Coming Soon - Gladiator Scanner !

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Gladiator, Aug 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gladiator

Gladiator Guest

Due to the high technology, the computer world has been busy with the security issues whetever it is from inside or outside organization.

Viruses, worms and trojans are some of the greatest risks in information technology. The growth of viruses, worms and trojans develops the number of the antivirus software vendors.

Gladiator Security Labs, which is one of the vendors, has offered security software for FREE. - Yep, thats right !

The Gladiator Scanner is still under development, but the current alpha version does a pretty nifty job so far.

Also you can update the interface + engine + pattern by clicking the online live update button in the about screen.

Members may participate in our online discussion groups. Each individual piece of content (gladiator scanner software support, virus reviews, questions etc.) has its own discussion forum, through which members may share personal research and experience with their peers. Membership is free.

Please, dont expect too much, coz i'm doing real multitasking at this time - programing, webdesign, updates... Hell, at least i'm not megaman hehehe :D

Best regards
    Gladiator :cool:

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Gladiator,

Welcome ! :)
    Thanks for letting us know about your new AT !!!

Best regards, Jan.

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Gladiator,

I've been expecting a post like this one for some time ;) - obviously took some time to announce your app :cool:.

Welcome. For those lacking funds to buy an anti-trojan, a rather solid AT is a blessing. Do hope your app will get there in the end! Competing with commercial apps like TDS for example isn't an issue here I presume. Providing a nice freeware AT looks like the ultimate - and very worthwhile! - goal to me.

As ever, providing reasonably reliable security software for those who cannot affort buying commercial security software, is something I personally do applaud. Wish you all the best in developping your app!

regards.

paul

4. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

Has anyone tried the version available for download from the Gladiator site? Any thoughts?

5. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

we need to send a hundred of our elite dowen there to help out that way the app dont become another oneof those short term to greatness then the poor guy gets sick or something then it becomes abandon.

im starting to see that more and more and its a shames i belive truly trojan check could had been the best software out there

6. mhg

mhg Guest

what is the website of Gladiator Security Labs?

7. Gladiator

Gladiator Guest

http://www.gladiator-secure.de

@MRBLAZE:
    Well, Gladiator Scanner development time (at all): 16 days.....

Gladiator

8. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi Gladiator

thanks for the heads up

i need a good sterdy ease to use AT i was waiting on ants but it looks like that could be a while as the lead programer is ill rigth now hope he feels better soon

i wish there where more generous people like you and the authers of programs like adshield and ants etc offerin there time and expertese providing the rest of us with free apps to keep us safe and secure while on line coz if there was the world and the web would be a better place

id have to agree with mr blaze some of the people here at wilders should come over to ya web page and help out

id also agree with paul

"Providing a nice freeware AT looks like the ultimate - and very worthwhile! - goal to me.

As ever, providing reasonably reliable security software for those who cannot affort buying commercial security software, is something I personally do applaud"

good job

keep us posted hope all goes well

Blessed be

9. Gladiator

Gladiator Guest

Thank you very much.

Anyway, Gladiator Scanner scans for trojans, worms and viruses.
    Next week is the first alphaversion of the Realtime-Scan-Driver ready i think.

Greets,
    Gladiator

10. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hello Gladiator and welcome! :D

i just peeked at your site and, green being my favourite colour! LOL..well, you've done a fantastic job!!

it is wonderful that you are offering a free AT/AV program, so many will benefit from such a gift.

i looked into the Member's Forums, but it is in a language i do not speak.....do you have plans for a English-speaking Member's Forum by any chance?

i know many students, who are watching every penny while going through school, will be very interested in your scanner.

thank you again!

snap

11. Gladiator

Gladiator Guest

My forum is english :D (look at the bottom) hehe :D

And new guests are welcome to share informations about the scanner project.

We need a english moderator there, coz i can't do all the things at same time.

Offers to Gladiator@Gladiator-Secure.de please :cool:

That will help me...

Greets Gladiator

12. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

ahhh-Ha!...i think i found my way LOL!

so on the Forum i scroll down past the
    Gladiator Security Labs General
    Gladiator Scanner
    Viruses and Trojans Information Centre, until i get to the
    Multilingual Topics...and under the Computer Security - English Topics.....and there i click. (tries not to look totally lost)

did i find it alright?

ahh...i am going to have to take up another language!
    (i'm missing too much) :(

13. notageek

notageek Registered Member

LOL snap. It took me a few minutes to find the english forum there also.

