Collecting opinions please

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Acadia, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, with the release of TI 8.0, I am collecting opinions to help me make a purchase decision. I currently have version 6.0 along with the Checkimage.exe for verifying the backup file. Let’s assume that 6.0 works perfectly on my system; I actually do not know this because thanks to GoBack on my old computer and FD-ISR on my new computer, I have always been able to "goback in time" and get out of every jam that I have ever found myself in. I never upgraded to version 7.0 because of all the problems I kept reading about that version in this forum and others.

Given the above scenario, how many of you would feel the need to pay to upgrade to 8.0? Since I probably would never use the Incremental backup feature, does 8.0 have that many other features that would make it worth it, and if so, what are they? Yes, I know that I could go the the Acronis site and read up on it, but every manufacturer makes their product sound like the world's greatest and I would rather read objective opinions here.

If I have not provided enough information regarding my needs or you need to know about my system, just let me know. Thanks for all opinions.

Acadia

2. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

No need for CheckImage for a start, and anyone not using the Incremental backup feature is missing out on the best feature of the product - when you see how fast it can do an Incremental you'll soon start using it!

V8.0 can now ignore your Pagefile/Hibernation files which will result in much smaller Image files - this doesn't affect me as I have my Paging file running off my 2nd hard drive which doesn't get/need backing up :)

Fedorov.

3. ycantilogin

ycantilogin Guest

I have used TI 7 for around five months now.It does everything I want it to do and has never let me down once.

For the time being,I will NOT be upgrading to 8.0.If it aint broke,why should I fix it?

I'm perfectly happy with TI 7,as it is.Perhaps I'd feel differently if I'd had a bad experience with it.
    At the very least,I'd wait until TI 8 had been out for a few months and any bugs were fixed or patches released.
    I was a bit stunned at a $19.99 update being released for TI 7 only a few days after purchase.

4. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

My e-mail shows $29.99 to upgrade from TI7 :eek: and then add the sales tax for being in the UK - I wonder why some upgrades are $19.99? I even went to the site and selected upgrade and it is $29.99 o_O

I have my PF on my 2nd HD which at least takes that bit of the upgrade out of my scenario. I do not feel I will upgrade either considering TI7 was supposed to be the perfect Disk Imaging software, I am sure there will be more features added in a short time which may warrant an upgrade to TI10 etc

5. f123

f123 Guest

The idiot-proof method of drive imaging is to create/restore the image file when the partition is NOT IN USE. There will always be upgrades and patches as long as the program continues to run in windows.

IMO, there are four big items in WXP that don't need to be imaged:

1.The hibernate file. I disabled hibernate feature in my customers' PCs.

2.The page file. I configured windows to clear the page file upon exit. Since I only use imaging software that runs outside of windows, there is no need to move the page file to another partition.

3.dllcache folder. I moved this folder to another partition. You can also delete this folder by disabling windows file protection.

4. IE's temporary internet folder. I enabled 'empty temporary internet files folder when browser is closed' in Internet Options.

I'm a big fan of efficient software coding. Bootit ng combines a boot manager, hard drive partitioner and imaging software in one 600KB download. Last checked, TI 7 server is a 22MB download. How many PC owners use all the bells and whistles found in TI?

F.

6. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

I agree with Fedorov. TI v8 offers nothing over v7 when the cost is considered. I have used v7 since Feb of this year (release of v7 on CD) and with the exception of some minor issues (1 of them I owned!) v7 has performed well for me and has saved me countless hours of recreation. My main issue with Acronis is their support (or lack of) of late. See my post "What's With Acronis" in this forum. I am beginning to think that the Company is just throwing out upgrades to get out from under taking care of what is already out there. 2 full versions in 5 months does not get it in my book!

Mike *puppy*

7. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Been using TI since v1.0. ONLY reason for upgrading from 6.0 to 7.0 was because of the incremental benefit. However, it only takes me 4 minutes to do a FULL image so why bother. If I had to do it all over again, I'd stick w/v6.0. Worked flawlessly for me. ;)

~snip~

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2004
  8. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Amen!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2004
  9. SmartyX

SmartyX Registered Member

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

This forum section is the Acronis True Image support forum. As such, topics here are meant to discuss that product. An occasional reference to another product is fine, especially if it helps to clarify a question or an answer, but recommendations for competing products simply do not belong here.

I'm sure everyone has noticed that the same thing holds true for the other product-specific software forums here at Wilders. People are not to push KAV or NAV in the NOD32 forum, or Trojan Hunter and BOClean in the TDS forum.

All such post references have been removed with the exception of the first "occasional reference" which, as I said is fine, so long as it doesn't get out of hand.

11. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

TI 8.0... full backup of 40GB of data takes 17 mins longer than TI 7 and 30 mins to verify the image which is also much longer than TI 7.

IMO Acronis is lacking in core features that its competitors possess (native DVD burning, bootable DVD media, ability to check images during the creation process) and suffers from lackluster, significantly behind the times hardware support (chipsets, external drives, etc...). It takes more than a GUI to make a decent product.

While Anton does a good job supporting the product, the quality of support generally isn't the key selling point. The problem is that the guys that are managing the product and its roadmap are lacking in some basic product management/marketing skills and can't see the forest through the trees.

12. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

I thought the whole idea behind TI 8 was so you could create images faster??

Tipton

13. f123

f123 Guest

Sounds like the filter cops are here. There can be no improvement without constructive criticism. Time to move on. Good luck to all.

F.

14. tazdevl

Incrementals take less time because pagefile, hiberfile aren't backed up.

15. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

So why then are full backups taking longer? I would think this would not have been intentional.

Tipton

16. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, reading through this thread I see plenty of "on topic" constructive criticism for Acronis to consider, and likewise with some other current threads here. The key being "on topic".

The posts that were removed were all totally "off topic" and amounted to simply you pushing a competitor's imaging product in Acronis' official support forum, and replies from other people asking you to stop doing that.

So yes, they were filtered out.

17. tazdevl

Dunno. Compression schema could have changed a bit. I didn't compare sizes. Maybe it crunches things down a bit smaller or maybe the code isn't as clean for 8 as it was with 7. Generally that's how things work when it comes to new versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.