Cloning Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by starbuck, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starbuck

starbuck Registered Member

I am tring to clone my 80 gb drive onto a 300 gb drive. I have followed the procedure for "automatic". The program completes after reboot and messages that it has successfully completed the cloning operation. However, no files have been copied onto the new hard drive. I was under the impression that the cloning operation would create an identical partition as well as copy the operating system and all other files from the old drive to th enew one. Is there something I am missing or is there another step that must be performed. I am using ATI 9.0 build 3,677. I have downloaded and printed out the users guide but found no additional help there. Any help would be appriciated.
    Thanks.

2. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

Try doing the Clone process by booting up with the "Boot-CD" first. Then select the "Manual" step. This works for me everytime.
    I've cloned a 74gb Raptor (10,000rpm HD) to a 160gb (7,200 rpm) HD...with great success. Works perfectly!

Or, you could use the "Boot-CD", and install a FULL Backup (.tib file) on the other Hard Drive. This also has worked like a charm.

NOTE: I recommend you run "ScanDisc" one time, and then run "DeFrag" a few times before you do this. It will help for a smoother process.

3. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Starsfan09 wrote in their last post...
    If you use Windows XP remember it is chkdsk. ScanDisk won't run under an NT-based OS. Otherwise the advise is sound, run chkdsk c:/r and Windows defrag utility before you Clone. Additionally it is always a good idea to clean up the old disk before running chkdsk or defrag.

On the point of defrag. Even if Windows tells you that there is no need to run defrag, still run it.

4. starbuck

Thanks starcfan09 and Tabvla.
    Before going any further I decided to run chkds attributes f and r since that is something I have not done since my last computer and that was several years ago. It didn't find much to fix. I ran disk cleanup to delete some things. I ran defrg again. I had done it several days earlier to make ready for cloning. I did another complete backup to replace the one I had done a couple of weeks ago along with its recent differential. I then tried running the manual cloning operation from windows and had the same results as yesterday using automatic. I then repeated the manual operation using a boot CD and everything then went as it was suppose to. My original 80 gb hard drive is now on the shelf as an emergency backup and my new 300 gb drive is running as c: and everything appears to be happy. I have another 300 gb drive as E: that I installed several weeks ago that replaced a failed E: drive which contained my backups. When my 160 gb backup drive failed, thats what started what stated this hard drive update session.
    Thanks again,
    Starbuck

5. starbuck

Opps. Spoke too soon. Since I haved moved the operating system and all the files onto a larger hard drive I am now getting a Microsoft message saying that Windows XP is operating in a reduced capacity mode and I am not be to create or save documents. The message states to enter the original product disks to reactivte the product. I bought this computer with the Windows XP already installed and it did not come with original disks, therefoer I have none to install. I have my old "Office 95" and Windows 95 & 98" discs, but somehow I don't think it would want those. Anyone have suggestions that might work to get the MS software functioning again?
    Starbuck

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The OEM versions of windows are transferable to another machine are they? I thought the OEM license wa limited in that way.

7. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

shieber you are absolutely correct!

I quote below from a Microsoft directive on the subject

8. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

Oppps! My bad. Meant to say "chkdsk". Still find myself wanting to say "Scandisc". :gack: o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.