Clueless on Wireless

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by CatFan432, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

My internet hookup is a cable modem, with an Ethernet hub. I have three IP addresses assigned to me. Is there an add-on card for wireless to install in my computer that will broadcast a signal to provide a guest access to the internet with their wireless enabled laptop? Or is a wireless router the only option?

Thanks for any help, regards, CatFan

2. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

If you just have a modem and not a wireless gateway (modem-router) ask your cable company if they provide those free to subscribers. If not, you would have to buy an inexpensive wireless router for your modem to provide WiFi for your guests.

3. CatFan432

Jo Ann,
    Thanks for the reply, I needed a starting point, and will go from here.

Regards, CatFan

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hi CatFan! I am new to wireless my self,A couple a months ago I picked up a netgear router with firewall for under 60.00 us dollars. It was a easy set up with self install Cd.They also offer 24 Hr tech support by phone free for ninety days,So they can walk you through the setup/settings/security etc.Of course there is many other brands on the market some more expensive,and my offer further wireless range,But In general Not needed.One suggestion I would make is If you do set one up try to confine the router where it not near outerwalls or windows,wireless signals have a good range and go through walls windows etc.This helps from prying eyes picking up your signals from seeing your network,but proper security setting you should be fine.best regards Dave

5. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I always recommend wifi router where you can install 3rd party firmware. I just change DD-WRT to Tomato and I'm very happy with it. Those 3rd party firmwares offers much more options than original.

6. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

When I started using wireless a few months ago I got a Linksys WRT54GL from NewEgg because of the reviews I read. Only thing was that the One Button Setup (or whatever it is called) did not work for me. Instead I used Linksys's EasyLink Advisor which made it simpler.

7. CatFan432

Thanks to all for your replies. I'm going to go with a Linksys WRT100 from Newegg and see what happens.

Regards, CatFan

8. CatFan432

Thanks again for the help, you all made it sound quite simple, as it turned out to be. Configured and working well.

Regards, CatFan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.