Cloning Old IDE HDD to new SATA HDD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mikedej, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikedej

mikedej Registered Member

I have just cloned my 80gB IDE HDD to my new 250gB SATA HDD. This was apparently successful, but there is no extra free space on the new disk, ie the old disk had 74.5gB total space, and 9.09 gB free space and the new disk has exactly the same. I've lost 175 gB disk space somewhere and I don' know how to recover it. Also, although my old disk is still physically present, Windows XP Home only recognises 1 disk.

Any clues, please?

2. MerlinAZ

MerlinAZ Registered Member

Right-click "My Computer" and click "Manage."
    Click on "Disk Management"
    Look at your SATA drive. You will probably see the rest of the space as unallocated.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mikedej,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that during the clone procedure (in the manual mode) you are able to select the method of partition and data transfer:

- as is
    - new disk space is proportionally distributed between the old disk partitions
    - new disk space is distributed manually

If you select to transfer information "as is," a new partition will be created for every old one with the same size and type, file system and label. The unused space will become unallocated. Further, you will be able to use the unallocated space to create new partitions or to enlarge the existing partitions with special tools, such as Acronis Disk Director Suite.

If you transfer data proportionally, each partition will be enlarged, according to the proportion of the old and new disk capacities.

Please explain your step-by-step actions which you took to clone the hard drive. Please also clarify which hard drive source or destination is now not recognized in Windows. Please create a screenshot of Disk Management (Start->Run->compmgmt.msc). Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the issue and try to provide you with the solution.

Please note that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.