Clone successful. Unable to recover from new hard drive though

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by heavyhev, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heavyhev

heavyhev Registered Member

I'm replacing my the hard drive in my laptop going from a 40g to 120g hard drive. I believe I might have left out a crucial step somewhere which is keeping me from recovering the clone image from the new disk.

I placed the new hd in an enclosure and used True Image 11 to clone the original drive to the new hd. At this point I wonder if I should have created a backup to aid in recovery. The recovery process asks for a .tib file and I don't have one. The cloning process seems successful as I can see the files on the new drive using the restore wizard but again I don't have any .tib file and the computer doesn't boot from it as it can't find the operating system. I have been reading posts on the forum for much of the day and have not found any similar issue to mine. I think I am very close to a successful recovery just too much of an novice at this point to nip it in the bud.

From my readings, I have thought about putting my old hard drive in the enclosure and proceeding to cloning to the new hard drive installed. However, I am tired of probing and want to get this done the right way. There is a lot of information about recovery from a backup and I have not seen anything about recovery from cloning. Hopefully this is a newbie mishap and not a idiotic mistake. I am going to give it a break and allow time for replies before attempting clone number two as I mentioned above. Help!!!!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

3. heavyhev

I believe you are correct I just found Grover's Manual Mode Cloning PDF and will take a moment to read this and go about carrying out the "reverse cloning" procedure. Thanks for you assistance as well as Grover for his indirect help. I will post my results.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You are confusing the terms Acronis uses. If you did a Clone, there is no .tib file involved, and no Restore process is needed.

The .tib file is created when you use the Backup feature and once this is made, you then use the Recovery feature to restore the .tib file.

However, try this way (called a Reverse Clone). Put the new drive in the laptop and the original in the usb enclosure. Then boot with the True Image Rescue Media cd (make one if you haven't already done so from the installed True Image software) and use the Clone feature to clone from the usb drive to the new drive which is now in the laptop.

5. heavyhev

I really didn't think that I needed any .tib files but in my state of mind after reading several posts made we wonder if I really needed them. I already have a boot disk and the disk drives in the reversed position. After booting from the boot disk and inserting the USB cable for the enclosure hd containing the source disk, it is not being recognized. It only seeing the the destination disk which has the earlier cloned image on it. I have received warning that I only have one disk. When the enclosure was plugged the "busy" light flickered but the hard drive itself was parked and not working. How do I find this drive using the boot CD?

6. DwnNdrty

You must have the external drive connected to the laptop before booting with the boot cd. If that does not work then it is because the boot cd, which uses Linux as its OS, does not have drivers that would enable it to recognize the chipset of the external enclosure. A workaround is to create a BartPE cd that has the True Image plugin. There's a whole thread devoted to making this cd.

7. heavyhev

I downloaded the steps to create the CD last night. Should this disk be created on the actual computer that will be used or could I use another computer that I have up and running. I am fairly sure that it needs to be done on the actual computer but wanted to see if by chance this could be done so that I don't have to swap the hard drives around to be able to boot from the original hard drive. My guess is that if it could be done on other computers, there would probably be a downloadable version instead of what seems to be a somewhat overwhelming procedure for newbies, let alone stressed newbies at that.o_O

8. tuttle

tuttle Guest

Which disk? Are you asking about the Acronis True Image Recovery CD? If so, it doesn't matter what computer you create it on. You may create the Recovery CD on one PC, and use it on another.

9. heavyhev

Sorry about not being clear, I am talking about the BartPE cd. The computer I am upgrading the hard drive in is in an unbootable state with the new hard drive installed. In order to make the BartPE cd I am assuming it would be best practice to make that disk on the actual computer being upgraded.

10. heavyhev

BartPE to yet another rescue. Older laptop so only have 1.1 USB so the cloning process will take a while but it is under way. Acronis needs to be up front about the "CHS" geometry problem and the need for reverse cloning on some laptops. There probably even needs to be a "sticky" to users of laptops that have issues with the "CHS" geometry problem. Thanks for those that have replied as they have been indeed very helpful and resourceful. :cool:

11. DwnNdrty

The BartPE (with the True Image plug-in) can be made on any computer.

12. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Okay DwnNdrty, this is were I get confused. It seems to me that when I created my BartPe( sometime ago) I had to include the serial number for TI from a registry key after TI was installed on the computer.
    Is there a way around this? For instance can the serial number, that is recieved from Acronis be added? If so this would have made things much easier for me, I could have gone to a friend's, who has DSL, in "the big city" and created my BartPe/VistaPe there. ( I have dial-up) and simply have added the serial number. I was under the impression that the registry key "serial no." was different then the actual serial number. I hope that this is the case!

13. DwnNdrty

I don't remember the exact details (my Forgetter keeps getting better :D ) as it was a while ago that I made my BartPE - with the TI plugin - and it was version 9 of TI that I used. Also I didn't use the method detailed in the ongoing thread here for making it. Someone else posted a very concise way to make this cd over a year ago maybe. I don't see the person on the forum anymore.

But read message #8 in this thread and see if it helps:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=207466&highlight=rename Tixp

14. DwnNdrty

15. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Send us a final note to let us know if the reverse clone boots properly.

16. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Thanks DwnNdrty, for all your work but, alas now I really feel dumb!! I just can't see how a BartPe/VistaPe can be made without TI installed.
    When I made the both BartPe and VistaPe I seem to remember that I had to copy and paste a registry key, ( something to do with the serial Number) before they would work. Is this true? If so how does one get the registry key added to the BartPe/VistaPe without installing TI first? I have to admit that I was really unsure whether I had the "smarts" to make a BartPe disk and I felt I was under a lot of stress, so maybe I am remembering wrong. If so please forgive this "old fart".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.