command av, never again!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bigc73542, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I really feel bad about recomending command antivirus after talking to their telephone support today. I have only had my licenses for command about five months. well to make a long story short I uninstalled command and then attempted to reinstall it and there is no way it will reinstall again. To be able to talk to their support was going to cost $35.00 for a fifteen minute session with a tech person. I told them that was a lousy way to run a business and that charging $35.00 for support for a $24.00 product was really stupid. So I lost my cool and told them where they could put their antivirus and then I broke the cd with my copy of command av and so help me It did make me feel better. But I will never recommend them again I don't care how good their av is.

bigc

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Wow, lol, I'm sorry to hear that.. but hopefully you brought it up to a supervisor/manager who can actually take the issue up to a higher level. You should demand a refund!

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

May I recommend F-Prot as an on demand scanner. Pretty close to the same engine and it doesn't misbehave with MOST other antivirus programs as long as it is on demand.

These guys sell F-Prot and actually answer email.

http://www.raeantivirus.com/

4. bigc73542

I have used f-prot for a year a while back and I liked it but I am running mcafee 7.03.6000 and nod32 2.12.3 now and am very happy with both of them. ;)

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Why feel bad? It was a good recommendation at all the times you made it. Things change.

I am so sorry to hear that those folks treated you that way, bigc. Additionally, I am sorry that one of the better antivirus programs has taken the low road in such a Sy***tec-like manner. :doubt:

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your experience, bigc but this reinforces my view that Command/Authentium view their AntiVirus more as a Corporate and not a Home Antivirus. Just look at the updated website!

Authentium UK still has the AV priced at $44 but told me that if I bought on the USA at $19.95, I would receive no support at either site at this reduced price; https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=46277

They need to make clear on their USA website that there is no free support with the Special Offer price, particularly for newbies. People will obviously be attracted by this reduced price and will assume that support is included in the cost of the program.The Company should at least give an alternative option which includes support.

$35 for a fifteen-minute support slot seems excessive, particularly as you say when compared to the initial purchase price.

PS Hide the McAfee CD!

7. bigc73542

I had the full price version and there still isn't any free support by phone. I believe that there is free support online. still no good

8. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Thanks for the heads up. They will have lost at least a second customer. I will not renew!!
    :mad: No need to feel bad. No body is all knowing. Creatures here use products give advise based on their knowledge and experiences. The loss would be if no one shared the knowledge. Sorry for your bad experience. The loss is... what's that company's name again that begins with an "A" Anyway the people that sell Command AV.

9. bigc73542

authentium

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Got it BigC. I think it is the first time I have ever even pronounced the name. I tell you if my eyes don't stop getting so bad. I will have to buy a plasma big screen or request all my friends here post that size. :D :D :D

11. bigc73542

sometimes the print seems to run together after a few hours without a break. ;)

12. karll

karll Guest

BigC, I love Mcafee 7.03.

1. Where did you purchase it from?
    2. How is the memory usage on it?
    3. How long is Mcafee still going to support that version?

Sorry to be a nuisance but if I can get Mcafee 7.03 and keep F-prot as my on demand I'll be a happy man.

13. bigc73542

you can get mcafee 7.03 here here the memory usage is not bad at all have used it on a 500mhz comp with no problems and it will be supported for a couple of years yet since it still uses the latest engines and defs.

Attached Files:

14. karll

karll Guest

How is it on memory? I got a 1.1ghz, celeron, 256mb computer.

I run f-prot, prexv, zonealarm free and spyware guard and boclean.

You think Mcafee 7.03 will fit in there nicely if I move F-prot to backup? Should I also scrap boclean and run 7.03 alone?

But can you do me a favor and show me the little icon, I miss it?

15. bigc73542

here it is, I would still run boClean. And your comp should have no problems with 7.03 I have never had it slow a computer down.

Attached Files:

16. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I am sorry to hear that BigC..... As i thought F Prot was always better supported than Command......

Something that i don't understand. The reason i thought you use Command AV was because of its low memory usage. ( It uses the same engine as F Prot so i can tell ).

Then why change to Mcafee? I am sure it is quite heavy on resources.......

17. karll

karll Guest

Last question

What are the programs you run as resident? I see you have Kerio, mcafee and nod but what are the other ones?

thanks for all your help in advance.

18. bigc73542

In all honesty I have never had mcafee 7.03 slow a computer up due to resource use. the overall detection of mcafee is second only to KAV in almost all of the test's that are available, and along with nod I believe that I have a very good av set up.

bigc

19. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

PG is Process Guard, the 2nd from the right is HP's printer driver and controller, Not sure about the first (left) one and the last(right) one.

20. karll

karll Guest

LOL, thanks but it isn't my business.

thanks for taking the time out to answer my questions bigC.

21. bigc73542

I have winpatrol, spywareblaster,adaware se, spybot s/d, a2, procexp and a few more things. and you are correct on the ones you saw in the scrnsht. the one on the left is hoversnap and the one on the right is winpatrol. ;)

22. flyrfan111

bigc I am quite surprised that you chose McAfee over NOD. Personally, I think Mcafee doesn't fair all that well in the real world. Where I work we use McAfee and we are infested with all kinds of virii, without keeping a log and just off the top of my head some of things I have sent (emailed) to home have been infected with Nachi, Klez, and Zafi and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head at the moment, so I don't have much faith in McAfee and I no longer forward emails or files home.

23. bigc73542

I have had extremly good luck with mcafee but I still have nod, and nod scans the mail and http and I do all of my on demand scanning with nod. i still don't put all my eggs in one basket.

24. flyrfan111

Yes, I agree with the eggs idea but I use NOD exclusively, Sygate Pro, Prevx and a2, so I think I am well protected from anything I might run into, spyware wise I use Spywareblaster, Adaware, Spybot S&D and Spysweeper from webroot. I used to have Panda and alternate Platinum 7 with NOD as my on acccess but my subscription ran out and in my opinion Panda doesn't take care of it's returning customers as they only give $10 off a renewal so I am not renewing. NOD's only weakness is trojans and even that is being addressed here of late as you know and with Sygate's IDS signatures and a2 I think I have the trojan thing well covered and I don't have a local proxy so that isn't an issue with Sygate. I feel pretty well covered, anyway I hope your luck holds with McAfee. If it works on your system that is the biggest factor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.