Clone Only 1 of 2 Partitions?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by micnite, Jul 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micnite

micnite Registered Member

Hello,

I am currently using Windows Media Center Edition. My cpu came partitioned so the C: drive had 15gb on it and the D: drive had 135gb on it.

I would like to clone only the C: drive onto a larger drive and use this as my boot drive. Can True Image clone only one of the two partitions or can it only clone both since they are on the same physical drive?

Any help would be appreciated before I purchase the software.

Thanks.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello micnite,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We regret to inform you that Acronis True Image is able to clone only hard drives as a whole. However, you can create the image of C: partition and restore it to the new drive. You may need to fix MBR on the new drive after that using Windows Installation CD or following one of the methods described at Acronis Help Post.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

As Ilya said, you can only clone a whole disk with Acronis True Image. However, you can copy a single partition with Acronis Disk Director Suite so that is probably what you should be looking at.

4. micnite

micnite Registered Member

Thank you both for the reply. I am going to look into Disk Director...thanks!

5. Acronis Support

6. Beach

Beach Registered Member

We regret to inform you that Acronis True Image is able to clone only hard drives as a whole. However, you can create the image of C: partition and restore it to the new drive.
    Ilya

Ilya--
    So if you have a drive lets say 200 gigs, and the C: is the system drive, and the other 4 partitions are data which are backed up to a storage server, you can not just image the C:??
    I have a server that I want to just image the C: because the other partitions are backed up to a storage server. Thanks.

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Hold on! Ilya said you can only CLONE whole drives. You can IMAGE one, two or all of the partitions on a drive. Cloning makes a second drive like the first - a Clone. Imaging makes an image that you can store and Explore or Restore whenever and as often as you want. They are very different processes.

8. artisan

artisan Guest

Ilya:
    This is a major deficiency of ATI which I hope will be rectified in a future release. As I'm sure you're aware, Symantec's Norton Ghost has this capability, i.e., the program can *directly* clone individual partitions of the source disk to the destination one, and it would be a most desirable feature to incorporate in the Acronis program.
    artisan

9. Acronis Support

Hello artisan,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that you can perform the copying of a single partition either using Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 or by creating and restoring the image of separate partition using Acronis True Image. In the latter variant you get a backup of the partition that may be useful in future. The option of direct cloning of separate partitions is in our Enhancement List, however.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. naveen

naveen Guest

I am currently using Windows Media Center Edition. My cpu came partitioned so the C: drive had 15gb on it and the D: drive had 135gb on it.

I would like to clone only the C: drive onto a larger drive and use this as my boot drive. Can True Image clone only one of the two partitions or can it only clone both since they are on the same physical drive?

Any help would be appreciated before I purchase the software.

Thanks.

11. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

You can only clone a complete disk not selective partitions. However, you can clone the disk and then delete any unwanted partitions from the target drive.

12. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Or make an image of ONLY the C partition and restore it on the other drive.

13. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

The only problem with imaging only the C: partition is that the disk will not be bootable after restoring. You have to image the whole drive (and restore the whole drive), even if there is only a single partition on the drive for the drive to be bootable after restore.

14. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Hmmm .... I wonder if that could be changed in the software so it would be possible to image just the C partition and be able to put it on another drive which will boot successfully ... just thinking out loud. :D

15. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

I guess it could be done if Acronis wanted to include that as an option. However, they have a product called Acronis Disk Director Suite and they may not want to have too much overlap between the products. The ideal solution for the user community would be to have a single product that incorporated the capability of True Image and Disk Director Suite in a single package. That approach may not be what Acronis wants from a strategic point of view but maybe it will be forced down that route if there is competition from other products.

16. Acronis Support

Hello all,

I agree that the option of imaging/restoring a single bootable system partition is very important. We have this feature in our Enhancement List and will implement it in future.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

17. soons

soons Guest

Hi, I have a 120 gb drive now partitioned into c: and d: drives. I'd like to replace with a 160 gb drive and use the new drive for c: and the old 120 for d: Should I use my True Image to clone my old drive to the new drive and delete the d: partition and then delete the c: partition on the old drive? What is the best way to do this? Can I use Win xp to delete the partition or do I need to use Fdisk? Will the new drive boot that way? Also, if I delete the boot partition (c:) from the old drive, will it still work ok as d: drive? Sorry if this is confusing, but since reading the above post about not being able to just restore my c: image on to the new drive with it not being able to boot, I'm really confused.

Thanks,
    soons

18. soons

soons Guest

Sorry, I left out one question. After deleting the partition, can I somehow resize the remaining one on each disk with True Image?

Thanks

19. Acronis Support

Hello soons,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, you may clone the old drive to the new one and then delete one partition on each of them. However, it is not possible to resize the partitions so that they occupy all the drive because all the partitions are cloned. If you need to resize partitions you may use our powerful software Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0. It will allow you to perform almost any actions with the partitions on the hard drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

20. Beach

Beach Registered Member

If you HAVE to copy the entire disk, why does ATI even give you the option to Mirror either C:, or D:, or E: ecto_O Why wouldn't it just give the option to mirror the entire disk??

21. Acronis Support

22. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

The new build 3567 of True Image 9.0 (now True Image Home 9.0) includes the MBR in the image even if you backup C: partition only (or any single partition).

This new feature should enable the user to restore to a new drive from an image of C: only and make the new drive bootable.

At least this is how I understand the purpouse of this new feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.