Command AV 4.93 out...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Technodrome, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I just received an email from them about this upgrade...and here is what’s new:

All Users:

- You may update to version 4.93.0 using either the auto-update feature of CSAV, or by manually clicking the “Update Now” button within the CSAV user interface.

-This 4.93.0 build is classified as a "Medium-Priority : Recommended Update."

NOTICE: At the end of the installation of Version 4.93.0, you may be prompted to restart your computer. If prompted, you MUST restart for real-time Dynamic Virus Protection (DVP) to be properly upgraded.

Feature enhancements/bug fixes in this release

Enhanced Scanning Engine for better performance.
    Improved "Zero Hour" detection heuristics.
    Added support for scanning memory and allowing disinfection of currently running infected processes.
    Added on-demand scanning support (with user-selectable scanning depth) of archive files.
    Added support for on-access scanning of CD-ROM drives.
    Added support for scanning Microsoft Publisher files.
    Added support for scanning "RAR" compressed files.
    Added support for scanning "HQX" BinHex files.
    Added support for scanning "EMF" Enhanced Metafiles.
    Added support for embedded execodes in MS Office files.
    Improved support for scanning "badly formed" archive files.
    Improved support for scanning packer-type archive files.
    Improved text file scanning, including Unicode text support.
    Added "TIF" as a file extension scanned by default.

Enjoy! :)

tECHNODROME

2. iwod

iwod Registered Member

i thought Command AV was based on Fprot engine... how come Fprot never have this update?

3. jlo

jlo Registered Member

I am sure others will confirm but I think Comand (authentium) use the F-prot engine but update it with defs and improves the engine in house?

If you go to F-Prot home page you will see defs dated 21st July. Go to Authentium web site and they are dated 22nd July.

I may be wrong. Looking at the website Comand updates daily where as somtimes its a few days with F-prot?

Cheers

Jlo

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

As jlo has stated, CSAV uses the F-Prot scan engine but this has been developed by Command/Authentium over many years.

Further, Authentium adds its own virus definitions to the data provided by F-Prot so the total malware database is not exactly the same.

IME, the frequency of updates is also different between the two AV's.

However, in most of the tests I have seen the detection rates of F-Prot and CSAV seem to be very similar.

It will be of interest to see whether the detection rate of CSAV has improved with these changes to the scanning engine.

5. jim_k

jim_k Registered Member

Some of the changes in this version of Command Antivirus have also appeared in recent versions of F-Prot Antivirus, as seen in the release notes for version 3.16.x below.

http://www.f-prot.com/download/ReleaseNotesWindows.txt

As others have said, CSAV is different than F-Prot. However, the detection isn't really different enough to matter. However, CSAV does have some other features that F-Prot lacks which some people may be interested in.

Meanwhile, we're all still waiting for F-Prot 4. Does anyone know if Command Software will take advantage of the enhancements in F-Prot 4 once it is released?

6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

All,
    It is loaded on my system. I have way more questions then answers, sorry. :oops:

I am watching both products carefully because there is a price difference for sure. I love CSAV, but F-prot 4 maybe all I need in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.