This AT looks promising. Keep us posted on the progress of the program. Oh yeah welcome to the forums.

14. Gladiator

Gladiator Guest

Well, your wish in my ears: Next update Interface Version 0.1.0 available (now)

Fast enough ? :D

Gladiator

15. Hi

Thank you Gladiator, you're work looks interesting and I'm trying out you program! :)

Regards

Gordon

16. mhg

mhg Guest

Question Gladiator:

after i ran a full scan i have 2 windows (the main yellow window and the scan green one).
    as i close the main this geen one does not close. i do not how to close it (not close/x buttons).
    my screen reselution is 640x480 ..
    is there any hiden buttonds i can see?? if not how can i close it ? o_O o_O o_O o_O

17. Gladiator

Gladiator Guest

well, you need to have 800x600 at least.
    But i'm still working ---> (optional) SMALL console....

Gladiator

18. Paul Wilders

Hi Gladiator,

Some questions - guess you don't mind answering them ;):

1) as it seems, signatures are based on the first 4 kb from a (scanned) file. Do you agree, this creates the opportunity to fool the engine quite easily?

2) depacking seems to be a prob for the actual engine?

If so: are you planning to implement a new engine, capable of handling the issues mentioned above?

regards.

paul

19. Vampirefo

Vampirefo Guest

When I click the update I get MSINET.OCX error, then it crashes, It gave me five false alarms, the paths to the Trojans, are incomplete, in the view, so it's hard to track down the suspect files.

It was able to detect two out three Trojans, I had in a folder, but no cleaning options were given, it didn't remove the Trojans, nor did it ask to do so.

20. Paul Wilders

Hi Vamp,

Nice seeing you - and seeing you joining the discussion ;)

regards.

paul

21. Gladiator

Gladiator Guest

Its still under development - so the next engine update will bring more features :cool: (also unpacking routines)

MSINET: You have to install and use regsvr32 on MSINET.OCX.

Gladiator

22. Paul Wilders

I know it's an Alpha version ;)

Any ETA on that? While on issue: how about UPX, PELite, APack for example?

regards.

paul

23. Gladiator

Gladiator Guest

Yes it will unpack this at least.

The problem is you can not "include" an UPX.EXE even if it's freeware.
    So have to build my own decrunch functions.

Yes i know, UPX is Open Source, but that means not you can do anything with it.

You understand what i mean ?

Greets Gladiator

24. wizard

wizard Registered Member

I do not understand this. Can you explain this a little bit more? I know at least two programs that included UPX while using it as a seperate file. Might not be as good as the unpacking engine of KAV or McAfee but at least it works and should be quiet easy to implement.

Do you mean that due to the fact that UPX is not a visual basic source?

Anyway I am looking forward to see the improvements of your development. So far outside an antivirus software I have never seen a good unpacking implementation. Ants anounced it but sofar I had no change to test it.

Instead of an unpacking feature what do you think about memory detection? Other anti trojan programs use this approach.

wizard

25. Gladiator

Gladiator Guest

First at all: I'm C/C++ and Asm Developer.
    VB helps in the start time to "design" a interface and gives a first impression of the "look and feel".
    After this, you can port this code into C/C++ to get ride of some bitches (like runtime libs) hehe :D

memory scan is an other feature that will be available in one of the next updates.

Calling an UPX.EXE eg. "UPX -d file.ext" to unpack this file lets say into an temp-folder to scan it there is (in my mind) bullshit.

Just watch the steps:

START (loop)
    ...Search for filemask (eg *.exe)
    ...FindFirstFile - > get infos
    ...check if it has UPX-Header
    ... no: check for other known headers --- yes: call UPX_SCAN
    ...well seems to be EXE - scan it
    UNTIL no more files to scan

Then you build a function UPX_SCAN (maybe) like this:
    1. Unpack the file into a tempfolder
    2. Open this file (binary input)
    3. Start the loop between all know signs in database
    4. jump to offset and scan for sign
    5. repeat until all signs

Well, its a VERY SIMPLE description (for understanding only)

But....

You make stupid Fileoperations on each packed file.
    That means LOAD UPX into Memory (coz its extern and its not allowed to bind / eg. link this)
    Then you must expand the file TO DISK.

It would be much more better to expand into a shared memory place and scan there (much more faster)
    Thats what i'm making now.

Gladiator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.