cloning problem: program stuck at deleting old partitions on destination disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by quinncx, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quinncx

quinncx Registered Member

Hi! I am trying to replace the 4GB HDD in my dad's old ThinkPad 380z with a new 20GB HDD. I am trying to use True Image to copy everything on the old HDD to the new one so that I can try booting it up. I selected Disk Clone because that seemed to fit my needs, but am now stuck. The program got me to the point where it tells me the new destination drive has existing partitions (I assume from the formatting) and asks if I want Acronis to delete them. I select "Delete partitions on the destination hard drisk", click on next, the program gives me a "processing" pop-up, and then brings me back to the same screen. Am I missing something? Is there a better way to copy everything over? My parents of course can't find their Windows 98 CDs, so I have to copy from the old drive in order to get them an operating system.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello quinncx,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update and try to perform the disk cloning process both from under Windows and when booted from special Bootable Rescue CD.

If the problem still persists after installing the update then please make a screen shots of each step you take while trying to clone the hard drive and send them to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. quinncx

I think the old HDD is just having issues. Using Acronis True Image, is it possible to pull the old 4GB HDD, plug it into a USB enclosure connected to a different laptop, load up the drive contents to a directory on the other laptop, then connect up the new 20GB HDD and transfer everything over so that I can boot from it?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello quinncx,

Please note that there are only to ways to transfer the data from one hard drive to another using Acronis True Image 8.0:

- Clone hard drive;

Both hard drives should be connected to the one machine in this case.

- Create an image of the old hard drive and then restore it to the new one.

Please read more on how to perform these actions in Acronis True Image 8.0 User's Guide.

Could you please clarify what do you mean when saying that the old hard drive seems to have some issues?

What exact issues?

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. quinncx

alexey,
    The drive is an old 4GB drive that has only 100mb free at the moment which I suspect makes it slower than it needs to be. Everything I do on that computer takes time, and sometimes it freezes (which I think is part of the problem with the Acronis). I just thought it might be easier to take advantage of the speed of my computer to handle the transfer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.