clone system partition as rescue system

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by walt, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walt

walt Registered Member

According to the User Guide (that is my understanding) when I clone a hard disk to another one, I have to replace the old hard disk by the new one.

However I would like to use both, old and new, beeing able to select one or the other when booting. The idea is to continue to work with the old one and having the new one (which I will have to synchronize regularly) as a rescue system.

How can I do this?

Walt

2. Jimcav

Jimcav Guest

I do the same with my computers when migrating from one installation to another, or as insurance against a hard drive crash. I've always just used the BIOS to select which drive to boot. All the motherboards I've used have some way to select which bootable drive it used. With some of the old ones I had to disable one drive in the BIOS and the other booted by default. The newer ones have a simpler boot field where I can select which drive is the boot drive while leaving the other(s) still enabled and visible from within Windows if I want to leave them there. Otherwise, it's simple to disable the second drive from within Windows so you can't accidentally change it.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Walt,
    Hello Jimcav,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

Jimcav is completely right. You can keep the old drive in the computer along with the new one and select the boot device in your BIOS.

Thank you.

4. walt

walt Registered Member

Instead of selecting the boot drive in the BIOS is ist possible to do this with a multiboot system under Windows XP (adding the new drive to the boot.ini)?

Walt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.