Cloning a HD problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ronl, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronl

Ronl Registered Member

I am using a cloned 160 gb sata hd as my primary drive and decided to get a second sata drive which is 250 gb.

TI 9, ver 3633 showed disk1 as 149.1 gb, disk2 showed as 232.9 gb.

I booted from the rescue disk and cloned the new disk using manual setting. When I got to the as is or proportional, manual size settings, the new drive showed as 149 gb and 83.84 gb unallocated. I tried all settings to no avail and could not slide or adjust the size using manual, so I used proportional hoping that it would be corrected during the cloning process.

The new cloned drive works fine but it shows up as a 149 gb drive instead of the 250 gb I installed.

Can somebody tell me what I did wrong, and can I re-clone over the drive to correct the size error?

Ron

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Ron,

I'm not sure what went wrong during your clone. However you can recover the unallocated space on the new drive as follows:

- Use the Manage Acronis SecureZone Wizard to create a temporary Secure Zone (SZ) in the unallocated space.
    - Once the SZ has been created, use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard again to remove the SZ and assign the used space to your 149.1GB (C: ?) partition.
    - Reboot your system and you should now find all 250GB being used.

Regards

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ron,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please follow the instructions of Menorcaman in order to add an unallocated space to the partition.

If the problem still persists, please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

4. djxtreme

djxtreme Registered Member

The Acronis response did not say WHY some partitions cannot be resized. I too have the same problem. I am at this moment attempting to clone a partition using TI Home version 9.0 build 3.633.

On the first drive as well as the drive being cloned, drive C: is identified as the primary drive. But there is a red circle with a white X in it, located in the gold colored bar above the partition information (Disk Clone Wizard - Hard Disk Drives Structures).

What does that X mean? Why can't the partition be resized on the destination drive (new drive of 3x capacity as source drive)?

I understand that some extra things can be done to recover the space if I go ahead as it is setup in disk clone wizard, however I would much rather do it right the first time and not have to mess around with it later.

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The white cross in the red circle is not good news. It indicates an error condition of some kind. I have only had it happen once and while it was present i could write to the disk but could not read from it.
    I have not being following this thread in detail but if you can retrace your steps and start again hopefully the error will be cleared. There are probably other ways to correct the disk condition but the only way that worked for me was to re-format the affected disk.

Xpilot

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

A quick test would be to run CHKDSK on this drive. If it closes without running to completion that would confirm that the disk needs sorting out.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.