Cloning Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mneblett, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mneblett

mneblett Registered Member

Set up:
    HP desktop w/
    Win ME,
    40GB primary HD,
    60GB slave HD (on same ribbon cable),
    120GB external HD,
    TI8, build 796

My objective: Swap the 60 and the 40 for one another (i.e., get the data on the 60GB HD to the 40GB HD, and the OS/data on the 40GB HD to the 60GB HD and make the 60GB HD the boot HD).

My planned approach:
    1. Clone the 60's data to the 120 external.
    2. Clone the 40's OS and data onto the 60.
    3. Make the 60 the primary boot HD
    4. Blow the data temporarily held on the 120 external onto the (now slave) 40.

Step 1 -- data xfer from the 60 to the 120 external completed no problem.

Step 2 -- problem: The cloning of the 40's OS and data to the 60 appeared to progress fine, up to the point that TI8 said to reboot. At this point, the system locked up, not allowing the TI8's "reboot" button to be clicked (or do anything else -- total system lock-up). Finally, I had to manually shutdown (depress power button until power kicked off).

I turned the power back on, and the system booted up to point of showing my Windows desktop background image (with few of the icons and none of the System Tray programs yet loaded) and then locked up. Tried rebooting a few more times, and it would always hang at the Desktop

To make a long story short(er), suspecting the system is confused because it's seeing two bootable HDs, I unplugged the 60GB slave (I had not yet swapped the primary/slave assignments). The machine rebooted fine on just the original 40GB HD.

At this point last night, it was past midnight and I couldn't devote any more time to it.

When I get home tonight, I intend to swap the primary/secondary jumpers on the HDs.

Anything else I need to do??

Did the fact that the system hung during the original cloning of the 40 to the 60 cause a problem? I.e., was there some change Acronis normally makes after the reboot button is clicked that didn't happen because the program hung?

Thanks,

2. mneblett

Re: Cloning Problem - HELP!

*BUMP*

Please help -- my 60GB HD is now completely unusable! The only way my system will boot now is if the 60GB is disconnected. Anyone have a way to get in with the 60GB hooked up so I can wipe (fdisk?/repartition?) it??

3. mneblett

Well, I'm getting closer. I was able to start-up with the Acronis boot CD, and repartition my slave 60GB HD. I now am back to having both HDs plugged in and having Win ME start up normally.

So, do I risk starting up TI8 and trying to clone the 40GB HD to the 60GB HD again??

Hey, just thought of something -- Any chance my McAfee virus protection software is interfering with TI8's attempts to write to the boot sector on the 60GB HD?

4. mneblett

This is getting weird talking to myself! *Anybody* have any thoughts to share??

Next step -- After getting access to my slave 60GB HD again, I started TI8 in Windows from the desktop shortcut.

Result? TI8 threw up its window and then locked the entire machine solid -- no response to anything -- not even Ctrl-Alt-Del. Started "ticking" after awhile like the keyboardmouse buffer was full.

Powered off, rebooted, back to Windows freezing at the partially loaded desktop.

Powered off, disconnected the slave HD, rebooted. Windows boots normally.

I've uninstalled TI8 -- I have never had this much trouble with a new program -- and for reference, my first PC was a self-built-up 386SX in the late '80s!

Any suggestions?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mneblett,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Please try to boot from Acronis Bootable CD with both disks plugged and perform the cloning. After that please do not boot from either of the disk (it will cause problems connected with your having to identical disks in the system) but clone your external drive to the internal one (choose which of them you need).

Just in case you need to do the same in future, you may create images of both your internal drives, store them on the external one and then restore them to the necessary disks after booting from Acronis Bootable CD.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. mneblett

Thank you very much for the reply. I finally got home last night and tackled the problem again.

After a bit of hard drive juggling, I ultimately got my primary drive cloned on my larger slave drive, the slave made primary, and the content stored on my external drive copied to the new slave (former primary) HD.

I also for the first time had the TI8 installation program run all the way to the end of the installation without locking up the machine, so the TI8 program is finally completely installed.

