Cloning and XP activation

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by John Dalton, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Dalton

John Dalton Registered Member

I cloned my XP HE/SP2 HD on 26 February this year and it has occurred to me to wonder what is the position regarding re-activation. I've just been browsing the MS site and read the following:

One of the forms of piracy that Product Activation guards against is hard disk cloning. Not all forms of hard disk cloning are illegal. However, by comparing the hardware hash originally activated to the current hardware hash, hard disk cloning can be deterred by requiring re-activation if the hardware hashes are substantially different.

So, what is the position when you clone an XP-containing disk? I haven't seen any comments on this forum and I couldn't find anything on the subject in the manual, so I'm assuming that it's not a problem. Is this correct?

2. wjal

wjal Registered Member

As long as you are restoring to the same machine that the image was created on, there are no issues. If you have replaced some hardware, it may be necessary to follow the phone call procedure, but even this is easily done in under 5 minutes. If you are just replacing a harddisk, it won't be necessary but it depends on how many hardware changes you have made in the last 120 days.

3. John Dalton

John Dalton Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I've installed a second HD, expanded my RAM and installed a USB 2.0 card, but all more than 120 days before the cloning.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Would that phone call be a local call in any country?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.