"Clone" to new laptop?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by whalepirot, May 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whalepirot

whalepirot Guest

I just bought TI 8, build 826, to clone (is that the right word) to a new laptop, from another, malfunctioning (charging capability, only) one. This lapop runs some specialized programs or office equipment that is hard o get proper support or; hence, my need to have a complete and total replacment laptop, vitually identical to the old. The old is an HP; the new is an Averatec, both with CDRWs, plus the new has a larger HD.

I am confused, reading the manual, as to the exact steps I need to take, plus the language pertaining to this is minimal, but the primary reason I bought Acronis over any others.

The old laptop is being returned and will not run on my LAN once this 'cloning' is completed.

Is there a thread that I can go to that lays this out for me, simply?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. iflyprivate

iflyprivate Registered Member

I don't think you can clone over a network with TI8 build 826. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

What it sounds like you want to do is extract info from a failing machine and save it to another over your network. That isn't what most consider cloning.

In any event, you can't use TI8 (or any other utility I know of) to clone directly from one laptop drive to another while both drives are in the respective machines.

You might want to create a complete disk image of your failing hard drive and save it to an external hard drive, CD's or to another computer on your network. Later, you could mount the image as a virtual disk and extract files from it to copy to your new hard drive. Is this helpful?

3. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Hi whalepirot,

as iflyprivate writes, cloning requires both the old and the new drive to be connect to the PC.

Now, if I understand you correctly, you can install True Image on the old laptop, right? Start True Image on the old PC, and create an image of the old HD. You need a place to store the image. It is possible to create the image directly to CD's, but if you can I would recommend that you use the network and write the image to a file server somewhere on the LAN.

If possible, do all this from the bootable True Image CD and not from Windows.

Next, when you have the image on the server, boot the new laptop from the True Image CD and restore the image (from the server) onto the new HD.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.