cobra security free

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by simisg, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simisg

simisg Registered Member

2. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

I saw it on Softpedia so it isn't a rogue :D

3. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

From Estonia? (where I live)...
    Never heard about this thing :)
    Sounds interesting :p

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

This thing is nothing else than PStart (USB drive menu) packed with bunch of security programs.
    I'm not sure NOD32 is allowed to be distributed like this. Others are free though.

5. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

This software would be MUCH more useful if it automatically updated the programs it incl. everytime it's started... :doubt:

Now, most software is outdated, even the first time you start it.

6. Antus

Antus Registered Member

Has anyone actually tried this suite out yet? If so .....how does it perform? What about updates? Our members I'm sure would be interested in its performance. Any takerso_O?

7. s4u

s4u Registered Member

Indeed. This would be the most effective suite around

8. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Did you read my previous post? It includes a lot of on-demand scanners, which get outdated very quickly, even if this software is supposed to be a new release. Dr.Web CureIT! for example reported 11 days old when I tried to start it, so it leaves a manual update for the user to do - inconvenient.

Then it likes to call things like Prevx CSI (which doesn't exist anymore - the only app. now is Prevx 3.0, and CSI was never real-time) and SpywareBlaster for real-time protection. Double-clicking these will start an installation. Then we've one kinda real real-time protector; SiteAdvisor. Those three are called "Real-time", the others On-demand. Till the software gets better, e.g. gramatically, getting the facts right and updating everytime it's started - I don't consider it too useful.

9. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

10. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

The program provides most of the recent applications - latest versions.

They might update twice a month for example, so when CureIt is clicked on, it's giving you a prompt to download the latest version, or use an older version.

Overall, quite a good tool in the one download - to save time and hassle.

cobra.jpg
    cobra 2.jpg
    cobra 3.jpg
    cobra4.jpg
    cobra 5.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  11. Saraceno

12. Saraceno

13. Saraceno

Programs like Avast, McAfee Stinger, Avira, Multi Virus Cleaner etc, load without installation. Nod32 requires a small setup extraction. Some like spyware blaster, prevx, McAfee Siteadvisor, will require installation.

14. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I thought that the Nod32 scanner was only available as part of the full commercial product.o_O

15. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

I had the same thought, too.

16. vizhip

vizhip Registered Member

They have a free scanner on their website that allows you to download and install an object in your browser that does a complete scan and fix all at once...

How often you can use it, I don't know... but I do know a friend of mine used it and was surprised that he had no options on whether to fix anything found, it just said it found 34 threats and fixed them all just from running the scan.

Regards -
    -Bob

17. Saraceno

The Nod web scanner is decent.
    http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

I'm not sure how this package is being distributed. Maybe an international nod site publishes an older version of nod scanner to download.

This one is version: 4016 (20090417).

I'm assuming, that is 17 April, 2009.

18. andyman35

Maybe it is an officially licenced add-on here,it's just the only other references I've seen to this scanner as a standalone product have been on warez sites.I spent a fair bit of time looking for a UBCD4Win plugin of this tool but could find nothing remotely legal.

19. andyman35

You may be correct there,although that would certainly diminish it's usefulness greatly.

20. Saraceno

I'd prefer to run separate programs than the ones listed, but, overall, it's quick to launch these programs - if you're short on time and dealing with a problem system.

I've never used the avast cleaner before, which does a full system scan for specific viruses. The trend micro browser cleaner is ok as well, searching for common problem toolbars.

Something like Prevx, Dr.Web and an anti-rootkit program (GMER) would suffice. Sophos anti-rootkit does not run on Vista.

21. Saraceno

But still doesn't address common spyware. User could run through all the tools and still have problems. Would need MBAM or SAS.

22. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Alot of those scanners just don't find everything and the MBAM and SAS find some but not the WINBLUESOFT.. IF they got a badly infected system just better for blow it out and re-install a fresh copy of the OS. Way to much for user to go through the efforts to remove the threat just to learn the system won't be the same because of the damage the pest has done.

23. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

If that's the case then a new online on-demand scanner is coming

Code:
    http://beta.eset.com/eos
    After the scan you'll be asked if you want to keep the definitions or delete all EOS-related items on your PCs. If you choose the first one you can call EOS an "on-demand scanner".

24. vizhip

vizhip Registered Member

I am kind of curious as to the choice of scanners listed... It looks like they are all ONLINE scanners provided by each individual company, thus this software appears to be a security browser to specific sites with their icon provided for the link...

For those attacks that kill your connection to security sites, I wonder if this software would be disabled under those attacks because it wouldn't be able to link to the sites o_O

Just curious...

Regards -
    -Bob

25. andyman35

It works in Opera I see,very nice.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.