Comments, questions, suggestions

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 Beta Forum' started by Marcos, Nov 18, 2008.

1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Then go buy NAI or Symantec products since they seem to dislike anything that is modular. The ENTIRE reason they are separate is because they are modular. Making the "real-time" module scan HTTP is exactly the same as meshing the two modules together. You don't seem to understand that.

If you disabled the proxy then tough luck. You're not supposed to, you KNOW it will reduce your protection. You're just looking for something to complain about.

2. wrathchild

wrathchild Registered Member

Read again my previous post...in whole.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I did thanks. EAV has nothing to do with a firewall. Neither does the HTTP proxy. It IS implemented modular. You're complaining because the filtering is done via proxy, well that's changed in Vista, maybe not in XP, but you can't really complain about using an old OS, go complain on the MS forums.

I'm currently using v3, which uses a proxy, and it works perfectly fine for me. I look forward to the non-proxy change.

4. Phenom

Phenom Registered Member

Suggestions to be included in NOD32 v4.

- Improve antispyware, rogue threats and adware doesn't get detected well.

- In NOD32 v2 I remember it use to find threats on the web page before I even got there and when I was about to download it found threats, in the new versions now it doesn't do that quite effectively as nod32 v2.

Is this true? NOD32 uses heuritics to detect and do not use any signatures to detect threats, that is what I heard, if so I think signatures can be very helpful.

Other than that, I'm still confident that NOD32 will come back on top and soon to be better than Avira. :)

5. nb1001

nb1001 Registered Member

hey everyone! just got on board with this. I like nod and thought i'd try this out.

couple questions. How long do you think this beta will last? and i installed smart security...that means i don't have to install the antivirus right. the smart security includes antivirus?

6. nb1001

nb1001 Registered Member

nevermind just saw it, it says my license is only valid until march 17th...hmm.

7. Quitch

Quitch Registered Member

1. Annoyingly NOD32 v4 still doesn't understand Windows variables such as %windir% when adding exclusions.

2. Also, for years now Microsoft has published a list of areas/files that should not be scanned by AV as they are permanently in use or where a file lock can cause serious issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

This entire article should be a checkbox on the Exclusions screen "Add Microsoft recommended Windows exclusions".

3. There should be a way to turn on Unsafe Application Detection for every scanner with a single button. It's off by default yet for most users having it on is the desirable option, but doing so is a real hassle. My personal recommendation would be switching it on with Undesirable Application Detection during setup.

4. Documentation for "Real time system protection - Setup - Other" is out of date, the screen shot does not have the Enable Smart Optimization button and no text explanation for it.

5. Application uses a Notification Area icon. With Windows 7 around the corner this would have seemed like a good time to review that policy with MSN Messenger being an example of how it should be done on this new OS.

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Why %windir%? Such a variable doesn't resolve on recent Windows systems unless it's defined by the user. %systemroot% works perfectly for me.

9. Quitch

Quitch Registered Member

I'm running Windows 7 and this variable works now (I've not added it) and has in every OS install I've run since at least Windows 2000.

The program should be able to handle any of these variables.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.