Cloning to an external hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by andybramuk, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andybramuk

andybramuk Registered Member

I want to use Acronis True Image 8.0 to clone my hard disk to an external hard drive connected through a USB port.

The process seems to be going fine until the reboot - after the reboot the external drive is not recognised and the process stops.

Is it not possible to clone to an external hard drive through a USB port?

Many thanks for any help you can give

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi andybramuk,

It's not clear how you carried out the clone (from within Windows or from the boot rescue CD) or whether you're trying to boot off the external drive plus a few other details. Notwithstanding, I think you should read this <previous thread>, particularly the link(s) provided by Al (a.k.a. ctal). Hopefully you will find the answer to your problem in there somewhere.

Regards

3. andybramuk

Hi,

Many thanks for that. I did try and read that thread - but couldn't follow it - I'm afraid I'm not all that technical.

I tried to create the clone from within Windows - so I ran True Image, selected "Disk Clone" and then followed the instructions - selecting source drive C: and destination drive G: (the external drive) and at this point in the process the G:drive is recognised.

In the next part of the process - TrueImage reboots the computer - but when it reboots it says that only one drive has been found - in other words - it cannot recognise that G:drive at that stage.

Does that give you any more information that might help solve the problem?

Thanks for bothering to reply.

4. iflyprivate

iflyprivate Registered Member

My suggestion is to download build 800 and then create the TrueImage 8 Rescue CD (full version). Boot from this CD. It will load TrueImage 8 and you can clone from your internal HD to your external USB drive.

If you see an error message about hub disconnect, etc. just IGNORE it and WAIT about 20 seconds and the process will auto-start.

5. andybramuk

Great. Thanks for that.

I've just tried it. It boots up from the Rescue CD but then the mouse won't work.

Is that normal? What should I do to get the mouse working?

Many thanks for your help.

6. FTJoe

FTJoe Registered Member

My mouse (trackpoint aka eraserhead) doesn't work either on the CD when booting my Thinkpad T40. Wife's T42 has the mouse working (USB mouse). You have to navigate with the tab key, space bar and enter key. Tab to get to your choices, space to select the choice, etc. Sorry that doesn't answer the question, but a mouse not working has never worried or stopped me.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello andybramuk,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Could you please try the "acpi=off noapic" workaround (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for the details) and if it doesn't help please create sysinfo.txt file (please see the same link) and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread and the full model name of your mouse. We will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.