Closed: NAV Tech Support???

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mannaggia, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

I installed the trial version of NAV 2005 about a week ago. I set up Auto-Protect to the default> Start Auto-Protect when Windows starts up and "how to respond when a virus is found">try to repair then quarantine if unsuccessful. I set up the e-mail scanner for inbound and outbound, ask me what to do when a virus is found.

I ran the Eicar test file and got a NAV pop up stating that a virus was detected and has been deleted. I ran the Eicar e-mail test and got a NAV pop up stating that a virus was detected and deleted. There was no could not repair, file deleted. I was not given any options any options for the e-mail virus detection.

I sent off an e-mail to tech support and got the usual uninstall/reinstall reply. He also wanted me to explain what exactly the problem was. I already did that in the first e-mail, but I explained again. I got another reply from the same person. Basically the same reply word for word. I replied again. This time I stated that the two replies from him with basically the same suggestions was very poor tech support. Today I got this reply..........

I apologize for any confusion surrounding this situation.Please be aware that in some reported cases Auto-Protect will automatically delete EICAR string without notifying or quarantine. We are aware of the issue but do not have any solution available at this time. Symantec would like to apologize for any inconvenience or loss of productivity this issue has caused you.

Many updates and changes to our products and services are due to customer feedback. Should you wish to provide additional comments regarding any Symantec product or service, please use the Symantec Feedback Website, linked below:

I wanted to get some thoughts from the folks here on what they think about how this was handle by Symantec's tech support. I'm a little upset because I'm running the software, and I believe it should perform the way I have set up. Maybe there are cooler heads out there. Is Symantec tech support usually this bad? I think NAV is a pretty good AV, but if I were to pay for it, I want it to perform correctly.

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Re: NAV Tech Supporto_O

No, it's usually much worse!!!

When I found Usrprmt suddenly appearing in my autostart line-up, I queried it with Symantec by email and they replied that it was spyware! I queried this and they confirmed that it was indeed spyware (even though they sent it to me in 'live update'). It was only at the third attempt, after many weeks of trying, that they finally confirmed it was theirs and was legitimate (used for the installation of SP2).

I never received an apology for the inconveniencce I was put to, and when live update finally packed up I got rid of Norton for good. I still had 7 months to run on the licence; but I hold Symantec in utter contempt! :mad: :mad: :mad:

For more on this unedifying subject, see this link:- https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=50924

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  3. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

I've read many posts about Symantec's support. and I always thought, come on, it can't be that bad. Well I found out it is. I don't know what the other AV companies support is like, but I hope it's better than Symantec's.

4. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I'm sure we'll all get spanked for having an "anti-Symantec" thread, but I've got my tissues ready.

As far as I'm concerned, the phrase "Symantec support" is an oxymoron. I'm not sure, but I strongly suspect that they're one of the companies that has farmed out their support to some overseas company. And, of course, they can get away with this for the most part. But anyone who puts a premium on support (as I do) has no rational choice but to forever ban Symantec products from their computers.

5. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Yeah, but look at SYMC's stock price over the last 3 years! SYMC is the KING of hype and advertising. Has anyone seen the CEO John Thompson? Massive insider sales every quarter.

Too many uninformed PC users believing that this is the best AV that $ can buy.

6. nameless

Symantec's tech support is awe-inspiring, industry-leading, and unsurpassed. And I don't need to provide proof of those statements, either, because shucks, they're positive, not negative.
    -

7. firefly

firefly Registered Member

Can only agree with the other posts - Norton Tech support is among the worst you can find.

8. nameless

PROVE IT, DAMMIT, PROVE IT, OR YOU'RE VIOLATING THE TOS!!!

j/k

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

and
    nameless,

Read the TOS. By design, and for a myriad of reasons, it states and I quote:
    Perceptions are neither true nor false, they are your perception/opinion on any given matter. So if it's you opinion that Symantec's support is world class, that's fine as far as the TOS is concerned. If your opinion is the polar opposite, the question of whether it potentially rises to a level of defamation is broached. Defamation requires that the statements made be false. Depending on one's standing in the analysis, the ground can definitely soften at this point and enter somewhat gray areas. A singular example of poor service does not render the statement that "company X's support is universally abysmal" immediately correct. I realize that this example is somewhat contrived, but that's how I approach it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with relating personal experiences in connection with any product's functionality or support. When one starts to move beyond an objective recitation of the facts of the case however, the line between productive comment and unsupported product bashing is, IMHO, likely to be crossed. It is the generalized extrapolation beyond factual content that creates the issues.

The concept is really not too difficult to understand.

Blue

10. nameless

Wow, the air is so thick with arrogance! Why are you even replying to me? Reply to firefly, the one who made the most-recent sweeping generalization of your beloved Symantec's tech support.

By the way, I included the text "j/k", which means "just kidding". That means it wasn't serious. The concept is really not too difficult to understand.
    -

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it's easy to prove you can do it yourself, try typing (think of an AV) then forum or support in a search engine. i just did it and when i typed symantec support top of the list was http://securityresponse.symantec.com/ then i clicked support>home & home office/small business>access free online technical support>select a product>select a version>knowledge base>then i came to this>>>90 percent of all answers are contained in the Symantec Knowledge Base. Search the Norton AntiVirus Knowledge Base to find answers to common problems and questions, then i calicked on> Search Tips>opps>No results were found for your search.o_O>support home>back to>>access free online technical support>select a product>select a version>knowledge base>then i came to this>>>90 percent of all answers are contained in the Symantec Knowledge Base. Search the Norton AntiVirus Knowledge Base to find answers to common problems and questions, then i clicked on>then in the box i typed>norton wont install>search>then it asked if i ment>norton will not install?>fianally i thought i was going to get somewhere :eek: >89 results found, sorted by relevance>oh dear the dont seem to have the ptoblem in having in the knowlegde baseo_O>time to give up :'( :'( :'(

now i'll try with my current AV >antivir forum>top of the list i get to >http://www.free-av.de/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

does that prove it to you?

12. nameless

Am I the only sober person here or what? My god, I ... just can't believe this. I give up. You missed the point so widely that... oh never mind.
    -

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

sorry, but as you probably know, i dont use the anti-virus forum much, if you were being sarcastic, well, i agree with you :D

as for being sober i can only answer for myself :blink: http://emoticons4u.informationalot.com/cartoon/1244.gif

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  14. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Gee, I didn't think it was arrogant. Maybe a little stilted.

Look, I understand your sarcasm and the j/k. It's just that it doesn't always translate in a global forum. I was providing a bit of context of where that transition from valid criticism to bashing may be crossed. I replied to you since, well, you raised the TOS question and positioned the positive vs. negative in the two items I quoted - even though both were in jest.

As for my beloved Symantec tech support, I guess you simply don't read my posts. I'm not a current customer and can't image becoming one again in the forseeable future.

As for sober...., last time that I looked, I'm fine.

Regards,

Blue

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

All that can be said has been said. Thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.