Cloning problems with Vista on Ver 11

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by seshsud, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seshsud

seshsud Registered Member

I recently upgraded to version 11 hoping I can clone my Lenovo laptop which came preinstalled with Vista. But while going through the backup process it complains the following:

Acronis True Image Home failed to move your data because your new hard drive does not have enough free space to complete the operation. The reasons follow.

1. Some of your partitions contain errors. We recommend you reboot your operating system and correct these errors. For example, start the Check Disk utility if you use Windows.

2. Your new hard disk is much smaller than the old one. Make sure you've selected the correct old hard disk. If you have chosen the "As Is" option on the previous page, go back and try to select another option.

New hard drive is 200GB and source hard drive (containing Vista) is 80GB of which the first 8GB is a hidden OS partition.
    Ran chkdsk /r /f on the new disk and it returned no errors

I chose the automatic cloning option.

Strange thing is I am able to clone an XP instance onto the same hard driev so nothign is wrong with the new 200GB hard drive.
    Can someone tell me what is going wrong?Please help!!Is it not possible to clone a vista drive?

What I intend to achieve in my 200GB Hard drive is to have 3 partitions
    A) Partition 1- Containing Vista with 80GB
    B) Partition 2- Containing XP with 40 (my other Laptops cloned drive)
    c) Partition 3- Data partition of 80GB that is shared between Vista and XP

Assuming there is a way to solve the vista cloning issue, how can I go about accomplishing the same?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  2. GeorgeCz

GeorgeCz Registered Member

I have had the same problems trying to clone the Lenovo T60P with Vista Ultimate pre-loaded on laptop to a new SATA 200GB HD located in an ultra-bay. First time I used version 10 and it did not work. I got the winload.exe error. I then upgraded to version 11 but have not tried it yet.

The hidden partition which contains the OS pre-load may be causing problems with the cloning. I would be interested in knowing how others have successfully accomplished the cloning with a hidden partition.

3. craig0

craig0 Registered Member

Same problem here too. Trying to clone a vista install from one harddrive to another one. The harddrives are identical.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

Could you please create Acronis Report (with both hard drives connected) as it is described in Acronis Help Post then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Levchenko

5. seshsud

Hello acronis support,
    Please find attached the report created with this tool. Let me know what to do next. Can the drive be cloned or not?I bought version 11 thinking vista can be cloned.

Attached Files:

6. Acronis Support

Hello seshsud,

Please notice that the report indicated that your hard drive (the source one) has file system errors. Please run "chkdsk /r" to repair them. It will require your computer to reboot since it needs to work with system partition.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. seshsud

ok ran the check disk,no errors were reported.Whats next?

8. Acronis Support

Hello seshsud,

We are sorry for delayed response.

If the problem with cloning persists, please recreate Acronis Report, and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.