Clone does not work

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by magooCH, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magooCH

magooCH Registered Member

Hi,

I have bought a new PC, HP dc7800, the old one is a noname with an ASUS P4PE.I have made a copy of the disk with TI from IDE (Old Disk: 80GB, 4 Partitions) to a sata disk (New Disk: 250GB), connected over USB 2.0 on the old PC, no problem so far, but when booting the new PC with the new disk, Windows XP SP2 will crash 5 seconds after the XP Start-Logo is presented, with a blue screen/STOP message. That means the bootsector and the partition will be found, also the sata driver. Before copying the harddisk, I have installed also chipset drivers from HP on my old system. What I also have tried: ASR console works, Safe mode does not work, even in VGA/no network, repair of the installation reverts to the Version with SP SP2, but about 90 Patches were missing after that, and the System drive, wich is in my case on the old PC the Drive letter H:\, Partition 4, is after the Repair the Partition e:\, still Partition 4 of course. Due to that, the system does not run stable, because every 2nd program has an entry/reference to the old h:\ drive instead of the new e:\.

I have an older TI, Version 7, but before upgrading to the newest Version of TI, I have also tried the newest 30 Day trial MigrateEasy, I had abyolutely the same effect.

Any hints?

Regards Markus

2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

With windows xp and restoring hard drives with several partitions, it's always going to be the drive letters.

The problem you describe is the "classic drive letter change" during restoration.

The only way to fix it is to go into the registry of your cloned hard drive and change the drive letters back to what they where on the original hard drive. For this you need a utility on a bootdisk that can boot up your computer and do the drive letter changing on the non-booting hard drive. There are only 2 programs that I know of that can do these type of repairs "paragon justboot corrector" and "avanquest partition commander version 10". I've actually used both of these programs to change drive letters and they both worked. I've seen references that "disk director" can also repair drive letters but I don't have first hand knowledge on whether it can do it.

There are other ways using freeware that can change drive letters, but I also have never tried them and cannot give an opinion if they will work or not. I use paragon because it has worked everytime I've used it and it takes at most 5 minutes to change the drive letters and reboot. The times I've used it the computer booted right up into windows after my repairs. And if you only have one system partition on your hard drive, you only need to change that drive letter, you can leave all the other partitions unassigned, windows will automatically label them during bootup.

Stay away from doing repair installations/fixmbr/fixboots/using different hard drives. I've tried all those fixes and they won't fix drive letter problems. Reloading the image (or recloning) can sometimes work but you might have to do it a couple of times trying different configurations. Maybe next time slave the drive inside the computer instead of on an external usb.(sometimes a small change like that can be all you need.) .
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174958

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

magooCH, could you please clarify if you're performing this operation within Windows OS or using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media? If you've not tried rescue media then please try to perform the cloning using it. You can also download free trial of Acronis True Image 11 Home and clone your hard drive with the latest version of the product.

If you've tried all these options and issue still exist then submit a request for technical support. Provide all the information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.