clone failed system locked up!?!?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by matt832, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt832

matt832 Registered Member

My 28G HD was getting a bit full so I decided to Clone it to a 120G HD using Acronis 7.0. During the clone I got an error message about a bad segment on one of the partitions and after I told it to ignore I got an error about the NTSC file system then a congratulations message --your clone is complete. Of course it was not. It rebooted and the system just kept rebooting, XP screen came up went black, flash to BSOD and reboot. I was able to boot into my Win 2000 partition and did a checkdisk on the Xp partition. Now it boots up, I log in, and it imeadiatly logs me out back to the log in screen.

During the setup process I told it not to touch the original HD yet somehow it messed it up. How do I solve thiso_O

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello matt832,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Could you explain please whether the problems are only with one of your disks or with both? Are you able to boot the original one? If not what happens when you try?
    Please describe all your steps in wizards when you performed the cloning.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. matt832

matt832 Registered Member

I have a dual boot system, Win 2000 on C: Win Xp on H:. I was using Win XP when I ran the clone program. I was going from a 28G drive to a 120G drive and was allowing the sysem to expand the partitions. I checked the box to continue and it examined each drive. It said my system would be shut down and then cloned. A blue win xp type screen came up and reported the cloning process. Everything proceeded normal untill the error occured on the F: partition.

It then stopped cloning and told me the process was done. The system rebooted and the problem began. I can boot into Win 2000 on C: partition, and I looked at the cloned drive and C:, D:, E:, and part of F: are there, but none of the rest. The H: partition is not there.

I removed the partially cloned drive from the system and I still cannot boot into XP, or Safe mode on the XP Install. I've search the internet and it was suggested I replace my userint.exe file which I did , but I'm still not able to boot into Xp. I have NO DESIRE to reisntall XP my system was setup just as I wanted it, plus I have a great number of programs installed, that is the reason I choose to clone. HELP!

4. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

If it were me..... I would use my Windows XP CD to do a repair install on the XP partition. But that's just me :D

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

Read the whole thing closely at least once before starting!

Use Method 2 - Programs and settings remain intact, but you need to reinstall SP2 and critical security updates if it's not already part of your WinXP CD.

DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!! I WOULD PROBABLY DO THIS, BUT IT'S YOUR MACHINE NOT MINE!!

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello matt832,

First of all please note that you need to unplug your old drive right after the cloning process. Otherwise there may occur errors connected with the fact that you have two identical Windows XP systems.

Could you please create Acronis Report (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317) and send it to support@acronis.com. In your letter please explain what happens when you boot Windows XP from the old disk and from the new one. Please indicate in the subject of your letter that you want to contact Ilya Toytman. I will do my best to help you to solve the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.