Cloning RAID 1 Disk with Partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gla, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gla

gla Registered Member

I have two 232 GB disks in a RAID 1 array with 2 partitions - 216 GB as C: for data and 16 GB D: for the the Windows XP OS. The RAID is Intel hardware driven. Using True Image 9.0 I would like to clone one of the existing RAID drives to an identical 232 GB disk to use in another identical computer as a non-RAID drive. However, True Image does not seem to see the existing disk as a physical 232 GB disk, but rather as one physical 216 GB disk and another 16 GB physical disk. I presume that is what the OS is seeing from the RAID controller . Any suggestions on how to accomplich this?

2. brianlewis

brianlewis Registered Member

Use the drive manufacturer tool to 'low level' or clear the drive.
    Also I'd recommend powering down, remove one of the drives from the RAID, plug in the new one in its place and bootup and tell the raid to start mirring again, now the drive you pulled out you maybe use in another machine.
    That is if they are all identical spec that is.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello gla,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that Acronis True Image 9.0 Home fully supports RAID configurations (including RAID 0,1,5, etc.) even while booted from Bootable Rescue media.

When Acronis True Image is running under Windows, it works with all the hard disk drivers detected by the operating system. If Acronis True Image is running in rescue mode (e.g. to restore the system partition), then it provides support for all hardware RAID controllers.

I would recommend that you download and install the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and see if the issue persists. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please uninstall the previous version/build of Acronis True Image prior to the installation of the latest build of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home.

Please note that if the hard drive is partitioned then Acronis True Image should "see" all the partitions. Therefore, I would recommend you to create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure. Provide us with the exact model and vendor of the RAID controller you use. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the issue appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the issue and try to provide you with a solution.

Would also like to mention that Acronis True Image is able to perform the action you have described. However, please note that if the destination computer hardware is different from the hardware on the original computer you may have problems with booting from the clonned hard drive. In this case using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (Sysprep) may solve the issue. Please have a look at this thread for details.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.