Cnet Download.com Installer

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by x942, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

There are easier ways to shut down a company.
    No idea why CNET chooses such a bizarre way of downsizing Download.com.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  3. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

"Download.com "apologises" for bundling" : http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Download-com-apologises-for-bundling-1392501.html

4. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Cnet Apologizes for Nmap Adware Bundling

Officials at Cnet's Download.com site have issued a statement apologizing for bundling the popular open source Nmap security audit application with adware that changed users' search engine and home page to Microsoft properties.

In its apology, Cnet said that the situation was the result of an oversight.

"The bundling of this software was a mistake on our part and we apologize to the user and developer communities for the unrest it caused. In addition to immediately taking Nmap out of the download manager, we reviewed all open source files in our catalog to ensure none are being bundled. It is a Download.com policy not to bundle open source software and we will continue to take pains to ensure this does not happen again," Sean Murphy wrote in the statement.

https://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/cnet-apologizes-nmap-adware-bundling-120811

5. wade7575

wade7575 Registered Member

You and the whole CNET Team should be Ashamed of yourselves,I just the stupid Babylontoolbar from your website I download 3 thing's from your website and then bang once there installed I can not do google search's without being redirected to another website.Thanks alot Cnet you guys Rock and are most certainly the best.Oh yes and that was a great try putting up that stupid uninstaller on your website that scans my PC and when it's done want's 39.99 to remove it it seems ike to me you guys a Cnet and the guy's that make that stupid Babylon toolbar have a really scam going on how much is Cnet's cut everytime someone buys that stupid uninstaller.

6. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Moonchild (Pale Moon dev) has an interesting take on CNET's new SpotInstall system:
    http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=714&sid=416625ef2c2c361a8a2ff186bd117343

7. Babylon LTD

Babylon LTD Registered Member

Dear Users:

Babylon Offers a full service for all its products and features valid from the Babylon Store and on the world wide web
    You can gain a full support and assistance on how to remove Babylon from your computer by the following ways :

Phone-18668086361 (US)
    Email: Support@babylon.com
    Website for Chat and Q& A : http://support.babylon.com/

Babylon holds more than 150 Million Clients worldwide, with reputation for 15 Years, Babylon has no means to destroy that reputation and therefor offers help and assistance for anyone who seeks for,
    in order To make sure the Software will work or be removed if the client requires it for

Feel free to contact us
    Thank you in Advanced

Babylon :)

8. guest

guest Guest

I have no problem with this business practice by CNET as long as the third-party offerings:
    - aren't obligatory;
    - don't increase the original download size by a sizable margin (unless they are explicitly accepted);
    - can be easily dismissed.

Thanks from a user who understands the unnoble but essential need of profiting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.