command line length?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by alglove, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Hi, all. I just ran an NOD32 scan through the scheduler using the following command line switches:

When I ran the scan, I noticed that some deleted items were not moved to quarantine. "That's odd," I thought, so I changed the switches to this:

When I did this, I got an "Invalid switch /cl" error. It seems that there is some sort of limit as to the length of the command line. Is this documented anywhere? It would have been nice to know about this, as I could have deployed this across the office, only to find out later than nothing was being copied to quarantine.

For whatever it's worth, I am using this as my command line now. It seems to do what I want:

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi aglove,
    How many characters did you count including quotes and the full path to your NOD32 executable?

3. alglove

Whato_O You mean I have to count?! What is this, Sesame Street? :eek: :p

Heh, heh. Just kidding. Let's see... I am running through the NOD32 task scheduler to run an external application....

My path is C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32.exe ... 31 characters, plus 1 more character if you count a space after it, not sure if I should add 2 more spaces for quotes that the scheduler may add itself

The quoted command line paramaters above are 243, 243, and 228 characters, respectively.

Since the Scheduler/Planner remembers the strings I have typed in, I am guessing that the problem comes when the task is actually submitted for processing, not when the task is stored in the registry.

4. NOD32 user

:)
    A couple of things come to mind thinking about this - I'm sure that some settings can be taken to be defaults without needing mention.
    As blackspear explains -->here<-- just add '/local ' or 'c:\ 'to the begining of this....
    Also it is now possible to schedule a scan using one of the previously defined profiles using the task scheduler....just make sure you locate and check the 'run this profile in cleaning mode' box for automatic cleaning as defined for the profile you choose :)

5. NOD32 user

Do you know if this has been an issue for you only using the scheduler or also using the Start-->Run dialogue?

6. alglove

It looks like it happens only from the Scheduler. I just opened up a Command Prompt and typed in the full 2nd example. It seems to run just fine.

7. NOD32 user

Sure seems that way :)
    So have you got it all sorted then?

8. alglove

Well, yes and no. I now know what to avoid when using enter the command line parameters for the Scheduler/Planner. I can get around the problem for now.

However, this could very well be a problem for others, who do not realize this. They could get some sort of error message, or worse, have the scan take place with some of the parameters at the end chopped off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.