clone /sectror by sector

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tomgomes, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomgomes

tomgomes Registered Member

Hi
    The user´s guide says: The backup my Computer stores a sector-by-sector snapshot of the disk, which includes the operating system, registry, drivers, software applications and data files, as well as system areas hidden from the user.
    This procedure is called “creating a disk image,” and the resulting backup archive is often
    called a disk/partition image.

Then I would ask you: If I use this tool I will get the same result from copy the system with clone tool? Would be possible restore the OS using the backup my Computer sector-by-sector snapshot of the disk?

2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

A image backup of "my computer" is an exact copy of that partition. An "image backup" of a "bootable" partition, will be "bootable" when restored.

That's all I ever do with true image. I just do an image backup of my c: drive. Everytime I restored it, it always works. The resulting backup is stored inside a compressed "TIB" file which you can save anywhere.

3. martygene

martygene Registered Member

[A image backup of "my computer" is an exact copy of that partition. An "image backup" of a "bootable" partition, will be "bootable" when restored.

That's all I ever do with true image. I just do an image backup of my c: drive. Everytime I restored it, it always works. The resulting backup is stored inside a compressed "TIB" file which you can save anywhere.]

does this mean that if i do an image backup of my c: drive like you say here that it will have everything i need to put onto another harddrive and be up and running if my current harddrive fails? i have made this type of backup before but never tried to put it onto another harddrive to see if it works. and if so could you tell me how to go about doing thato_O thanks so much.
    gene

4. The ESL Teacher

The ESL Teacher Registered Member

Instructions are within the program on how to do just that: a wizard.

5. tomgomes

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If you've never done a restore before I recommend you do it to a spare HD in case it fails since TI will have deleted the partition it is about to restore. The rescue CD is Linux, not Windows, so it may not have good drivers for your hardware.

If you don't want to use a spare HD, then boot up the rescue CD and validate the archive. If this does not work do not attempt a restore since it will very likely fail.

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

and search for any message by groverh and check out the links to handy guides at the bottom of his signature.

8. coppertrail

coppertrail Registered Member

When I first bought TI about 3 years ago, I immediately created an image of my C volume.

The next day, I experienced a serious Windows corruption and was unable to get the OS to boot.

I restored the image I'd created the day before to my C volume, and everything was restored as it was at the point I made the image: Files, folders, settings, etc. Luckily, my Data volume wasn't affected, so that was still in tact.

I figure I saved about 12 hrs. worth of work by taking 10 min to create that image.

I consider TI insurance against lost data, and very importantly, time.

My point is, yes, your system will be restored to the exact state it was when you created the image, no installing windows, programs, settings, etc. It's a real life saver when you need it.

9. tomgomes

coppertrail, you says: restored the image I'd created the day before to my C volume, and everything was restored as it was at the point I made the image.

I ask you. This restored image was bacukped where? In what locale?

10. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Storage location can be an external disk; a network drive;another internal disk; a usb stick--even a DVD although using multiple DVD can be difficult to impossible.

The location is acceptable as long as TI Rescue CD can find the *.tib backup file inside the designated storage location. You can practice a simulated backup or restore when booted from the TI Rescue CD to see if your storage drive is seen within the Rescue CD.

The *.tib backup file should not be stored on the same partition as the system partition.

11. tomgomes

remember:The *.tib backup file should not be stored on the same partition as the system partition.
    then, if I use two OS like Win XP Pro, one in the C: and the other in E: is it possible backuped sector-by-sector of the OS locate in C: in E: partition?

12. coppertrail

coppertrail Registered Member

Hi Tom - I don't use the application within Windows to create my images, rather, I use the Rescue CD to create images. I create the images on a network share. When I need to do a restore, I use the Rescue CD and restore the tib file from the network share.

13. tomgomes

ok coppertrail
    I already do it too. In the network the image backupe on other PC. Thank you.

remember:The *.tib backup file should not be stored on the same partition as the system partition.

I would to know if I use two OS like Win XP Pro, one in the C: and the other in E: is it possible backuped sector-by-sector of the OS locate in C: in E: partition?

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tomgomes,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

You are able to place the sector-by-sector backup file to another partition where another operating system is located. You shouldn't save the archive to the same partition that you backup.

Thank you.

--

Oleg Lee

15. tomgomes

I have a PC problem. I run two wproSp3 in a PC that has three partitions C: E: and F: (F:is empty but already captured 2/3 of the HDD).
    The program to resize partitions warning:"Partition's the letter could not be identified".
    I restored the acronis full backup of this three partitions, before the problem "Partition's the letter could not be identified".

The third partition was empty but in the last restore of the full backup that I made, one third OS WINXP self installed there. I already format it and now this third partition is empty again and is one primary partition. I do this in the administrative tools//computer management/disk management.

Then I am in need too resize the partitions, but the program that make the resize didn't want open. Open a window warning :
    "Partition's the letter could not be identified".

Now, if I boot the OS to the bootable partition E: all the drive letter change, but with other configuration, different that if I boot for C: partition. (C: changed to E: and E: changed to F

This partitions I can see in administrative tools//computer management/disk management.

The program that resize the HDD, when it is running in DOS, inform: - Partition Table error #106 found.

I would like to restore the acronis full backup of this three partitions, to the problem "Partition's the letter could not be identified" finish.

But I don't know what to do. Would be a crash?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  16. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tomgomes,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Please look here for more information.

Thank you.

--

Oleg Lee

17. tomgomes

Really I used one boot cd to format the HDD and then a restore the backup sector -by-sector that had three partitions. After this I did edit the boot.ini. At this time all was good and perform well.
    Thank you

18. alan_b

alan_b Registered Member

I had perfect results by NOT checking the box for sector-by-sector.
    The hard drive was replaced and empty
    The Acronis BootCD previously created then restored the image,
    and I immediately had a perfectly working C:\ on my new HDD.

All the new files were perfectly defragmented as a result of the restore from an image that was NOT sector-by-sector.
    Additionally, the new C:\ partition was created to be the new size I wanted.

I am sure that had the image been sector-by-sector :-
    The image would have been much larger;
    It would have taken longer to create and store;
    It would have taken longer to restore;
    The restored files would have been fragmented as they were on the old drive.

I also strongly suspect a sector-by-sector image would not restore to a smaller partition.

Regards
    Alan

19. tomgomes

I agree with you.
    and you says: I also strongly suspect a sector-by-sector image would not restore to a smaller partition.

I suspect too.

But in my case that now I have four partitions and two OS is important preserve the amount of each partition to avoid unused spase of the one OS partition became very small. Then I check sector-by-sector.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.