Cloning to a USB Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by EPC, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EPC

EPC Registered Member

Hi,
    I just cloned the internal HD of our Win2000 server to a USB HD using True Image Server for Windows. After the cloning procedure this is what happens:

1) If I leave the USB drive plugged in, the system boots from it (the USB drive) instead of the internal drive. Is this normal?

2) If I boot up *without* the USB drive plugged in, the system boots normally, but then when I plug the USB drive in, I get memory dumps and other fatal crashes. Is this normal?

Neither of these two things happened when I cloned using a workstation and True Image Home (as opposed to the above situation which was a server using True Image Server for Windows).

Why the completely different behavior between the two?

Thank you

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

I'm not sure if this is the case with your situation, but the drive letter on the USB drive might have to be changed. There were reports that after cloning, the cloned drive get assigned the drive letter and the drive volume name from the original. If so, change both the letter and the volume name on the usb drive.

3. EPC

EPC Registered Member

The drive letter(s) that got assigned were different. The original partitions C and D became G and F (in that order) on the cloned drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.