cloning a raid 5 array...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cydian, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cydian

cydian Guest

Can I
    Clone a raid 5 array (SCSI DRIVES) and restore it to a single iDE drive (Windows 2000 server)
    or
    can I restore it to another raid 5

if I can, will I need the scsi drivers?
    thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cydian,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, it should be said that Acronis True Image 9.0 does not support server operating systems. If you have a server operating system, please use Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows.

Please note that there are two approaches available:

Clone Disk - moves the entire contents of one disk drive to another;

Backup - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes;

Please read more in this FAQ article.

Actually, Clone Disk approach is usually used to upgrade the hard drive (e.g. install a larger disk), while Create Image approach is basically dedicated for the complete data backup and disaster recovery purposes.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Yes, you can. When Acronis True Image/Server is running under Windows, then it works with all the hard disk drivers detected by the operating system. If Acronis True Image/Server is running in rescue mode (e.g. to restore the system partition), then the following RAID controllers are supported:

- P-ATA (IDE) RAID controllers (Promise, Highpoint)
    - All levels (RAID 0,1,2,3,4,5) of most of SCSI RAID controllers (Adaptec, Dell, LSI and others)
    - SATA RAID controllers (Highpoint, Intel, Promise, Silicon Image)

Some RAID controllers may be supported as well (the ones that have not been tested yet) and the others will be supported with the future updates.
    It should be mentioned also that the program will detect your RAID array as a single drive.

You do not need to use the SCSI drives to clone your RAID 5 to IDE hard drive.
    Please be aware that in order to clone your Windows system to different hardware, you should first prepare Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep). Please take a look at this FAQ.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase Acronis products.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.