Cloning to a specific partition on the destination disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ralph Artisan, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've been unable to clone a HD to a specific partition on another HD. The destination drive has two partitions and I haven't able to find a way for Acronis True Image 8 to clone my source disk to just one of the partitions on the destination drive. It would seem that I could only clone to the entire disk, thus wiping out the two partitions in this case. I can't seem to find an option that would allow me to clone my source disk to a specific partition on the destination disk. I tried doing this using the bootable CD and through the Windows interface, but couldn't find a way to do it. Would appreciate any help.
    Ralph

2. A|ex

A|ex Registered Member

this has been an issue since acronis started making the program builds, what you need to do is make another partition. once you have done this you will then be able to select the partition(s) you wish to image :)

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Ralph Artisan

I sorry to have to tell you what you are trying to do is impossible under the Clone operation.

A clone will only do just that, make a clone of one HDD to another HDD.[all the Partitions and MBR to the other HDD]

What you are trying to do can only be done with an Image.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

5. Many thanks to the responders to my query.

It's a pity that ATI will not allow a user to directly clone the contents of a HD to a specific partition on the destination drive. I'm able to do this routinely using Symantec's Norton Ghost program. I've only started to work recently with the ATI program after having used Norton Ghost for a number of years. I'm particularly impressed with the speed of the ATI program insofar as the cloning process is concerned, both in terms of cloning to an internal HD as well as a USB external HD. It's considerably faster than Ghost and that's an important consideration for me.

Re Alex's comment re my query to "make another partition. once you have done this you will then be able to select the partition(s) you wish to image." Could you amplify your suggestion? How would creating another partition (on the destination disk?) enable me to clone to a specific partition on the destination disk?
    Ralph

6. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Ralph Artisan

I think A|ex was confusing Cloning with creating an Image.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Ralph,

Why would you want to use TI to "clone" your source drive to a partition on your destination drive rather than TI's whole disk (as opposed to partition) "image" mode?

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.