Cloning a HDD to another PC

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Earlstreetblue, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earlstreetblue

Earlstreetblue Registered Member

I am about to get rid of my old PC, already have my new one ready. Is it possible to create a clone of my old drive and install it onto my new PC's drive?

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

It is by using Universal Restore. But why carry over all the junk that accumulates in the Registry over time. Better to start afresh and just copy over your documents and other data. Did the new pc come with its own OS or is this a home brew job?

3. Earlstreetblue

Earlstreetblue Registered Member

Yes I know, normally I would, but it hasn't been that long since I did it last.

Both PC's have XP Professional installed. So it would seem I need the Workstation version then, in order to do this?

4. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Workstation? I'm not sure since I don't use Universal Restore. I think UR is an add-on and should be able to be added on to the standard Home version of TI but I may be wrong. Check the Acronis website for info. on UR.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Earlstreetblue,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that though you can perform the cloning to a new computer, the resulting system will most likely be unbootable. The reason for that is in too different hardware environment Windows will not have the necessary drivers to initiate boot sequence. The solution for that is, as Ralphie noticed, is Acronis Universal Restore. It is an add-on for Acronis True Image specifically designed for transferring the system to a new hardware. However, it cannot be used with home series of Acronis True Image. The version suitable for your needs (which allows to install Acronis Universal Restore) would be Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation.

We recommend you to submit a request to Acronis Support to receive the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation with Acronis Universal Restore add-on to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the windows version for a period of 15 days. The standalone version (bootable media) will have only restore function available.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation (along with Acronis Universal Restore) in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product. Please notice that Acronis Universal Restore add-on needs to be purchased separately.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.