One (hopefully) last question on a new problem:

After installing TI8, I successfully created an image of the new master HD, with the image files being deposited on the external HD.

I then tried to create an image of the slave drive on the external drive, but the image creation subroutine aborts with the following errors recorded in the log:

Failed to process process pair script:C:\WINDOWS\ApplicationData\Acronis\TruImage\Scripts\70C08F8B-FFED-4188-B9A5-1A9DA097D385.tmp.tib.tis

Image creation has failed

Suggestions, please?

7. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, mneblett

Does it meet the Acronis Ti8 requirements?:- Acronis True Image 8.0 System requirements

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

8. Acronis Support

Hello mneblett,

Could you please describe what error you have received when tried to create the image? Or there was nothing except the log entry? Please check whether the file C:\WINDOWS\ApplicationData\Acronis\TruImage\Scripts\70C08F8B-FFED-4188-B9A5-1A9DA097D385.tmp.tib.tis really exists.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. mneblett

Thanks for the thought but the 386SXs about 10 machines ago -- the current machine is a 1.2GHz AMD HP Pavilion desktop.

10. mneblett

Ilya,

The message box that pops up says: "Image creation has completed with errors. Please, see log for more details." When I click on the show log box, the above error messages are recorded in the log as the last three entries.

There is no image file for my D: drive written on my external HD (only the successfully created image files for my C: drive).

I checked -- no "C:\WINDOWS\ApplicationData\Acronis\TruImage\Scripts\70C08F8B-FFED-4188-B9A5-1A9DA097D385.tmp.tib.tis" file in that subdirectory.

Additional thoughts?

Thank you,
    Mark

11. Acronis Support

Hello Mark,

This issue seems to be rather complicated. Could you please download Acronis Report utility available at http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and send it to support@acronis.com? Also please send us screenshots of all your actions in wizard. We will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

12. mneblett

Thanks -- I've downloaded the utility, and forwarded the resulting report to the support address. No screen shots because I do not know how to make them!

Mark

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

14. mneblett

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You're welcome Mark. :)

16. mneblett

Was: Cloning; Now: Imaging Problem

Well, having still not received any help from tech support, I tried creating an image of my D: Drive from the Acronis boot disk. I am pleased to say that this was successful.

The question remains: Why can't I image my D: drive in Windows?? All the more perplexing because I *can* image the C: drive with TI8 in Windows.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions??

17. Acronis Support

Re: Was: Cloning; Now: Imaging Problem

Hello mneblett,

It is really strange that ou haven't recieved any help from Acronis Support Team. Could you please send me a PM with your Acronis request # that was sent to you in autoreply? I will try to find out the reason for the delay.

The problem seems to be in some applications that is running under Windows and holds the D partition. Please try the follwoing workaround:
    - Navigate to "Start" -> "Control Panel" -> "Administrative Tools" -> "Computer Management" -> "Disk Management";
    - Close the "Computer Management" screen and try to create the image once again.

It may help because whe you enter "Disk Management" Windows takes the exclusive access to disks and after you close this screen Acronis True Image should be able to create the image. Another workaround is to create the image after booting Windows in Safe mode (please press F8 when Windows starts up and choose "Safe" mode).

As for the screensnots, please read the below step-by-step instructions.

- Get to the window which you want to make a screen shot of;
    - Hit the (Alt+)PrintScreen button on your keyboard;
    - Run Paint usually available in Start\Programs\Accessories or another graphics application;
    - Choose Paste command in Edit menu;
    - Save the result picture with JPEG format being preferable.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

18. mneblett

Re: Was: Cloning; Now: Imaging Problem

19. Rockrz

Rockrz Registered Member

Part of the problem is running Windows ME.
    Evert think of upgrading to XP?

20. Acronis Support

Hello Mark,

I am realy sorry for not noticing that you are using Windows Me, not XP. However, Ivan has already answered you and asked for screnshots of your actions. Your situation is really strange. Please check whether you are able to create files in C:\WINDOWS\ApplicationData\Acronis\TruImage\Scripts\ manually and let Ivan know about it.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.