"Clone" only selected partitions ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Paul Sweeney, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney Registered Member

Is there any way I can select a subset of partitions on my source disk and do a disk-to-disk "clone" with True Image v8.

Yes I know the 2nd disk won't strictly be a "clone" ;) , but one of my partitions is just for downloaded junk which I am happy not to backup. My backup HDs are 60 GB as opposed to my 80GB main drive, and I want a backup HD which is ready to plug-and-go, without the need to do a restore first.

Many thanks for your help.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We regret to inform you that Acronis True Image allows you to clone only the whole disk, not single partitions.

As a workaround you may clone the disk, format the unnecessary partitions and increase the size of the remaining partitions with some partitioning tool like Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/).

Another way is to create the image of necessary partitions and restore them to the other disk. After you do that please make sure you are able to boot the new disk without any problems.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Paul Sweeney

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately this makes the product useless for my needs. :(

IMHO this is a huge failing of the product. How likely is it that your developers will add this feature in the near future? - I can't believe this is a hard option to support, since as you say all the functionality is there - if an image with less partitions can be created and then restored to a blank disk, why cant selected partitions just be copied from the source disk?

I've no wish to double my workload (and require an extra temporary disk) in order to image and then restore back again to my backup disk.

Please explain how I can return the product to you for a refund.

4. Acronis Support

Hello Paul,

If you want to copy several partitions with data (not operational system) you may use Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0. Please contact support@acronis.com for further information.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Paul Sweeney

Well that response didnt answer my question at all I'm afraid:

I've also tried to contact Acronis support via email, but I receive no reply.

By only allowing the option to select partitions in image mode and not disk clone mode, (or at least not without using 2 extra hard disks and 2 Acronis products), I believe it is not fit for purpose.

So again, please explain how I can return the product to you for a refund.

Many thanks

Paul Sweeney

6. Acronis Support

Hello Paul,

Please send me PM with your Acronis request # which was sent you in autoreply. The only way to ask for refund is to contact Acronis Support Team via e-mail.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.