Cloning to a Raid

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jackfish, Oct 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackfish

jackfish Registered Member

I am using NVRAID to clone a single drive to a RAID 1. I went to the NVIDIA web site and it stated the following:

"In order to properly use disk imaging utilities to interact with a NVRAID volume you must ensure that the utiliy is

operating in a mode where it does not try to directly access the drives. The utility should communicate direct with the

system motherboard BIOS. In order to use disk imaging utilities on a NVRAID volume, you must perform the the following.

1. Disable the Direct Disk Access.

2. Enable "Extended INT13" to access the disk.

How can I do this in TI 9.0

2. D17S

D17S Registered Member

Can’t really help, but just curious. Do you have an NForce 4 based motherboard . . . and ‘NVRAID’ is Nvidia’s raid utility to allow setup and access to their onboard SATA raid capability? Close? I’m thinking about going to AMD and I will want to use their onboard SATA raid at some point. My strategy will be to use ‘cloning,’ back and forth from the raid to a single drive, as my data backup method.

Just FYI, look here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=101277

My project (with a PATA raid) just got interesting!

3. jackfish

jackfish Registered Member

Yes I have a DFI NF4 Ultra D M/B with NVRAID on the SATA and PATA drives. I just can not get TI 9.0 to clone to a raid 1 volume. It just does not work, it gets to 4%-8% of the copying process and just stops. I've been searching everywhere for answers on this issue with no luck.

4. D17S

D17S Registered Member

Just thinking out loud, . . . to clone a raid 1, this would want the clone program to write an identical image to both drives in the raid 1 set at the same time? (Sounds tough, but the raid controller might be able to handle this. Just the unassisted clone program might have a rough time.) If the clone program/raid controller could do this, you would then have your 2, raid 1 drives 'all duplicated' and ready to run as a raid 1 set. Yes?

Can you clone to them individually as single drives then run the NVraid utility to "connect' them as a raid 1? . . . or does the connection process format both drives as a setup procedure?

I had excellent luck cloning TO a raid 0 set. My controller presented the 2 drives as a single drive (a 'Raid 0') to the acronis program and all went well . . . but that "Raid 1" is a different story. It only sounds vaguely familiar, but those 'int 13' and 'direct disk access' descriptions sound like hard drive functions that might be only accessable though a disk manafacture's utility program.

and even still. . . just thinking out loud.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jackfish,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that Acronis True Image 9.0 supports all levels of hardware RAID arrays along with the wide variety of modern RAID controllers. The reason for the problem might be that your particular RAID controller is not yet supported, because of a lack of the appropriate drivers.

As for the Direct Disk Access and other parameters, please note that there is no such option in Acronis True Image 9.0, since it is not needed. In case Acronis True Image 9.0 recognizes your RAID array as a single drive (supports it), all the appropriate measures will be taken automatically.

If you are trying to clone your hard drive from under Windows then please make sure that you use the latest build (2277) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please also check each partition of your hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

If that does not help then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

In case you are trying to clone your hard drive when booted from Bootable Rescue CD, please make sure that you use Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2277) of Acronis True Image 9.0.

If the problem still persists then please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you will not be able to create a sysinfo.txt file for some reasons then please boot from the Acronis True Image 9.0 rescue disc once more and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears.

After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button. As the startup messages stop scrolling please write down the last few lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens.

Please also create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

I should also warn you that your newly cloned operating system might not boot, because of the lack of installed drivers for the RAID array. You will probably need to perform Windows Repair Installation as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please also take a look at this FAQ article.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. evil_ryu

evil_ryu Registered Member

nForce 4 raid cloning

I have an Asus A8N-E with chipset nForce 4 Ultra. I put 2 hard disk in raid 0. I create 2 partitions. Now 2 things happen:

1) if both partitions are primary True Image 9 build 2289 recognizes only the first one as good and the the second one as damaged;

2)if the first partion is primary and the second is extended/logical True Image 9 build 2289 recognizes only the first one and it doesn't see the second one.

What it happens? Is there an incomplete support for this kind of chipset on version 9?

I managed to get a complete backup of the 2 partitions with True Image 8 build 937.

I think the 9 version has still lots of problems!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.