Cloned HD boot-up issue

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by stingray57, Dec 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stingray57

stingray57 Registered Member

I completed the cloning process via a master / slave option for a new hard drive, all seem to go fine.
    Now when I swap the HD, the new cloned drive can not detect the operating system.
    I am running Microsoft Windows XP Media center edition version 2002 service pack 2
    The new hard drive is a Seagate barracuda 250GB.

I can see all the cloned files if I leave the drive set up as master / slave, as ther were when I cloned the new drive.

Any Ideas on why this is occuring?

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Sounds like an MBR issue ... search the forums for messages relating to MBR. I think you have to run a fixmbr command, but the details I do not know.

3. RetiredBri

RetiredBri Registered Member

Hello stingray57
    Some questions:

1 Were both the drives internal?
    2 Did you fit the new drive and then boot with Windows so that Widows recognised the drive or did you fit it and then only boot from the TI9 boot disk so that TI9 (running outside of Windows) was the only programme to ever see the new disk.

3 Did you clone using TI9 running in Widows (as instructed in User Guide Chap. 7) or did you use the TI9 boot disk and follow Chap 7 instructions while TI9 was running in a stand alone condition ie Widows was not running?

4 Having cloned the new disc, did you remove the old one and make the new one the master before you booted to Windows (ie so there was only ever one drive in the system for Windows to see)

Just wanted to understand the process, I'm yet to clone mine and am very concerned about ruining my existing good drive.
    Some posts indicate MBR problems if you run TI9 under windows or problems if Windows has seen your new disc before you clone.

Regards
    RetiredBri

4. noonie

noonie Registered Member

That is the key to a successful clone. You original drive should not be changed in this situation.

5. Chutsman

Another thing I have found when cloning is that when there is a huge difference in size between the orig. and the new drive, in my experience, I run into problems. What was the size of your original drive?

I have found it better to make an image of the old drive then Restore that image to the new drive using the TI boot CD - this way, size does not matter. :D

6. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

As noonie said step 4 is key ....

7. RetiredBri

RetiredBri Registered Member

Hi nooie and starfish_001
    Answer from noonie
    Now I'm confused - I understood that after you finish cloning you must remove your original drive from the system and make the new drive the master so that when Windows boots, there is only your new cloned drive in the system.

You seem to be saying "You original drive should not be changed"

What exactly is the right way?

Regards
    RetiredBri

8. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

1) Clone the original drive.
    2) Shut down completely - do not restart after cloning.
    3) Remove the original drive. Set the clone as master (if necessary).
    4) Restart.

9. Chutsman

If you are getting the "ntldr missing" error, then your original drive must have been much smaller than the new Seagate. I've run into problems trying to clone drives that were greatly different in size. If this is the case, try making an image instead of a clone - you will need a third device to store the image. Then use the bootable TI CD to restore the image to the Seagate. I know it is a few extra steps, but it will work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.