Cloning is not working?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by digitalkid2, Dec 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digitalkid2

digitalkid2 Registered Member

I want to clone my C: drive to an empty (fully formatted) hard drive that is connected to my pc via USB 2.0. I also do not want to remove my old (source drive) at this time, so I want to keep the data on it. I just want a cloned drive that I can set aside for an emergency.

The problem is that after manually choosing the cloning options and clicking 'proceed' the system immediately reboots and then tells me 'congratulations' that the clone was successful. Unfortunately only about 45secs has transpired and according the 'destination' HDD there is nothing on it.

Also, True Image thinks there is a partition on the destination disk and there isn't one.

Any ideas?

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

If you are not using the latest version and build (9/2302) you will be advised to do so by Acronis Support. If you are, are you doing this via the rescue CD or from within windows?

3. digitalkid2

I am using the latest TI9 version (2302) and I am doing it from within windows. I specifically purchased TI9 for cloning. My current HDD is setup just exactly the way I want it and I have a spare 80Gb drive that I want to clone my HDD to.

Based on a search of this forum on cloning, it seems that others are having the same or very similar problems with TI9 2302.

I wish now that I had looked through this forum BEFORE I purchased TI9.

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

You have two options:
    1. Create the rescue CD and try the cloning with it. Or ..
    2. Since you only want a backup of your present drive and do not intend to use the cloned drive, instead of cloning try making an image backup and save that on to the 80Gb drive. The image backup will do essentially the same as cloning, except the image backup on the 80 gig will not be a bootable item. But you can restore that image when needed and get an identically bootable drive as you have now.

5. digitalkid2

Chutsman,

Thanks for the input. I just completed your second suggestion and as far I as I can tell it went ok. I made a bootable CD and then made an image of my C: drive on another drive. If I get time I will do a dry run to be sure it really works.

digitalkid2

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello digitalkid2,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

1. As for the problem with disk cloning, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also collect the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

Please keep your external USB hard drive connected while creating Acronis Report and Windows System Information.

- Try to perform the disk cloning process when booted from Bootable Rescue CD (created using build 2302 of Acronis True Image 9.0) and see the result;

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

2. Regarding the difference between the Backup and Clone Disk approaches, please note that Clone Disk approach is usually used to upgrade the hard drive (e.g. install a larger disk), while Backup approach is basically dedicated for the complete data backup and disaster recovery purposes. Since you are interested in backing up your hard drive for the disaster recovery purposes, I would recommend you to follow Backup approach.

Please also take a look at this FAQ article describing the issue in more details.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

7. digitalkid2

Acronis Support,

I installed the latest drivers and that did not work. I was able to successfully clone my hard drive using the bootable CD.

I will complete your data requests over the next day or so.

Thank you for responding and for the suggestions.

digitalkid2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.