Clone drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by PJW, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJW

PJW Registered Member

I've clone my 40 gig notebook drive to a new 100 gig drive using a usb 2.5 external enclusore. Acronics True image infrommd me that clone was successful. Howevern when I replace the old drive with the new drive I cant boot up the new drive windows. I can't even boot up even in safe mode.
    Any suggestions

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Hopefully you haven't erased the 40-gig yet. There are two options I would suggest:

1. If you have a third external drive do an Image Backup to it instead of Clone. Then install the 100 gig and Restore that Backup to it. Or if the Image Backup is small enough to fit on the 40-gig without having to lose any data, first put the Image on the 100-gig then move it to the 40.

2. You can try the Repair feature in Windows XP (I'm assuming you are using XP, if not, then disregard this). When you boot with the XP cd there are two Repair menu items that will come up in the dialogue windows. You want the second one. This way all your programs and data will remain intact.

3. PJW

PJW Registered Member

Thank you for your help. Let me explain a little more. If I check to see under "My Computer" it recogizes that the drive and the information. I then physically change the drives out in my notebook. Upon booting I get a choice of normal widows install or a safe boot install. When I do normal windows it does a disk check first and then Acronis does some checks (analyiizing, asigning and sync) 100% for all. Then it tries to reboot and then I loop back to the same window as "do I want to do norma or safe check install.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello PJW,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please repair the MBR (Master Boot Record) of the hard disk using one of the following methods:

Windows 95/98/Me – boot from Startup Disk (floppy) and run "fdisk /mbr" command;

Windows 2000/XP/2003 – boot from Installation Disc (CD) into Recovery Console and run "fixmbr" command.

For Windows XP, Windows 95/98/ME:

If you experience problems using the above solution, then please download special Acronis utility from http://download.acronis.com/support/mbrautowrite_en.exe. Use it to create a floppy and boot the machine from the floppy.

If you prefer to a fix MBR using a CD, then please download special Acronis utility from http://download.acronis.com/support/mbrautowrite_en.iso. Use it to create a CD and boot the machine from the CD.

The MBR will be rewritten once you boot the computer from the created media and confirm that you want to fix the MBR.

If after this actions your system still not boot please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach the created report.txt file and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.