to infect and infiltrate your system at startup or while shutting down your system." -Dozleng

"Additionally the Pro Version updates automatically each time before it scans so you don’t have to worry about checking for updates which are issued three or four per week. This certainly provides a feeling of safety when it comes to catching and getting rid of the bad guys.

An added feature is the “What’s Running On My Computer”, a link to their “File Research Center”. After loading an Active X file, it searched the computer and found some very interesting items and provided a LOG list. “Recognized SAFE Applications” found included AV, Printer, Explorer, Sound and Graphics files, including Superantispywre itself. UnSafe applications were ZERO but Start-Up showed over 20 programs loaded in memory including software “Registration” reminders. We love those because they are so important to be loaded in memoryo_O For each file they have a “More Info” button which gives the WHY, WHAT, SIZE, WHO etc. about the file." -BRCS

"SuperAntiSpyware Professional does a hell of a job. During our testing it successfully detected and eliminated most of the nasties you put it up against.

Real-time protection is also a great benefit when it comes to malware and SuperAntiSpyware Professional includes it in the list of options.

Scanning a single file for spyware is possible due to the integration in the Windows shell." -Softpedia

AND FINALLY

There's the usual litany of 1-star "it SUCKS" and 5-star "Killer ap, dude" reviews (transcribed in their entirety) from download sites. My problem is twofold. I'm a casual user and I do research that sometimes I cannot properly interpret.

Reading these product reviews is like listening to my wife talk about me to my face.

Again people, thank you very much for your time. Elite Killer and others, I have a favor: please give me more feedback on SAS!

Take Care,
    -Mark

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  8. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    SAS is a fair product, light, robust, effective.
    What more is there to say?
    Mrk

9. mallen1

Mrk,

Greetings and thank you for your time and your post. Does the collective mind think I'd be better off adding SAS or an equivalent anti-trojan application, or, moving from Windows Firewall to a more robust creation, e.g. agnitum's Outpost Firewall Pro (+/- Blockpost plug-in)?

It's odd. Despite super-safe hex, my daily sweeps are beginning to coming up with a handful of spy-cookies. This never happened up until three weeks ago. I don't know if I have a hole (no jokes), if someone's calling home, or what. Everything's pretty innocuous looking and swiftly quarantined, but still . . .

Thanks,
    -Mark

XP Pro, Prevx1, Eset NOD32, Webroot Spy Sweeper, Windows Oneway Firewall, Ella Spam Filter

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  10. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Cookies are nothing you should worry about, except aesthetically.

The single most valuable factor that you can introduce to your system is the alternative browser - namely Firefox, Opera, K-Meleon. Not only far far far far more secure than the crappy M$ product, they actually support international web standards. So you'd be doing everyone a favor.

Second, I don't know what collective mind thinks, but here at BORG, we do not like M$ security products.

Third, if you follow a few simple rules, you will need no scanner or anything for that matter - and if you do use them - your scans should be squeaky and boringly clean. In that regard, you can use SAS as a testimony to tradition. But if you are faced with hard infections and detections every day, then you should really reconsider your practices.

Regarding Windows firewall, it's ok - depending on what you need or want. You want outbound control? You need more than Windows firewall. As simple as that.

What firewall? Well, ZoneAlarm, Comodo, Kerio, Sygate, all fair candidates. Depends on how knowledgeable you are and how well you intend to use these products, bearing in mind that your choices will always be the most important line of defense.

On most of my Windows machines, I only run firewall or at most firewall and anti-virus. I heavily game online, do p2p, visit naughty sites etc., and have never ever had any concerns with so-called security. The single most important factor are non-MS products.

Use Firefox instead of IE.
    Use OpenOffice instead of MS Office.
    Use Notepad++ instead of Notepad/Wordpad.
    Use Thunderbird instead of Outlook.
    Use GAIM instead of Messenger.

These changes will contribute to 99.9999% of peace you need. Everything else is for show, save a firewall as a proper packet filter.

Have a solid backup solution and keep your personal data safely backed up on several locations.

Mrk

11. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:) Yes; Add: Good support, continual updates, good price.
    And; what else he said. :thumb:

Not a HIPS/IDS there are others for that.

For a recommendation from a very experienced malware tracker:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/member.php?u=29567

12. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

------------

Following a legal settlement with AOL, Gaim has been renamed Pidgin and its 2.0.0 release is now available...

http://www.pidgin.im/pidgin/news/latest_news/

Coooo!

13. mallen1

Longboard,

I'm totally with you on the multiple backup thing. But hey, I'm a commoner. I eat meat and use my shirt for a napkin. To dump everything MS is like deciding only to speak Albanian from this moment forward. It's suddenly pretty quiet 'round here.

I'm afraid I need a more practical solution for me. Or language courses. At any rate, I sincerely appreciate the time and thought you put into your response. It gives me something new to contemplate and that is always good.

Joliet Jake - don't know what to say except that I loved the movie.
    Elwood: We've thrown a rod.
    Jake: Is that serious?
    Elwood: Yup.

Take Care,
    -Mark

14. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Please read this post from Nick Skrepetos:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=986134&postcount=11

15. mallen1

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

IMO, you have SAS, AVG AS and A-Squared. Then there's Trojan Hunter, but i have no idea how it is. Hey, i'm going to check it out..
    Oh my! AOL...

17. mallen1

Pedro,

Not sure if you're talkin to me, but my prophylaxis is at the bottom of this post. No AOL in these parts.

Thanks,
    -Mark

XP, Prevx1, Eset NOD32, Webroot Spy Sweeper, Windows Oneway Firewall, Ella Spam Filter

18. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Surely you saw the "quote" above said comment..

19. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Dont give a damn about CastleCops and PCMAg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.