Cloning laptop disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mlowry1260, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlowry1260

mlowry1260 Registered Member

I've purchased True Image 8.0 & Disk Director 9.0. I have a GW laptop (XP Pro) with a 40 MB HD & a new 80 GB Travelstar HD. I've imaged the 40 onto the 80 MB HD & choose active partition. When I try to boot the new 80 HD, I just a blank screen & a flashing cursor.

I've looked at boot.ini, it's set as multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)

Where do I look next?

Mark

2. mlowry1260

Now at bootup, on my original HD, I sse a message MBRerror3.

Anyone?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mlowry1260,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software and Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Do you have Acronis OS Selector? Could you please do the following?

- Download the Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the 'report.txt' file from the floppy disk to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate your problem and help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

4. mlowry1260

Irina,

how long do you typically have to wait for support to response when you send a drive report?

thanks,

Mark

5. Acronis Support

Hello Mark,

You will receive the answer within 48 hours from the moment when you received the autoreply to the letter. If you didn't get any response during that time please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply. I will find out the reason for the delay.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. mlowry1260

I've repaired my mbrerror 3 and re-run the true image cloning program. I'm still getting the same result on my new drive, black screen & flashing cursor and no bootup. Where do I go from here?

As a test I ran the recovery cd that came with the laptop & the drive boots just fine. Whoever, this doesn't help me to retain all the settings of the original drive & it's contents.

Mark

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  7. Acronis Support

Hello mlowry1260,

Please do the following:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;

- Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;

- Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;

- Perform the disk cloning once more;

- Unplug the destination hard drive right after the disk cloning process has been finished;

- Boot the computer from the diskette created earlier using Acronis Report utility and wait for report creation process to finish;

- Collect the report file from the floppy;

- Unplug the source drive and connect the destination one;

- Create Acronis Report once more;

- Rename the report created with only the source drive connected to report_source.txt and the report created with only the destination drive connected to report_destination.txt.

Send these reports to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

If you will not receive any response from Acronis Support Team within 48 hours please let me know, I will find the reason of the delay.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.