Clone Archive Backup Step Hangs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by PelegS, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PelegS

PelegS Registered Member

I am running Windows XP SP2. I am doing periodic incrementals. The only limit set is on the number of backups. The incremental backup completes, and it seems to be completing without error. If the backups limit is reached, the last log entry is titled "Clone Archive". The Status window displays a full "Total Progress" bar and where the progress amount is normally shown (to the right of the title "Total Progress:"), it displays "remaining". According to Windows Task Manager, TrueImageHomeService.exe chews up 90% or more of the CPU. It's been in that state now for more than 45 minutes.

The last time this happened, I killed the backup and it seems to have left a 100MB file with this name out there:
    2B85BA2A-D8FA-4989-BB87-9FD47CB95D5DFDP1.TIB
    Am I doing something wrong?

Addendum: After about 55 minutes, it had to increase my page file from 800MB to 1.2GB. What is it doing??!!??

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Hi,

I assume you have Ti2009?

If yes:
    I think this 'hanger' is the consolidation of Ti2009 (see your manual).
    Consolidation runs longer like a new fullbackup (the results in my tests).

It seems to be that nobody works in the PC but it's wrong.
    Ti2009 is working. Let him work ;)

BTW:
    I have no Ti2009 myself but I tested the 15days trial version thoroughly concerning my cases of use.

3. PelegS

PelegS Registered Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention it. I am using TI 11. I might understand this consolidation taking a while, but more than an hour? That seems to be too long.

It has been my experience, which spans 34 years, that almost every time I have needed to restore a file, or a machine, it was because I fat-fingered something or installed a misbehaving program. I never had a hard drive crash on any of my computers. A noteable instance was when I was working at NASA, there was a hard drive failure. I found out about the disaster when I came to work in the morning and everyone was sitting around crying like their dog just died. I said something like, "Cheer Up! The operators do nightly backups." Someone responded, "No, those pot-heads haven't done backups in over a week!!!" Seeing I wasn't crying, someone asked, "Hey, why aren't you upset?" I said, "Well, I never trusted those burned-out screw-ups, so I've been doing my own daily backups for months." I was the most envied programmer on the staff that day.

So, I backup to protect myself against myself. And since my error rate is quite high, I do backups periodically throughout the day. If it takes over an hour for each backup to finish, that is unacceptable because I'd like to do a differential or incremental about every 2 hours.

I have been doing incrementals, thinking it would take less time. I think I'm going to reconfigure the backups to do differentials. I've got the room, about 1.1 TB, so I can deal with the size. I'm guessing that since each differential is independent of the others, it can just delete the older ones and TI won't try any sort of consolidation operation.

Regards,
    Paul S

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello PelegS,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

As noted by MrMorse, it's the consolidation process indeed, in Acronis True Image 11 Home as well. As the consolidation process needs to create a new file based on original full backup and the subsequent incremental one, it may take as long as a new full backup creation. The consolidation process is applied when creating differential backups to Acronis Backup Location as well.

For your purpose, I may recommend you to use Acronis Secure Zone. It functions similarly to Acronis Backup Location, but instead of consolidation it just deletes the oldest backup set (full one + incrementals that belong to it). In detail, Acronis Secure Zone functions the following way:
    • If there is not enough free space in the zone to create a backup, the program deletes the oldest full backup with all subsequent incremental/differential backups.
    • If there is only one full backup (with subsequent incremental/differential backups) left and a full backup is in progress, then the old full backup and incremental/differential backups are deleted.
    • Otherwise, (only one full backup left, and an incremental/differential backup is in progress) you will get a message about space error. In that case you will have to either re-create the full backup or increase Acronis Secure Zone.

You can find details on Acronis True Image 11 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. PelegS

PelegS Registered Member

I understand what it is trying to do. It's just that it takes much longer than creating a full image. Wait... perhaps the problem is that I have been starting with an image, rather than a file backup. I'll have to check that.

Anyway, it takes about 15 minutes to image the drive, about 5 minutes to do the incremental or differential, and then after about an hour and 15 minutes, the consolidation, it calls it "Clone Archive", dies. That is, TI aborts.
    That is not exactly what I want, but I can live with it. I would like to be able to do a full backup and then do a set of incrementals or differentials after I have done, say, 5 incrementals, each one done every 4 hours or so.
    What if I have backups of C: and F: going into the secure zone. Now, C: is the oldest backup, but running a backup of F: causes the space to be used up. You mean that it will just delete the backup of C:, leaving me unprotected? That doesn't seem like a very good design to me.
    I have got sections of that bugger just about memorized, but I never seem to be able to find the answers I need.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

In the build #9646 of Acronis True Image Home 2009 at the 'Backup method' window you can select 'Remove old archives' option. This will help to avoid the consolidation and to expedite the process.

Thank you.

__

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.